Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times

Advertisements

Alot of states are doing this stupid, nanny nonsense like 15+ is reckless, etc.

I don't buy into OP's excuse for why he was speeding and got the ticket, but I agree the rules of the road are getting more and more ridiculous compared to what Law Enforcement doesn't bother to watch (blinkers, texting, distracted driving, clueless driving, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,943 times
It depends on the state.

If it happened in Hawaii, it would hurt. The punishment for reckless is the same as a DUI. My buddy tried to fight it hoping the cop wouldn't show up. Cop showed up and my friend got nailed by the judge. He had to pay a 1000$ fine and do 50 hours of service along with a misdemeanor on his record. I believe he was doing 85 in a 65.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
Actually in Virginia I think over 80 is automatically reckless driving.

My advice is to get a lawyer. It usually is not that expensive and reckless driving is nothing to sneeze at. The lawyer will know what is possible in your area and how to go about getting the best deal possible. If this were 7 over it would be one thing, but not 16 over and not reckless driving.

You will most likely get several letters from law firms soon. Just call a few and talk to them.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times
Spend the money on a lawyer. Basically you need someone to give you accurate advice.

A misdemeanor is a big deal. Is there also a license suspension? In my state reckless is a summary offense but carries a license suspension.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Get an attorney. When I lived in Virginia a few years back, there were attorneys who did nothing but reckless driving tickets. The whole thing is just a revenue generation racket, and everyone knows it. You'll still pay a hefty fine, but it's almost a guarantee that the charge will get wiped down to some minor thing. Whatever you do, don't just enter a guilty plea and pay it.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 29,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Get an attorney. When I lived in Virginia a few years back, there were attorneys who did nothing but reckless driving tickets. The whole thing is just a revenue generation racket, and everyone knows it. You'll still pay a hefty fine, but it's almost a guarantee that the charge will get wiped down to some minor thing. Whatever you do, don't just enter a guilty plea and pay it.
Thank you all so much for the advice. Any idea on what a lawyer who specializes in these sorts of tickets may cost me?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Actually in Virginia I think over 80 is automatically reckless driving.

My advice is to get a lawyer. It usually is not that expensive and reckless driving is nothing to sneeze at. The lawyer will know what is possible in your area and how to go about getting the best deal possible. If this were 7 over it would be one thing, but not 16 over and not reckless driving.

You will most likely get several letters from law firms soon. Just call a few and talk to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Spend the money on a lawyer. Basically you need someone to give you accurate advice.

A misdemeanor is a big deal. Is there also a license suspension? In my state reckless is a summary offense but carries a license suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Good advice, all of this.

I assume this county is in Virginia? And it was a county sheriff that got you?

I got pulled over in Smyth County, VA by a local cowboy a couple years back. It was a chicken chit ticket for 76 in a 65. My car was covered with New England salt so I was easy pickings.

Before I even got home, there were letters from the local law firms offering their services "should I ever get a ticket in their part of the country". It is a closed system: The cop issues the ticket, and gives a copy to his buddy at the local law firm, who gets you out of most of the ticket, and gives a little 'gift' to the sheriff for the referral. Everyone makes a little something, and the poor community gets a few bucks for their coffers.

So, when the letters come in, pick a law firm, explain the situation to the lawyer, and he will work it out. Most likely he will get it reduced, and because of your story, it will be simple speeding or some simple complaint like failure to keep right. Pay a couple hundred bucks to the County and a few hundred to the lawyer, and it all goes away.

You have been "had" (not dismissing the original complaint against you, but that doesn't have much to do with it) and the best thing is to just play the game. Let the local boys have their day in the sun, and you get out of it as easily as you can. If the suggestion above about more than 85 being a reckless driving complaint, the sheriff already has an in for you, as he could have reduced it to 84 knowing that it would just be a speeding charge. Instead, he left it at the higher speed. Not good. Did you give him a little 'lip'?

The funny ending of my story is that the Sherriff in Smyth County just got busted for running heroin or some other drug trafficking charge. He lost his job, among other things. You see, you are not dealing with a simple speeding charge; it is an incestuous little cabal and you just get to fund it. Who knows what these local guys are really up to, so best to play along and CYA with a local lawyer who is part of the gang.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Good advice, all of this.

I assume this county is in Virginia? And it was a county sheriff that got you?

I got pulled over in Smyth County, VA by a local cowboy a couple years back. It was a chicken chit ticket for 76 in a 65. My car was covered with New England salt so I was easy pickings.

Before I even got home, there were letters from the local law firms offering their services "should I ever get a ticket in their part of the country". It is a closed system: The cop issues the ticket, and gives a copy to his buddy at the local law firm, who gets you out of most of the ticket, and gives a little 'gift' to the sheriff for the referral. Everyone makes a little something, and the poor community gets a few bucks for their coffers.

So, when the letters come in, pick a law firm, explain the situation to the lawyer, and he will work it out. Most likely he will get it reduced, and because of your story, it will be simple speeding or some simple complaint like failure to keep right. Pay a couple hundred bucks to the County and a few hundred to the lawyer, and it all goes away.

You have been "had" (not dismissing the original complaint against you, but that doesn't have much to do with it) and the best thing is to just play the game. Let the local boys have their day in the sun, and you get out of it as easily as you can. If the suggestion above about more than 80 being a reckless driving complaint, the sheriff already has an in for you, as he could have reduced it to 84 knowing that it would just be a speeding charge. Instead, he left it at the higher speed. Not good. Did you give him a little 'lip'?

The funny ending of my story is that the Sherriff in Smyth County just got busted for running heroin or some other drug trafficking charge. He lost his job, among other things. You see, you are not dealing with a simple speeding charge; it is an incestuous little cabal and you just get to fund it. Who knows what these local guys are really up to, so best to play along and CYA with a local lawyer who is part of the gang.
And if you did 65 mph in the 65 mph zone, you wouldn't need to tell the whole conspiracy theory story.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM

427 posts, read 948,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Calm your t*ts seriously. I guess he should have let whatever that was detach and plow into the vehicle. It has happens all of the time. Most of it though isn't bad enough to be on the news. For someone who rants on about defensive driving. You sure lack common sense.
Calm yours.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Calm yours.
If I had a pair they wouldn't be so easily unsettled by anyone who doesn't live in fear of driving laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive