Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Oh god. Well, I guess it's another boring Accord for me. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If you're just driving a car to get around, I can't think of any compelling reason to own an AWD car in Florida. On the other hand, if everything else about the Forester fits your needs, I wouldn't walk away from it just because it's AWD.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
not looking at Forester, looking at Outback.

I wasn't looking to buy a station wagon, but I always liked the look of the Outback and always wanted to test drive it. I test drove sedans from every carmaker and then the Outback. As an Accord owner for 20+ years I am as shocked as anyone that I fell in love with the Outback.

I can't describe it. It drives like a car but has the comfort, spaciousness and feel of a much larger and more expensive car. And it handles/drives amazing.

Yes it's going to be a commuting car but I do have a dog to haul around and it does rain a lot here and well, the Outback is just 1,000 times more comfortable in every way than an Accord. From the seats to the space to the ride to the sound system. Even the most expensive Accord has a crappy sound system.

I just don't want the repairs associated with AWD to bite me in the $$$ 10 years from now.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
not looking at Forester, looking at Outback . . .
Whatever -- doesn't change the point. If it ticks every other box, it's silly to walk away from it just because it's AWD. Lots of people buy cars with features they don't necessarily want/need because it has other features they do want/need.

Unless you abuse the hell out of it -- as in use it for a rally car -- AWD drivelines are no more maintenenace-intensive than 2WD drivelines. An AWD car isn't going to cost you any more in repairs unless there's a catastrophic driveline failure associated specifically with the AWD system, which is extremely unlikely.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:58 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
You don't need a reason to own an AWD any more than you need a reason to own a FWD or a RWD. Can the FWD or RWD suffice on a dry or wet surface? Yep. Does that mean that an AWD is unnecessary? Nope. AWD will give you an extra set of wheels with powered traction - and that is it. You don't really pay anymore for it and it doesn't really hurt your gas mileage either way (other than normal driving in snow will reduce your efficiency rating). If you do any camping, off-roading (going fishing and having to get thru some mud?), driving in a climate with 4 seasons, or just like to have that extra set of powered wheels, then an AWD makes sense. If you are in a warm climate (year round), It really isn't a matter of "need" as it is just "want".

Old 11-05-2013, 02:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Never owned an AWD car before. Done lots of research, and the "consensus" seems to be that unless you do a lot of driving in snow or mountains, there is no reason to buy an AWD b/c they cost more to maintain. Is this correct? So basically if I buy an AWD and live in Florida, I am wasting my money?

But if I don't need AWD, then I shouldn't even be looking at Outback. Correct?
I'm not going to give you advise on whether you should by a Honda or a Subaru. SO much of that is totally subjective.

As an extreme Northerner, I can assure you that under some conditions, having AWD is priceless. A couple times of having some knuckle-head tow truck driver damage your car while towing it out of shallow snow will more than pay for the extra money to buy the AWD.

However, there are climates and conditions where the AWD is not - in my opinion - warranted. Unless you regularly get snow and/or ice where you live, AWD is probably overkill.

That said, buy what you like and like what you drive.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
In some cases, AWD (or 4WD for some vehicles) may be a lot easier to sell too. Take Jeeps for example. Most people who buy a Jeep, buy the 4wd versions. It can be incredibly hard to move a 2wd one, no one wants them. Been there, done that.
I don't think resale is an issue in this case. The OP is not trying to decide between a FWD or AWD version of the same car. They are two completely different cars. The only thing affecting resale is how much the individual cars sell for in his area.

I agree that AWD isn't needed in FL, but the Outback is still a good car with high marks for safety (in crashes) and reliability.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
not looking at Forester, looking at Outback.

I wasn't looking to buy a station wagon, but I always liked the look of the Outback and always wanted to test drive it. I test drove sedans from every carmaker and then the Outback. As an Accord owner for 20+ years I am as shocked as anyone that I fell in love with the Outback.
Sounds to me like you need to buy an Outback.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Never owned an AWD car before. Done lots of research, and the "consensus" seems to be that unless you do a lot of driving in snow or mountains, there is no reason to buy an AWD b/c they cost more to maintain. Is this correct? So basically if I buy an AWD and live in Florida, I am wasting my money?

FYI, trying to decide between Honda Accord (cheap to maintain for 10-15 years) and Subaru Outback (not as cheap due to AWD)

Accord benefits
Cheap to buy
Extremely reliable
Cheap to maintain

Outback benefits
Reliable
Better ride
Better handling
Better interior
Better audio
More utilitarian

But if I don't need AWD, then I shouldn't even be looking at Outback. Correct?
Do you really believe those tradeoffs are fair? The Accord is a sedan. The Outback is a station wagon/SUV.

The Outback is not better handling. Not sure it has a better ride either. The Outback will also be slower, and use more fuel.

I have no problems with Subaru, but I think your assessment of the two vehicles is flawed.

As for AWD, it has advantages on dry pavement and of course in slippery conditions including rain. So its benefit is not completely wasted in Florida. AWD is more complex, it saps a bit of power, and it adds weight.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Not all AWD are created equal.
AWD with torque vectoring will enhance the car's cornering ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive