Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often to you blow your horn, and what the longest duration?
I'm not even sure it works. 14 19.18%
Maybe a few times a year 36 49.32%
At least every month or so 11 15.07%
At least every week or so 8 10.96%
Just about every day 3 4.11%
About a half-second "bip" 13 17.81%
A second or two 11 15.07%
2-5 seconds 3 4.11%
A good long blare 8 10.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times

Advertisements

Every day in my car for precisely 2.7 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
I don't even know if my horn works, I don't ever use it. In SE Michigan though people honk their horns at each other nonstop. People are rude as hell here.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 11-16-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,899 times
The horn is the most important component on my car. I'll give a beep if the car infront doesn't move when the light turns green. If someone cuts me off or tries to move into my lane, I'll give a long blast. If the car infront is driving very slow, I'll give a long blast as I pass it.

With the average motorist having the IQ of a grain of sand and the attention span of a gold fish, a horn is critical. When the horn on my car stopped working, I had it promptly replaced.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I noticed back in about 1994 that my horn didn't work. Haven't fixed it, don't need it.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How long and how often do you blow your horn. Give one answer in each part, frequency and duration.
Would depend on the reason for blowing the horn in the first place,about the only time i'll give a courteous tap of the horn is when the light turns green and the person in front of me is distracted and doesnt realize the light has changed. Most horn blowing is just rude obnoxious people who think leaning on their horn will accomplish something or somehow make all the traffic go away.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I will BLARE my horn whenever I see a blind person with a cane out of courtesy, it seems to startle them but I'm sure they appreciate me sounding my presence and they probably wish everyone else would do this too.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
One of the things that used to drive me nuts about Miami is how many people laid on their horns the millisecond the light turned green. I mean, these people had it down to the exact moment that light turned green.

Dingbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrree eeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Seriously?

I used to live at an intersection with a light, and I wanted to beat the ever loving crap out of every single one of those people. It wasn't just one or two, and it wasn't just a quick beep, it was full on aggressive, ahole blaring by hundreds of drivers an hour. I wish those people got tickets for laying on their horns when they were NOT in an emergency situation. I understand, if someone is about to hit you, damn straight, hit the horn, but not just because you think you're spit don't stink, and everyone needs to get the hell out of your way right. fricken. now. or. you'll. go. crazy.

A small beep when someone isn't paying attention at the light? Fine. Anything longer than that? You're a jerk. People LIVE IN THOSE BUILDINGS AROUND YOU.

A car is about to ram in to you? Fine, make sure you get their attention. When they have corrected themselves? GET OFF THE DAMN HORN.

You're mad because someone isn't moving over? Don't care, stay off your damn horn, obnoxious creature.

I'm really saying this to the people in Miami more than anyone on this particular thread....but if you act like that, then it does apply to you. You guys should really spend some time in Miami...I've never, in my life, seen such chaos on the roads as I have there.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
When I lived in NYC I couldn't go a single block without using the horn.

I now live in Austin, TX and have used my horn 3 times in two years.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
in my car not often. In my truck almost daily to test the operation as per DOT regs.

Big trucks have a city horn & an air horn. The air horn is best saved for the highway. The city horn is best used in the city. On a few occasions there have been pedi's that just wander out into the street oblvious to where they are. The city horn get's their attention without freezing them in their tracks like the airhorn does.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Recently returned from a trip to NYC, the horn blowing capitol of the world, all you hear are horns blowing, if you do not have a working horn on your car in Manhattan, you will be unable to drive, I don't think your vehicle would start..another one of those devices installed at the factory...for your safety.

I have noticed here in Florida that there are certain ethnic origins that love to play with their horns. I have a family down the street that will blow their horns two houses from theirs to announce their arrival to their home, like their home really needs to know. When they pull into their driveway, they give it another toot, double checking...I guess.

Now when they leave, while still in the driveway, they toot, I guess to say goodbye to their home, and, in some cases when they want everyone in the neighborhood to know they are leaving, they lay on the horn for 50ft or more, can't tell you how much I love that little move.

As for Miami, just returned from the Keys, drove thru Miami in my motor home, towing my car, going the speed limit. Now, we are talking about having some fun! Horns blowing, drivers cutting you off so close that you can see their breath and music is a blar'in...windows open of coarse, how else could they hear their horns? Indeed a very festive ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive