Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

Just saw this on Yahoo and boy is it STUPID. Chrysler is calling receipients of early Vipers to destroy the cars. In some cases these early cars were donated to trade schools. One of the reasons stated was that some of these cars were taken on unauthorised joy rides, crashed and the survivors would sue Chrystler because technically they still owned the car. So if I were to steal a fast car, get in a crash, get hurt I could sue the owner because he owned a fast car that I could steal but couldn't handle? Sounds like a money making scam to me...
What is really disgraceful about Chrystler is why don't the let the schools sell their cars to collectors? There isn't a school in America that couldn't use some cash for the kids.
Only in America would a perfectly good car that could benefit so many be ordered destroyed by lawyers.

On another level didn't us TAX payers bail out Chrysler? It seems stupid that they are allowed to waste an opportunity to pay back a bit and helping out the schools.

The link.
Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,292 times
Just saw this too, what a shame...maybe Jay Leno will step in and buy them all?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Just saw this on Yahoo and boy is it STUPID. Chrysler is calling receipients of early Vipers to destroy the cars. In some cases these early cars were donated to trade schools. One of the reasons stated was that some of these cars were taken on unauthorised joy rides, crashed and the survivors would sue Chrystler because technically they still owned the car. So if I were to steal a fast car, get in a crash, get hurt I could sue the owner because he owned a fast car that I could steal but couldn't handle? Sounds like a money making scam to me...
What is really disgraceful about Chrystler is why don't the let the schools sell their cars to collectors? There isn't a school in America that couldn't use some cash for the kids.
Only in America would a perfectly good car that could benefit so many be ordered destroyed by lawyers.

On another level didn't us TAX payers bail out Chrysler? It seems stupid that they are allowed to waste an opportunity to pay back a bit and helping out the schools.

The link.
Yahoo!
Why should collectors be the ones to benefit, are they special?

Solyndra got hundreds of millions from the US tax payers and when they went belly up they smashed many of the unsold solar panels. Government at work.

There are many reasons why these cars were ordered destroyed and probably some of that has to do with meeting safety and emission regulations. Like one off of many things built, companies are hesitant to sell them because there is a wealth created and who gets to say who is allowed to buy them?

Collectors don't enjoy any special status in life, why should they get the opportunity that no one else gets? What about the person that would also like to own one of those cars but is just the typical person without a special interest? Who gets to decide?

Chrysler is doing the right thing. Those cars were identified for a special purpose that no longer fill the need intended so crush them.

Chrysler is not an individual and they have some liability if they are the owner of the cars. This isn't like stealing a car from an individual. The survivors could be those affected by the crash, not the people who stole the car. If you leave your car unlocked and some child gets in and crashes, hurting themselves or others, you bet they are going to come after you. It is called negligence. Since Chrysler can't adequately safeguard the cars because they are in the hands of others, they choose to limit their liability and get rid of them and rightfully so.

The problem isn't Chrysler, it is the people who are charged with keeping those cars secure and used for the purpose intended. If they can't do that, tough.

Understandably, car buffs see this as a travesty because they are into cars. Chrysler see them as units.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Before you go all out nuts on this, you should realize that this happens.... A LOT. The cars were donated in the sense that the schools could use them, but the ownership still stayed with Chrysler so the schools couldn't sell the cars.

The only group that could sell the aforementioned Vipers is Chrysler.

These are pre production test mules and them getting sent to the crusher happens a lot with those too. These got plenty of use out of them prior to being crushed so it's not all bad.

Also, due to them being used as cars that schools are working on, I'm sure some of them don't run, or have had extensive work on them that would make the resale value of them very low. Out of all the ~90 of them that would eventually be crushed, most of them would only be useful being sold as parts.

So if you're Chrysler, you can either:
A- keep getting sued
B- cut your losses and crush the cars.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Just saw this too, what a shame...maybe Jay Leno will step in and buy them all?
Jay Leno tried to buy the #4 car but was denied.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Seems to me it makes a difference whether they were donated or loaned. And if donated what the conditions were.

If donated without conditions- then the present owner (school) can do what it likes.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If someone steals my car and gets hurt crashing it I will be suing THEM as well as pressing criminal charges. Even if I leave the keys in the ignition no one has the right to steal my property.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Yeah, because nobody could forsee a bunch of community college students taking these cars out for joy rides. Funny it took this long to find THAT problem!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
The vocational school always had loaner cars... most did not have VIN numbers.

They could be returned upon demand or were crushed with the school getting the money along with a certificate of destruction.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

The link.
Yahoo!
Note that only in America can a person take an "unauthorized joy ride", get hurt, sue the car company (for this example) and have a jury of 12 booger eating morons nod in agreement that the key box, where the keys were locked, should have been crow bar resistant and award the thief millions of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive