Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,203,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My driving exam route took me over this;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...w=1348&bih=734
WTH???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I use a couple of rotaries on a regular basis; I'd wager that over 50% of drivers don't signal at all when they use a roundabout (or at least they don't seem to when I'm around), so I thought I'd see what others were taught.

I always turn on my right signal as I pass the exit before mine, or before I enter the circle if I'm taking the very first exit. If I'm going more than half-way around, I start off with the left signal, and then switch over to the right when I'm about to exit.

The signal on exit is probably the most important, because it lets people who are waiting to enter know they can take your spot. The left signal, especially on this rotary, is to make it crystal clear that I am passing the straight-on exit (the lanes are in a sort of spiral configuration, so it can look like you're turning out, even though you might not be).

Basically, I try to make my intentions crystal clear.
I live in the "rotary" (we call them circles) capital of the US. We do not use signals on them.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,537,048 times
not common down south or even in most of the US I would guess, so most of us are clueless.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:01 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Only if you don't know how to change lanes.

I never learned how to drive in a roundabout. They aren't common here, so the few times I've encountered one, I just treated it like a regular road which rather unsurprisingly is exactly how you're supposed to.
In some places, that might get you into trouble with multiple-lane circles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linked Site
Drivers must remember to yield to the vehicles in the left lane when attempting movements through traffic circles in the right lane.
That rule is the same in Maine, but fortunately, they took to regulating them with actual pavement markings that dictate which lanes go where, rather than relying on a traffic law that nobody knew.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,666,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In my town, we have two roundabouts, and I avoid them at all cost. In another 5 to 10 years, the state and village planners will realize what a big mistake it was constructing them, because the area will grow more, and there'll be more traffic, too much traffic for the present roundabouts to handle.
You should never go to Carmel, Indiana.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,604,894 times
Roundabouts are great, except for the part where people don't actually know how they work. I generally signal these people with an upraised hand, with first , second, fourth, and fifth fingers clenched. This is considered the universal signal for, among other things, "please learn how to drive before operating your vehicle."

:-)

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 PM

93 posts, read 263,839 times
Haha @ the post above. I drive through several rotaries daily (in Massachusetts) and I would wager that 99.9% of people do not signal at all, except possibly in the manner described above.

But I was pretty much taught/under the impression that you only needed to signal in the rotary if you wanted to change from the inner to outer lane or vice versa. Or, if you couldn't get yourself out of the inner lane in time and need to make an exit (no guarantee anyone will let you out, though).

IMO it would be odd to signal when entering the rotary because all of the traffic is going in the same direction, there isn't really any doubt which way you're going to turn.

Last edited by BHboston; 11-10-2013 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,764,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Roundabouts are great, except for the part where people don't actually know how they work. I generally signal these people with an upraised hand, with first , second, fourth, and fifth fingers clenched. This is considered the universal signal for, among other things, "please learn how to drive before operating your vehicle."

:-)

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Dang, all this time I thought I was being told I was number 1. What a let down!

Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
In our area if you use a signal we know you're from out of state.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times
i hated when they put the 1st one back in Madison, never seeing them before and with no "training" (heaven knows they werent part of my driver education in the 70's lol) it was a bit nerve racking as you really dont know if the car in the other lane will do what's expected. Heck I didnt know if i was doing what was expected. I still feel that way when i'm up there visiting and hit one of the couple in the area.

I dont think i've seen one down here, though can imagine since you are driving in a circle turning left that it would be just fine if they could somehow include a "spotter" that would cut in over your radio indicating when you were "clear".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive