Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
HP = (T * rpm)/5252
T = (HP *5252)/rpm

Potato is potato. Torque is a function of horsepower; horse power is a function of torque. You're right about dynos measuring torque, but that doesn't have anything to do with a function being a function. If torque wasn't a function of horsepower, horsepower wouldn't be a function of torque. The calculation has to worth both ways or it's not a function.
i other words you have no idea what you are talking about. true mathematical functions can go both ways, but when measuring power output of an engine, you measure the amount of twisting force of that engine, thus you are measuring the torque output of the engine, and you can calculate the horsepower from there. you cannot measure horsepower, as horsepower is the amount of work done over time.

horsepower (unit of measurement) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Quote:
horsepower, the common unit of power; i.e., the rate at which work is done. In the British Imperial System, one horsepower equals 33,000 foot-pounds of work per minuteā€”that is, the power necessary to lift a total mass of 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Some of those are based on claims from the manufacturer of those parts. K&N claims a 5-11HP boost. Some header companies claim up to a 40HP gain.

Heck Ford claims I get a 15hp difference just by using premium gas (365hp) versus regular unleaded (350hp)

Some is marketing and Im sure some has merit. You can probably get 100 extra hp from a ricer motor but it will come at a steep cost (turbo charger/super charger, new cam, new heads, headers, cold air, etc etc)
Back in the 60's 40hp was legit with headers.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
No, we're just talking about different things. You're talking about measuring torque and I'm talking about a mathematical function. Torque is a function of horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque. It's the same thing. If you don't understand that, it means you don't understand what a function is. (T*rpm)/5252 is exactly the same thing as 33,000 ft-lbs/min for the same reason.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Anything involving a diesel engine for sure is the dumbest you will ever hear.
This statement is a dumb thing.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, we're just talking about different things. You're talking about measuring torque and I'm talking about a mathematical function. Torque is a function of horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque. It's the same thing. If you don't understand that, it means you don't understand what a function is. (T*rpm)/5252 is exactly the same thing as 33,000 ft-lbs/min for the same reason.
yes horsepower IS a mathematical function, and torque is a measurement of that function. as i said you cannot measure horsepower, only calculate it.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol, I am talking about the ebay junk.
Lol, you are now. Lol.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
No one's mentioned water powered cars yet. A friend of mine actually bought the plans and installed a hydrogen generator in his truck, but it made no difference whatsoever.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Another claimed HP to weight ratio was the key to a fast car. Guess the transmission and other parts plays no part in speed.
Makes me think of how great a big block T bucket would be on a road course!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Anything involving a diesel engine for sure is the dumbest you will ever hear.
Ok don't tell Audi......they won Lemans in a diesel...

Diesel 1984.....no performance, lots of noise/smoke
Diesel 2013.....shocking performance with no smoke, very little noise

Old 11-17-2013, 08:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
The performance chip always cracked me up. You could gain so much HP or whatever just by adding this damn chip lol.
lol... CD means 'Chronic Dis-information'.
We used to routinely re-program ignition computers.... Now they are mostly in flash memory... download the default settings, a couple hours on the dyno, reprogram spark curves, shift points, and a pile of other parameters... after building an engine, we could get the power numbers way up.
You need to realize that the factory chips were designed to 1). be conservative, 2). maximize fuel economy, 3). keep the engine/transmission etc. reliable and have a long life.
Do your homework correctly, watch your type of fuel and F/A ratios, be civil on the modifications (I have seen turbo diesels eat their transmissions), and you can boost your power dramatically. Remember this all comes at a cost of long term reliability, and parts wear (though I got a lot of miles out of a blown small block with >1 atm boost, but 'belt and suspenders' is my M.O.)
An engine is effectively just a tuned resonant system under software control. (with a pile of thermodynamics and mech E and materials E thrown in).
The impressive thing is that nowadays they can build street cars from the factory that are high-horsepower, relatively inexpensive, and reliable, something that we had to improvise 15 years ago. But I digress.

Still cracked up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive