U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM

13,374 posts, read 11,335,065 times

Advertisements

The modern retro styled Beetle is a hit with it's specific generation styling. FIAT is about to do the same with a modern 500 styled like the old 500. Not sure this will work here in USA since the 500 didn't have the long time success or popularity the Beetle enjoyed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,992 posts, read 65,459,044 times
As chick cars, like the Mini, Miata, Jetta, and Jeep Liberty, they will sell some, but according to Chrysler that's why they eliminated the Liberty and went back to the old Cherokee name, because it had become feminized.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 PM

19,722 posts, read 14,236,397 times
Do you really think the new Beetle is a hit ? I think it may appeal to some females, but that is about it.

Don

Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 PM

5,235 posts, read 11,656,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Do you really think the new Beetle is a hit ? I think it may appeal to some females, but that is about it.

Don
When it first came back in 1998 it was a huge hit

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM

3,389 posts, read 5,526,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As chick cars, like the Mini, Miata, Jetta, and Jeep Liberty, they will sell some, but according to Chrysler that's why they eliminated the Liberty and went back to the old Cherokee name, because it had become feminized.
Of all the models you listed I see easily as many men driving them as women.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM

17,155 posts, read 19,269,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
The point of a car is to sell cars. The new Beetle was a hit. It sold a lot of cars, especially in the beginning. That kind of tapered off. Now we're confusingly just at the Beetle (it's no longer the new Beetle; that was the one it replaced... wrap your head around that one )

Has far has how much epeen it had, the new Beetle was never great. It was a chick car. So what. So was the Mini. They sold a couple million of those as well. So is the Beetle (sans new, the one you can buy new today) any better? Hell if I know. I think it's kind of stupid looking, but whatever. I'd get the Golf since I'm more interested in being able to drop the seats and throw stuff in than it being cute. They actually always drove pretty well and were surprisingly roomy once you got in them. I've actually been in the back of a new Beetle which is quite a bit smaller than the (not new) Beetle and it's manageable. Headroom sucks, but it's better than what you'd think it would be from the outside.

At least for the initial numbers, it's selling okay. I wouldn't say it's a hit. Just a lukewarm.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 10,653,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Has far has how much epeen it had, the new Beetle was never great. It was a chick car. So what. So was the Mini. They sold a couple million of those as well. So is the Beetle (sans new, the one you can buy new today) any better? Hell if I know. I think it's kind of stupid looking, but whatever. I'd get the Golf since I'm more interested in being able to drop the seats and throw stuff in than it being cute. They actually always drove pretty well and were surprisingly roomy once you got in them. I've actually been in the back of a new Beetle which is quite a bit smaller than the (not new) Beetle and it's manageable. Headroom sucks, but it's better than what you'd think it would be from the outside.
For several years, I drove a Golf and my wife drove a New Beetle. Other than the obvious difference in shape, the two cars were remarkably similar. Same drivetrain. Dropping the back of the back seat - and opening the back for more cargo - was virtually identical in the two cars. I liked my 4-door Golf better, but it was little more than a personal preference.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,274,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The modern retro styled Beetle is a hit with it's specific generation styling. FIAT is about to do the same with a modern 500 styled like the old 500. Not sure this will work here in USA since the 500 didn't have the long time success or popularity the Beetle enjoyed.
"About to?" The 500 has already been here for a couple years. Am I missing something here? Is this referring to a forthcoming refresh of the current "retro-modern" design like the one the Beetle got a few years ago?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:42 PM

13,374 posts, read 11,335,065 times
Fiat goes back to future with '1957 Edition' 500

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,274,755 times
OK, I see. It's a limited edition version, I don't think they expect to sell very many of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive