Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle with high clearance for work, and I want a big one because we are a family of 5 who spends many winter weekends driving up to Vermont to go skiing. I currently drive a Tahoe, but it is 10 years old and it's not going to last forever. Maintenance is starting to get high enough where I might start looking to replace it. I love the Tahoe and may just get another one, but who knows, maybe I will like something else better. As it is, the Tahoe is filled to capacity for our ski trips, so I can't go much smaller. This doesn't leave a whole lot of options. I can get a loaded Tahoe for somewhere in the mid $50's. I don't mind spending more, as long as I am getting my money's worth. I don't really care about making a statement. For example, I can get a loaded Lexus LX for $90K, but unless I am missing something, the extra $35K isn't getting me much more. I am starting to look at the Mercedes GL, the Infinity QX80, Ford Expedition, and other large SUVs. Anyone have any suggestions? Likes and dislikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Wait for the 2015 Tahoe/Yukons to get released next year. Interior be will 10x better. All rows of seats will fold flat, with the hit of a button. Or you can get a 2014 for $10K+ off when the 2015 release date gets closer. Spring for the Denali with the 6.2 making 420HP.

2015 Yukon Full Size SUV | GMC

Old 11-03-2013, 02:35 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Get a used one, let someone else eat the depreciation.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle with high clearance for work, and I want a big one because we are a family of 5 who spends many winter weekends driving up to Vermont to go skiing. I currently drive a Tahoe, but it is 10 years old and it's not going to last forever. Maintenance is starting to get high enough where I might start looking to replace it. I love the Tahoe and may just get another one, but who knows, maybe I will like something else better. As it is, the Tahoe is filled to capacity for our ski trips, so I can't go much smaller. This doesn't leave a whole lot of options. I can get a loaded Tahoe for somewhere in the mid $50's. I don't mind spending more, as long as I am getting my money's worth. I don't really care about making a statement. For example, I can get a loaded Lexus LX for $90K, but unless I am missing something, the extra $35K isn't getting me much more. I am starting to look at the Mercedes GL, the Infinity QX80, Ford Expedition, and other large SUVs. Anyone have any suggestions? Likes and dislikes?

How about a small trailer?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Suburban seems like the logical choice if you like the Tahoe you currently have but it's a bit too small. The 2015 (coming early 2014) LTZ models get magnetic ride control that was previously only in the Caddy. It'll also have a more comprehensive tech package offerings, so things like blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise are available.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
A buddy had an LX470, and sold it with 270K miles on it. The Denali he just bought is sitting in my driveway until he is ready to surprise his wife with it. I have no interest in or use for an SUV, and besides occasionally driving one as I did his, I have little experience in them. But I'd only driven the Denali 50 miles before I realized the LX drove so much better. Less body roll, less pitch on braking and in corners, quieter, more stable. Relative to it the Denali feels cheap. All the controls feel tighter and more precise in the LX. From what my buddy tells me the AWD systems don't even compare.

As you say, it's a big difference in price (he wanted another LX, but a used vs the used Denali, it's nearly double the price) but there are many reasons why. As someone said, buy a used LX for what the Denali costs new.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Magnetic ride control started with the Caddy, but it's been on the Corvette for a decade now.

As far as a large SUV goes, the Infiniti has gotten very good reviews and it's outselling the Lexus LX you mention. You also have the option of buying a 2013 model (the QX80 is just a rebadged QX56) and saving quite a bit of money. My neighbor has one, 400hp and 7 spd transmission and is pretty darn quick for a vehicle of its size. Said he liked it much better than the Escalade, which of course is above a Denali or Suburban.

I'm not a big fan of Infiniti after having a Q45 a while back, but the QX56/80 is worth a look.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
since you like the tahoe you have now, i say why change? the ford expedition is a nice SUV, but for you the tahoe has a known track record. in the end the choice is yours, one way to decide though is to go out and rent some of the SUVs you are thinking about for a weekend, and see if they match up to the tahoe. its a cheap way to get a weekend long test drive, and you have no salesman in the seat next to you constantly talking up their product while talking down the competitors product.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
You've obviously got the money to just buy whatever you want, so just buy whatever you want. ALL of the full-size SUVs are good - as they danged well better be!

If you don't like what you get, trade it off in a couple years.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Ford Expedition or Chev/GMC Suburb/Yukon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive