Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with a full detailing (probably including a clay bar as I drove my car twice from here to SoCal - it could use a good cleaning of bug debris that's probably embedded in my bumper, hehe) and then follow up with a brushless car wash every so often (without them drying).

When I can finally afford my own home, it's when I'll re-invest in all my detailing products. Trust me, I'm the type who'd be outside washing and waxing my car on a Sunday morning. Granted, this was before I moved north, so I probably wouldn't be out there once the temps drop. I hate living in an apartment.

I haven't really lived anywhere but SoCal, but I just found it weird that all the car washes that Portland has is automated and do it yourself types. But then, I guess if it's raining or this cold this often, maybe there's no point to having full-service car washes like socal. I'm learning to adjust to my new surroundings, just need to figure out how to do it best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
If I was in the OP's situation... this is what I would do
Take it to a self serve car wash and power rinse the car down to get all the heavy dirt off.
Bring it home and do a wipe down with a waterless wash.... something like Meg's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere.
Provided you use the right technique and wash media, it really should not induce any scratches.
Pretty good instructions on how to use the waterless wash in the following...

Review & How-To: Meguiar's D115 Rinsefree Express Wash and Wax

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
If I was in the OP's situation... this is what I would do
Take it to a self serve car wash and power rinse the car down to get all the heavy dirt off.
Bring it home and do a wipe down with a waterless wash.... something like Meg's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere.
Provided you use the right technique and wash media, it really should not induce any scratches.
Pretty good instructions on how to use the waterless wash in the following...

Review & How-To: Meguiar's D115 Rinsefree Express Wash and Wax
Good advice. Self service car washes are the next best thing to washing at home. You control the pressure washer. Take your time, spend a few extra quarters. Take a wash mitt with you and after the soap/soak wash the dirt off by hand. Then wash and rinse normally. If the facility is roomy and the operators don't mind, hand wax the car there after drying with the wax of your choice.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Gotta wash it yourself if you want a decent job done for under 40 bucks.

I find that warm water tends to work pretty well. breaks down the dirt on the paint, and doesn't leave any annoying film behind - you just have to dry it fast.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Wrong. Car wash soap, at least what can be purchased at any parts store or target, is desiged NOT to remove wax. Dish soap or something similar will strip the car before a full detail.
Correct. Your standard OTC car wash will not strip wax unless you use it super concentrated (and even then, it won't always do that). There are a few car washes that can strip wax, but they are enthusiast grade and clearly state what dilution will achieve this.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
I was reading a story about two weeks ago where EPA Agents pulled up and stopped a highschool cheerleader carwash.

Evidently they are cracking down on outside car washes....even in your own driveway.

They say any type of car washing where the dirty/soapy water goes into a storm sewer is illegal!

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 11-04-2013, 03:19 PM

358 posts, read 886,658 times
This is the best kind:

haunted

Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
This is the best kind:

haunted
A little late, don't ya think?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
This is the best kind:

haunted
Automatic car washes are scarey enough by themselves.... thinking about the swirls and scratches just gives me the shivers!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Cool Hand Luke carwash CUT (only Joy Harmon) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive