Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because earlier, I posted info about (in 1954) a full-sized Chrysler averaging 118 mph for 24 hours.

The reason for using the Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird should be obvious.
But wasn't these closed course? Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Totally irresponsible IMHO. It's one thing to speed 10-20 over here and there, but it's an entirely different kettle of fish to average 98mph for 28+ hours.

Nothing really to brag about anyway. Go set a new lap record at the many, many road course tracks in the US. Then you'll have something worthy to brag about. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...

I'm not saying I'm all for this if they kill someone, but this has to be the hardest record you could break for any race! Look at what they did in that time and locations with cops involved IMHO these guys can brag and top anyone's else's racing story....

Old 11-01-2013, 07:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Because earlier, I posted info about (in 1954) a full-sized Chrysler averaging 118 mph for 24 hours.

The reason for using the Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird should be obvious.
Let's see, extremely conspicuous, gas sucking, (relatively) poor handling, no amenities for a long trip, 40+ years old. Oh yeah, obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
But wasn't these closed course? Big difference.
I think there is a lot more to winning this than just having a car that can go fast for a long time.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Let's see, extremely conspicuous, gas sucking, (relatively) poor handling, no amenities for a long trip, 40+ years old. Oh yeah, obvious.

The reason I said they were obvious choices was due to their NASCAR heritage and because the Charger Daytona was the first stock car in NASCAR to exceed 200 mph on a closed course.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Totally irresponsible IMHO. It's one thing to speed 10-20 over here and there, but it's an entirely different kettle of fish to average 98mph for 28+ hours.

Nothing really to brag about anyway. Go set a new lap record at the many, many road course tracks in the US. Then you'll have something worthy to brag about. Anyone can go fast in a straight line...
Endurance so yeah it's worthy to be bragged about. Setting a record on any road course isn't worthy of bragging automatically. No traffic, no cops and no issues of endurance. America is more than just straight lines. The route has many twists and turns though it is predominantly straight. You are comparing two different things. If what he did isn't that great how about you get off your arse and do something more worthy of such publicity.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:29 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I wonder if these guys want to take on the record of under 12 days for the 16,000 mile trip through 14 countries from Ushuaia, Argentina to Point Barrow, Alaska on the Pan American highway? That record was set in 2011 in a VW Toureg. (trip included a short hop by ship from Colombia to Panama to get around Darien Swamp where there is no road).

Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
The reason I said they were obvious choices was due to their NASCAR heritage and because the Charger Daytona was the first stock car in NASCAR to exceed 200 mph on a closed course.
I'm a Mopar guy and love those cars you mentioned but those would be horrible choices for this. Well they might be good with about $100k worth of modern updates. Brakes, suspension, drivetrain (don't think an old 727 would last), lights, motor, seats...the list goes on. So basically a new car...

Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm a Mopar guy and love those cars you mentioned but those would be horrible choices for this. Well they might be good with about $100k worth of modern updates. Brakes, suspension, drivetrain (don't think an old 727 would last), lights, motor, seats...the list goes on. So basically a new car...
Do you mean choices for a cannonball run?

Years ago, quite a few drivers would drive on long stretched of road in Nevada, back when there was no speed limit outside the city limits.

Most of them drove cars which were not modified. I don't see why updates would be required in a '60s or '70s car. The engine? The Mopars engines were tough! Seats? Why would seats need to be upgraded and how?

The Mopar 727 transmission was tough, too. I should know; I have a lot of experience with them. Some people take their vintage Mopars drag racing without bothering to modify the transmission at all! They can take it!

Suspension/brakes? I think someone mentioned earlier that the cannonball run was, most of the time, straight-line/open road driving.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:52 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Do you mean choices for a cannonball run?

Years ago, quite a few drivers would drive on long stretched of road in Nevada, back when there was no speed limit outside the city limits.

Most of them drove cars which were not modified. I don't see why updates would be required in a '60s or '70s car. The engine? The Mopars engines were tough! Seats? Why would seats need to be upgraded and how?

The Mopar 727 transmission was tough, too. I should know; I have a lot of experience with them. Some people take their vintage Mopars drag racing without bothering to modify the transmission at all! They can take it!

Suspension/brakes? I think someone mentioned earlier that the cannonball run was, most of the time, straight-line/open road driving.
Last cannonball run was in the '70s. Do you mean a modern equivalent like the Gumball 3000 or a hypothetical run that occurred in the '70s? A '70s mopar would not be competitive in a modern Gumball 3000 run, no. It could do it. The point of Gumball isn't really speed as much as panache, but it wouldn't be competitive with more modern cars.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Have they had the time and distance verified by GPS and video? Their story might be legit but when I saw their photos and who they were they seemed a little fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive