Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think it is immaturity. They don't realize they are endangering the lives of others. Someone just ran a stop light and killed a member of our church. So sad.
I don't think it is a matter of realizing . Some people think they are so important they don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
"Why are people 'aggressive'?"

Because we have somewhere to be and we don't want to get imprisoned behind jerks who drive 30 mph on a wide-open stretch of road, who love to hang out in the left-hand lane and take 5-10 seconds to take-off when the light turns green--and don't care that those actions slow down people behind them who are actually trying to GET somewhere.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
I have another question here. Say that I'm driving on a six lane highway, with three lanes going in each direction. I usually stay in the middle lane because I'm going 5-10 mph faster than the slower trucks and cars occupying the right lane, and the left lane is for passing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no reason for me to move to the right, even if faster drivers are barreling in behind me and switching to the left lane justinthenickoftime, right?
Fine with me--that's just how it is on urban freeways.

Faster drivers can go around on the left, and jackassed drivers can go around on the right, pedal to the floor, with their worn-out, poorly-tuned imports spewing noxious blue smoke and obnoxious noise from their eBay fart-can exhausts.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Sure showed all of us!

Last edited by Thegonagle; 11-18-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
I can't stand gap closers, they're the worst!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah, the old "nobody knows how fast I should drive but me and it's all about the money" argument. Also known as "I know that I'm deciding to break the law and that there are consequences to that but those laws and consequences SHOULDN'T apply to me and so if I get caught and there are consequences, it HAS to be somebody else's fault who is just out to get me".

Sorry, that one is SO obvious and SO pathetic that I'm surprised anyone still trots it out without being horribly embarrassed, but it still shows up every time.
You got all of that from what I said? Hmmm. Maybe its you who has that axe to grind. I don't even drive. But I can. I know what is possible and safe and I know that 55mph isn't anywhere close to a competent drivers limits. Ever see a grass verge with a footpath worn into it from people taking what you might call a shortcut but is actually the sane and logical path outlined by observation. When some high minded architect goes against natural human instincts people will vote with their feet as to whether to follow the dictates of the landscaping or the dictates of efficiency. Its the same on the roads. You drive with your eyes glued to the speedometer... .tell the truth... in your whole driving life... how many accidents have you been in?? Bet you've had one or more. I was not, and are still not, considering the sound legal reasons for obeying speed laws. That is for another thread. I am simply observing in this thread that speed laws in and of themselves have nothing to do with public safety.Given that that is the case... what is your antipathy towards speeders? Yes they are lawbreakers... and? How does that impact your life exactly?

H

Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
It sounds like the OP is from Long Island where this behavior is the norm.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
1. You feel protected in metal cage; the bigger the cage, the more protected you feel
2. You feel strong and powerful in steel cage; the bigger the cage....
3. You feel anonymous. Anonymity takes many moral restraints off one's nature.
4. You generally get pissed at others. Ever watched movie "Going Down" I believe, with Michael Douglas?
5. All of the above builds up into catharsis
6. You are pretty darn stupid, ignorant, poorly brought up and brainwashed into believeing that you are something of great importance and world spins around you. Well known type.
7. You are under influence of whatever.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIDontKnow View Post
Why are people so aggressive while driving?

The speed limit was 55, I was driving 75-80 in the middle lane of 3 lanes. Then, 10-12 cars went flying by me. They also gave me the "finger" for driving to slow. I was going 30 MPH over the speed limit.

Also, I was waiting as a family of ducks was crossing the street. I was waiting for them to cross. Another car went flying by. He clearly saw the ducks. He just drove right over them, killing the whole family. There was 1 duck and 6 baby ducks dead.

Another was I was in the middle lane driving. Three cars went from the left lane all the way to the right lane. I was driving at 70. The cars merged all the way to the exit. I almost crashed into them and they thought I was the bad driver.

One more was at a mall parking lot I was waiting for a spot. As I was pulling in, this car floored it and turned in . He didnt even let the other car pull put. When the car was exiting the spot, he was beeping and making "threatening gestures." I had to back out for him to get in. It took 5-10 mins to find another spot.

Angry people who only feel assertive when they're inside 3,000 pounds of metal.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIDontKnow View Post

1. Driving is expensive and people already hate that.
2. We all think everyone else on the road is (or could very easily become) an idiot while driving, so we're on edge about that.
3. We see gas stations advertising outrageous prices for motor fuel constantly, and we hate that.
4. We drive because we want to, or have to, get somewhere quickly. When things happen to prevent our speedy arrival (red lights, traffic jams, accidents, or even a family of ducks crossing the street), we get angry.
5. With all of the other aggressive drivers on the road, especially in congested areas, we have no choice but to steel ourselves to the notion of fighting for our place on the road... because if you don't fight, at best you'll be stuck in traffic for much longer... at worst you'll become a target for someone else's road rage.

With all of these negative emotions characterizing the experience of driving in any area where "aggressive" driving is common, it's easy enough to see why drivers will be aggressive. Now, in areas with a slower pace of life, you don't see this. I was blown away when I was in Oregon - people will stop 300 feet away from a pedestrian who wants to cross a highway without a crosswalk. In North Dakota, the interstate speed limit was 75. I saw nobody going over 70... I was doing 65 and rarely got passed. Texas - they raised the speed limit on the highways in my area from 70 (65 at night) to 75 all the time, and I noticed no change in people's driving habits. The list goes on but you get the idea.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I can't stand gap closers, they're the worst!
Is that someone who closes the gap when you put your blinker on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive