Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM

427 posts, read 947,247 times

Advertisements

So, I was at a busy intersection signaling to turn right, from the right lane with a red light. There was a pretty obvious sign hanging that indicated that right turn on reds wasn't allowed (the sign was one with a right turn inside a circle with a line through it).

The car behind me obviously didn't see the sign (I guess) and starts honking for me to make the turn. I didn't do it because of the sign. After the light turned green, I made the turn and the person behind me turns, pulls out on the left and speeds past me in a huff.

What's the deal? Turning right on red is an option in my opinion, not an obligation. And people don't have a right to complain if you wait for a green light. Sometimes the window available to make a turn is too brief to squeeze out into oncoming traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
It's an option. But if you are sitting there with your blinker on and clearly have space to turn, you should turn.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
No right on red, is no right on red. The other driver was very inconsiderate and rude. Its not your fault he didn't see or want to see the no turn on red signs.

It's an option when its legal (no signs saying no turn on red). You don't have to make the turn, but many will consider it inconsiderate if you don't make the turn if its possible.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
It's an option. But if you are sitting there with your blinker on and clearly have space to turn, you should turn.
No, you missed the part where they said there was a NO TURN ON RED sign there, in that instance it is against the law to turn until the light is green. We have that in Florida, most places are ok to turn on red UNLESS they have a posted sign there to the contrary. The law is very clear on that rule.

To the OP, you just ran into one of those idiots on the road. I have had them do it to me too, and I put my arm out the window and point to the NO TURN ON RED sign. Beyond that I don't let them rattle me, it is their problem not mine.

Don

Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
The deal is that the driver behind you was unobservant of the traffic signs and obviously wrong. It's happened to all of us.

I agree. There is a risk involved in turning right on a red and it you are not under an obligation to take that risk no matter how many impatient fools are behind you. Had you turned right and been hit, my guess is the guy behind you would not have stopped to help you.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
So, I was at a busy intersection signaling to turn right, from the right lane with a red light. There was a pretty obvious sign hanging that indicated that right turn on reds wasn't allowed (the sign was one with a right turn inside a circle with a line through it).

The car behind me obviously didn't see the sign (I guess) and starts honking for me to make the turn. I didn't do it because of the sign. After the light turned green, I made the turn and the person behind me turns, pulls out on the left and speeds past me in a huff.

What's the deal? Turning right on red is an option in my opinion, not an obligation. And people don't have a right to complain if you wait for a green light. Sometimes the window available to make a turn is too brief to squeeze out into oncoming traffic.
You were correct. The other driver was just a road raging idiot, who would have honked at you no matter what you did.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You know, if you will be chewing yourself over such nuisance every time, you'll have stroke or ulcer in no time. Who gives. You liable for yours, they liable for theirs. Deep breath and peace of mind.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Option.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post

Is this the sign you are referring to? Because, last I knew, that means you can't turn right on a green light either.

But turning right on red is something that is up to each driver. If the intersection is blind, or if the stop line is way back from the turn, I'd probably wait for a green. And of course, a red right arrow always prohibits a right turn on red, sign or not.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would never honk at someone who didn't make a right on red. I don't care why. They don't want to I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive