Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times

Advertisements

Road America and Black hawk a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^Thank you. The additional investment in an OEM racer shows.

I was concerned about smacking the wall or failing the brakes in my domestic coupe. Hence the big $$ shopping list to address weak points.
Brakes are the most important upgrade for cars that aren't really "track-ready" from the factory (the M3 is).

Fresh brake fluid (perhaps something like ATE Super Blue with a higher boiling point) and some more aggressive pads and you should be fine. As far as tires, any basic summer performance street tire will be fine.

You're REALLY unlikely to hit a wall your first time out as long as you don't do anything completely stupid.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 PM

589 posts, read 7,646,713 times

Back in the day (mid 1970's) we raced Datsun 510's, running 331 cube Chevys and Doug Nash 5 speeds, all through the SCCA's (Sports Car Club of America) Southwest Rally Circuit. There was something special about flying across the Somnora Desert at 140+ m.p.h. and 3 feet off the ground. It's a feeling that I've never been able to capture since.

iI was great winning the championship in '77 but the the true fun was the wide open pedal to the floor racing with others who were in love with the same genre of automotive madness as us.

It's been over 33 years since we competed but damned if I don't want to get back into it again because...I don't why because; I just do.

Our 331's ran about 825 horse at 8200 rpm.

Ron

Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wish I lived in an area where I could take my Heep off-road more. There's no public off-roading around here.

You might be thrilled to hear this then. Thompson is getting a track ! Click the road course picture under where it says Track Progress over on the right side once the page loads.and watch what pops up! Started construction beginning of June and August 27th 2013 on the garage building! Enjoy!
Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park | The northeast?s premier motorsports and entertainment destination

Last edited by 12GO; 11-10-2013 at 01:26 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 01:36 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
I have an 80 Turbo Trans Am that I am going to get back in shape over winter. That car pulled over 1g left and right 20 years ago! (1.09 left, 1.07 right). With todays tires, I am sure those new Camaros would still not keep up with it in the turns or straights. The 301 block is still in it, of course it still has the 400 crank in it with a 4.125 bore (the 301T block was a great performance block to build, but no one else I know of really looked at them to see what they could do besides Herb Adams. Factory cranks were junk!). I just got a new 20" by 27" air to air intercooler for it (never had one on it before!) and the new turbo/waste gate should be in any day. Without a turbo, at 8.8 to 1 compression, the engine made 633hp yesterday on the dyno. (I like owning a engine dyno ! 2000hp LAND&SEA brand, WITH 18% HEAVY , which most is only around 8%)

Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I just have springs, front sway bar, and a more aggressive street alignment. I'm running street tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sports (good tire). I had Nitto NT-05's on my Porsche, which were grippier but didn't last as long and noisier.

Honestly I'm thinking of going back to stock springs for the ride quality and better clearance. You don't really have to do anything on a car like the M3 if you're just starting out.

I'd wager I'd be no slower at all if the car was 100% stock.

If you do one of the more general track day groups, like SCDA in the northeast, you see all kinds of cars. I've raced among mostly stock Mazda3's, GTI's, Civic SI's. They can be pretty fast. It's all about the driver.

Once you start getting better and your car's grip is limiting your experience, tires/brakes/suspension is the first step. R-compound tires are a bad idea for a beginner as they tend to break traction less predictably and at higher speeds. At least the street tires prevent you from going too fast in the corners and "warn" more when you're on the edge.
My GTO, while fast, is no M3 when it comes to handling. I've made it much better than it was. But I'm still unable to reach its limitations consistently. It certainlyis about the driver, more than the car, for most people. The aformentioned ex-racer buddy drove my car, and in less than 10 minutes I wanted to get out. He could wring so much more ot of it than I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^Thank you. The additional investment in an OEM racer shows.

I was concerned about smacking the wall or failing the brakes in my domestic coupe. Hence the big $$ shopping list to address weak points.
Well...don't. No matter what you're driving it's up to you to know the limitations of the vehicle. Improving the car raises those limits, but if you can't recognize them and drive accordingly, it doesn't matter if you're in a bulldozer or a GT3. You're gonna crash.

As an example, I mentioned earlier that I was chasing a Viper at CMP. I was holding my own as far as speed goes, but when it comes to braking and cornering, he was in a completely different class. My buddy kept telling me I couldn't brake as fast or corner as well, but I didn't want to hear that. So I kept sliding around when braking and cornering, and losing ground on him. In particular, there is a hairpin right hander that if there had been a wall I may very well have smacked it because I was so out of shape on the first lap. But there was no wall, so I let it hang out much farther than was smart. Gotta find the limits.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Most brake pads and street tires are not well suited to aggressive track use so those are the critical mods for satisfying track driving. So a second set of wheels and skill at painless pad changes are pretty important.

I have never seen any opportunity to drive a track alone, you are always put in a group with similar skills and a set of appropriate rules for passing, etc. The track operator must have some insurance, emergency service, corner workers, and track management so without a good number of participants they cannot afford to run an event.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:54 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
For first timers all you need is a good set of street tires and street pads. Your not going to be cornering or driving deep as a beginner.
After a couple of track days you can switch to track pads and high temp brake fluid.
Once you go from beginner to intermediate than it might be time for better tires but still not race tires, your not ready yet.

I know lots of guys who go for slicks right after their first track day only to be embarrassed by more experienced drivers driving on street tires.

The best way to learn how to drive fast is having an experienced instructor riding along with you at a performance driving school. If you want to learn by yourself without an instructor be prepared to be passed by all those people using instructors.

A good instructor will make you drive your car a lot faster than you think you can.

Last edited by PDD; 11-10-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
I used to. I find building cars to be much more entertaining. The 24 Hours of Lemons is fantastic though so I definitely would take that on for a project.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
I used to take my car to the track, but tires are too expensive to replace every year. Done a bunch of the 24 hours of lemons races with some friends, so that has filled in for not taking mine to a track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive