Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 29,090 times

Advertisements

I have a clean record and got gunned going 86 in a 70 in Rockbridge County this weekend. I had sped up to get around a truck that had stuff precariously attached to it that was making me concerned.

I am aware that this is a Class 1 misdemeanor. Do I need a lawyer, or should I try to get this reduced to speeding by myself? It is reasonable to think that this can happen?

Thanks guys, hopefully you can make a lousy weekend a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
I got two of these once, for 120 in a 70. I didn't get a lawyer and just paid them. They were out of state, and this was before the days of the point system. Cost me over $500, and that was 20 years ago. Fines have only gone up since then.

You need to look into how many points it is worth on your license vs a regular speeding ticket, and also find out what your insurance will do if that goes on your record. My guess is that it's a lot more severe than just speeding, they may even drop your coverage.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I got two of these once, for 120 in a 70. I didn't get a lawyer and just paid them. They were out of state, and this was before the days of the point system. Cost me over $500, and that was 20 years ago. Fines have only gone up since then.

You need to look into how many points it is worth on your license vs a regular speeding ticket, and also find out what your insurance will do if that goes on your record. My guess is that it's a lot more severe than just speeding, they may even drop your coverage.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice. I hope it all works out alright.

Anyone else have any insight?

Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Not sure how it works in your area, but I was pulled over by a local township deputy doing 95 on 70. When I asked fella, who was very nice, how much, he told me to log into their sheriff department site and find out. So I did. 2 months later, about 2 weeks before day due. It was $640 and 5 mph more would have put me to jail.
So I freaked as at that time it was a lot of $$ for us. Come to find, next week, they re-tired their fines, and I got away with only $427 fine that I mailed to them. They never reported it to anywhere.
Thing with those small town sheriffs is they all one big family. Dad is judge, his brother is sheriff, their sons and cousins are deputies. You gonna go to court there? To end in jail and have fine doubled?
PAY. I never had an issue after paid ticket and my insurances never found. Until we landed back to WA state. Here - oh yeah, they report you no matter what.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
I got a speeding ticket once in some rural county in MN and they gave me the option to go through like 3 days of some driving class and got the speeding ticket off my record.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Not sure how it works in your area, but I was pulled over by a local township deputy doing 95 on 70. When I asked fella, who was very nice, how much, he told me to log into their sheriff department site and find out. So I did. 2 months later, about 2 weeks before day due. It was $640 and 5 mph more would have put me to jail.
So I freaked as at that time it was a lot of $$ for us. Come to find, next week, they re-tired their fines, and I got away with only $427 fine that I mailed to them. They never reported it to anywhere.
Thing with those small town sheriffs is they all one big family. Dad is judge, his brother is sheriff, their sons and cousins are deputies. You gonna go to court there? To end in jail and have fine doubled?
PAY. I never had an issue after paid ticket and my insurances never found. Until we landed back to WA state. Here - oh yeah, they report you no matter what.
Hopefully that is similar to what I experience. Thanks for the help.

Any additional insight from anyone?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,683,188 times
Wait, why is it reckless driving if you were only going 16 over? Is there a set rule or is reckless driving assessed based on the discretion of the officer?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM

427 posts, read 948,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith123444 View Post
I have a clean record and got gunned going 86 in a 70 in Rockbridge County this weekend. I had sped up to get around a truck that had stuff precariously attached to it that was making me concerned.

I am aware that this is a Class 1 misdemeanor. Do I need a lawyer, or should I try to get this reduced to speeding by myself? It is reasonable to think that this can happen?

Thanks guys, hopefully you can make a lousy weekend a bit better.
You didn't need to speed to get out of that situation. You don't need to go 86. You deserve the fine. Slow down.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
You didn't need to speed to get out of that situation. You don't need to go 86. You deserve the fine. Slow down.
Calm your t*ts seriously. I guess he should have let whatever that was detach and plow into the vehicle. It has happens all of the time. Most of it though isn't bad enough to be on the news. For someone who rants on about defensive driving. You sure lack common sense.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,854 times
Is this in Connecticut? I know they have this absolutely stupid "85 and over is reckless" law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive