Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

Wheel torque from tire shops is just short of criminal abuse of a defenseless vehicle. Second only to advocating nitrogen refills of your tires. I usually respond, "80% nitrogen for free is good enough." Then they claim the hydrogen will harm the tires. What are they teaching in trade schools these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's something they shouldn't have to be told any more than a steakhouse should have to be told how to cook a steak medium-rare.
I don't know about that.

last year I had a flat. just got around to buying 2 better tires for the van, been riding on a questionable spare for about a year, with no spare backup.

when I took it to National Pride, I told the office lady I wanted the 2 newer tires mounted and put on the front, and the l.f. as the spare, she stood there and looked at me, thought process in effect with her, and she said, oh, the one in the back of the van was to get replaced with newer, and the r.f. with the newer.

bingo!

I like people who can figure stuff out on their own, without having to draw them a picture!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I don't know about that.
I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
last year I had a flat. just got around to buying 2 better tires for the van, been riding on a questionable spare for about a year, with no spare backup.

when I took it to National Pride, I told the office lady I wanted the 2 newer tires mounted and put on the front, and the l.f. as the spare, she stood there and looked at me, thought process in effect with her, and she said, oh, the one in the back of the van was to get replaced with newer, and the r.f. with the newer.

bingo!

I like people who can figure stuff out on their own, without having to draw them a picture!
I presume you were dealing with identically-sized tires and wheels. That isn't the OP's case. A tire shop should know where to put which set when you have different sized wheels and tires.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I do.

Touching story. Doesn't change the fact that a tire shop should know where to put which tire set when you have different sized wheels and tires.
Yeah well, not many technicians would install larger tires on the front or mix axles. Kind of goofy, ain't it?

Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I took my car to Goodyear to get my winter wheels and tires installed. They are already mounted on the rim. I have staggered tires (wider in rear). They freaking put one wide one and one skinny one in the rear and front.

I've been driving like this for about 500 miles. I just noticed now and am going to get it fixed. Will this have any long term problems besides uneven tire wear? Like anything serious for the suspension?
And why exactly do you have "skinny" and "normal" ones on your car?

Anyway, 2 things are immeasurable: human greed and human stupidity.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I had my car serviced at the local garage a few years ago.

Luckily I drove straight home, a few hundred yards away and was having a cup of tea, when they rang me and asked me to bring the car back.

When there they proceeded to tighten up the wheel nuts on one of the wheels.
ROFL You made me think of this scene. Change the wording a bit (by occupation) and it's quite hilarious

Lose? I don't lose - I win! I win! I'm a lawyer, that's my job, that's what I do! - YouTube

Too bad more people in various occupations don't have the passion as expressed by Keanu Reeves!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 PM

37 posts, read 51,554 times
My girlfriend had a company car that had coupons to use for service payments. We took it to a quick lube place and I got to watch the "technician" service the car. He rotated the tires and then used what looked like a harbor freight impact to tighten the lug nuts. Then I watched him use the crustiest looking plastic jug to transfer clean new oil across the shop to the car. What type and how much crud must have gotten in that fresh oil before it got in the car I'll never know.

When it was done the manager proceeded to tell us it was done and that they aired up the tires to a healthy 42 psi. I asked him what would make him set the air that high considering his shop l doesn't sell tires. After he stared dimly at me for a minute I told him that I doubted Ford's engineers would specify that and instead of using the MAX pressure written on the tire he should check the door jamb sticker for the proper pressure.

He went and had them reset the air pressure.

When he got back I opened the trunk and handed him the lug wrench. I said I would like him to make sure the lugs were tight as the impact I saw the guy use looked and sounded weak. 4 out of 5 were pretty much finger tight. After they were at least hand tight I told my girl that I would torque them properly when we got home. She said to the manager that she wouldn't have known any of this if I hadn't been there.

I told her this right in front of him and some customers that were waiting......

"Honey, I don't expect you to know about cars and maintenance. The people who are taking money from you are the ones who are supposed to know what they are doing. These people's incompetence at minimum could harm your car by your tires going bald or your engine wearing prematurely by contaminating your oil. In truth they could injure or even kill people by causing an accident due to your wheel falling off."

The looks on the customer's faces was priceless. If we were paying for or keeping that car I would have gone postal. I was only just super pissed because the poor car deserves better.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And why exactly do you have "skinny" and "normal" ones on your car?

My car comes with staggered wheels also from the factory. How does questioning that help anything?

Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
I have fat tires on the back so I have enough traction to accelerate from 55 to 120 quick enough to pass the dip*^%# in the left lane

Old 11-07-2013, 02:03 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I have fat tires on the back so I have enough traction to accelerate from 55 to 120 quick enough to pass the dip*^%# in the left lane
What are you driving, a top fuel dragster? Don't understand what traction issues one would have accelerating from 55 mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive