U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,606,690 times

Advertisements

My experience over the years is that turbocharged gasoline engines from any manufacturer tend to be more problematic than normally aspirated gas engines. Subaru is not any different. That is why I wish that Subaru would bring its turbodiesel to the US. Turbocharged diesel engines--because the engine is already designed for the higher pressures and stresses to cope with compression ignition and higher compression ratios--tend to be much more durable than either turbocharged or normally aspirated gasoline engines.

Road conditions will dictate what vehicle works best. Here is an example: A road that I regularly drive traverses a couple of 10,000 ft. elevation remote mountain passes. It often can be snowpacked for days at a time. If the road has been plowed and the wind isn't blowing, I can drive it in a FWD sedan with traction control and all-season tires without much problem. Where the problem comes is when the wind blows and starts drifting the snow. In that scenario, traction isn't the problem, it's also ground clearance. My FWD car has about 5" of ground clearance--not enough when you have to power through a drift that is 8"-10" deep. Then an AWD or 4WD with higher ground clearance is needed. Note that many AWD cars don't have much more ground clearance than my 5" clearance FWD, so they wouldn't be much help. Subaru figured this out and that is why the Outback, Forester, and Crosstrek all have 8"+ of ground clearance. Of course, if the snow gets drifted much deeper than that, no AWD car, or normal size 4WD pickup or SUV will get through it--time to stay home then.

One of the sad things is that Subaru quit making the Legacy Outback sedan. A friend had one of those. It had over 8" of ground clearance, but handled like a normal sedan. The only thing that he didn't like about it was that it was only available with the 3.0 boxer 6--a powerful, but pretty thirsty engine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,894 times
We get oily, rain soaked, flooded, streets in Florida, along with icing during our winters, about once in every five years...
I buy AWD Fords on Craigslist for $900.00 that are in great condition, usually needing few cosmetic repairs.

This '98 Ford Explorer XLT AWD had just come out of the shop, and was owned for 3 months by the 19 yo who decided he likes Meth, more than work, so Mom sold it cheap! Just had come out of the shop, so has run the first 1,000 miles error free, after i put on a new $6.82 driver's door handle. Has ice cold air!

The battery went flat third day i had it, but, was a Wally World 3 year full exchange 700 CA unit, so the new one, was FREE to me! They made it all like I just bought it, $127.70, for another full three years!

With over 20 ford Explorers here, on Craigslist, offered at $750 to $$2250, and with some bargaining skills, one can be yours!

If it breaks, I can do major repairs, though, it is often less money to just go grab a replacement, transfer the best parts, and scrap the remnants!

OH, Yeah, some of you like to "brand shop", and are willing to toss the cash around... go ahead!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive