Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,677,842 times

Advertisements

if you go to court most judges will just drop it down to a simple speeding ticket. i received a 88 in a 70 zone, this was in a different county from where i lived, i just had to pay a fine online 300$, nothing ever happened to my points (in FL). i know someone that had a ticket, went to court, no lawyers, he said it was packed with other speeding offenders, the judge gave them an ultimatum...pay the ticket right now half price or fight the ticket...and the judge made it clear if you fight the ticket and lose (which is most likely) you will be paying the full ticket price plus court fees...everyone paid the ticket except for a few stubborns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 PM

427 posts, read 941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If I had a pair they wouldn't be so easily unsettled by anyone who doesn't live in fear of driving laws.
Ok then. I understand.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,677,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
I guess that says it all.
I understand your concern, but I would say that speed has nothing to do with accident rates. It's one thing to speed in a straight line, but most accidents are caused by lane changing, regardless of the speeds.

Now I also understand that people get scared of fast drivers, regardless if they are sane and stay in a straight line or not. These types of people need to just get out of the way, get in the right lane and stay there, that's why they made it.

I use to know a guy that said he hated speeders so he would intentionally get in the passing lane and go slow in front of people trying to pass. It just makes no sense to do this, it creates more hazards.

Nothing against you, but it's just my experience and opinion on speeders vs recklessness. People who change lanes all day, cut others off, and ride brakes all deserve to be put in traffic timeout, shame on you turds.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM

269 posts, read 530,827 times
The ADA will almost always plead. Call them first.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,752,273 times
Quote:
Calm your t*ts seriously. I guess he should have let whatever that was detach and plow into the vehicle. It has happens all of the time. Most of it though isn't bad enough to be on the news. For someone who rants on about defensive driving. You sure lack common sense.
Quote:
Calm yours.
Quote:
If I had a pair they wouldn't be so easily unsettled by anyone who doesn't live in fear of driving laws.
Quote:
Ok then. I understand.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I understand your concern, but I would say that speed has nothing to do with accident rates.
Oh, is that what you would say? Well the traffic law says that the speeders are the ones getting the speeding tickets. Whether they cause accidents or not.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Now I also understand that people get scared of fast drivers, regardless if they are sane and stay in a straight line or not. These types of people need to just get out of the way, get in the right lane and stay there, that's why they made it.
I don't think that you do understand. I'm not scared of fast drivers at all. Especially the tailgaters. I find them humorous. Roar up on your bumper and then slow down. So what?

Multiple lanes were constructed to accommodate a higher volume of traffic. Not to accommodate speeders. As long as one is driving at the speed limit, all lanes are equally useable.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 PM

5,766 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Quote:
I don't think that you do understand. I'm not scared of fast drivers at all. Especially the tailgaters. I find them humorous. Roar up on your bumper and then slow down. So what?

Multiple lanes were constructed to accommodate a higher volume of traffic. Not to accommodate speeders. As long as one is driving at the speed limit, all lanes are equally useable.
Not keeping to the right is plainly against the State laws in many and most states, and just bad courtesy too.
Cops have absolutely no business being on any roads unless they are on their way to an event they where specifically called for. The only real laws are the laws of physics. Writing anyone a ticket is just pure robbery and terrorism.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,680,541 times
Quote:
You didn't need to speed to get out of that situation. You don't need to go 86. You deserve the fine. Slow down.
I agree sometimes you have to pass someone who has loaded their truck incorrectly and something might fall out and cause a serious crash. I was behind a truck once and the couch fell out of the bed and I had to swerve to miss it causing me to almost loose control. I wanted to pass but it was one of the blind situations and I didn't want to risk it.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times
Some pretty good stories & decent legal advice here.

As for the idea that they didn't "have to" accelerate to 86 to pass the freaky truck, no, no they didn't. But what if they accelerated and passed at a rate more in line with YOUR thinking, Comissar, & in the meantime something flies off the truck & the wind carries it into OP's lane & they crash and sustain serious injuries? Bet they wish they had accelerated to 86 mph & quickly but safely passed the incompetent guy, huh?

The fact of the matter is, speeding tickets are not about safety. If they were, situations like this wouldn't happen. Avoiding potential hazards by passing them is a safe course in many situations, but the revenue-generating punks lose out on revenue if they used logic, decency & applied the spirit of the law. (Which is supposed to keep us safe, isn't it? Ha!)

My own personal story was on I-35 in Austin, Texas in September 2009. Some lunatic was tailgating me to an extreme in very heavy traffic in all 3 lanes. How extreme? I could see the whites of his eyes, that's how extreme! Was I scared? You betcha. So I accelerated to get out of this idiot's way and first chance I got transferred 1 lane over. Unfortunately, my fight-or-flight response kicked in & I ignored the undulating elevations of South Austin & got pulled over by Austin P.D. The officer spent literally about 180 seconds with me & when it was over, he pulled out as quickly as possible to another hiding spot. Now, if it was anything at all about safety, wouldn't he have pulled over the tailgater? Of course not. That would minimize the possible revenue from an easy speeding ticket. Did I put anyone in as much danger as the punk behind me? Considering the fact that I've driven that particular car at 110 mph & keep it very well-maintained....I doubt that driving 81 mph for a few seconds severely endangered anyone enough to legally steal $193 from me. Alas, that's just the way the system works & until us citizens change it (via elections or the market: just take public transport) it's going to self-sustain in the sad, pathetic present form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive