Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think American roads were all built without the use of convict labor? How many Chinese workers died building American railroads? A single train brought back the bodies of 1,200 Chinese workers to Sacramento. Hitler was emulating us when he built roads without caring how many workers died in the process.
Oh shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times
The Autobahn makes the Interstate system look like it was built by incompetent baboons. It is such a magnificent piece of roadway. First thing first is that people need to be taught how to drive. You know not going slower than traffic in the passing lanes. Not using signals the lot.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh shut up.

Now that's funny...

The biggest windbag on CD telling someone else to shut up.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,036,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Speed cameras on interstates. You are a moron. Those will do just as much harm as red light cameras, causing more accidents than they prevent.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
They use them on the Autobahn all the time, moron. They do that instead of having cops pull people over. And aren't we supposed to want our Interstates to be just like the Autobahn?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you think American roads were all built without the use of convict labor? How many Chinese workers died building American railroads? A single train brought back the bodies of 1,200 Chinese workers to Sacramento. Hitler was emulating us when he built roads without caring how many workers died in the process.
This is actually pretty funny. You've got quite an imagination.

By the way, I had a nice glass of wine before I went to bed last night too...

Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
I actually didn't join this conversation until you mentioned speed cameras. I've neither agreed nor disagreed with imitating the autobahn with our interstate system.

It is a great concept in theory. However, we simply have too much land to cover to have such a high maintenance freeway system. It simply would cost too much.

I thought you don't want our interstates to be like the autobahn? Now you are wanting to implicate ideas from the autobahn onto our interstates... That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Especially since you are dropping insults like hot cakes on those that do wish our national transportation network was as advanced as Germany's autobahn.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I actually didn't join this conversation until you mentioned speed cameras. I've neither agreed nor disagreed with imitating the autobahn with our interstate system.

It is a great concept in theory. However, we simply have too much land to cover to have such a high maintenance freeway system. It simply would cost too much.

I thought you don't want our interstates to be like the autobahn? Now you are wanting to implicate ideas from the autobahn onto our interstates... That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Especially since you are dropping insults like hot cakes on those that do wish our national transportation network was as advanced as Germany's autobahn.

Haha - I proposed several simple improvements, and now this?

By the way, have you ever noticed those big poles along the Interstate, with cross arms that look like stop light arms except there's just a box on the end? What do you think might be in those boxes?

My suggestion was simply this: Speeding cameras would keep State Patrol Officers from pulling people over, and causing another hazard on the Interstates. Would that NOT be an improvement?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Haha - I proposed several simple improvements, and now this?

By the way, have you ever noticed those big poles along the Interstate, with cross arms that look like stop light arms except there's just a box on the end? What do you think might be in those boxes?

My suggestion was simply this: Speeding cameras would keep State Patrol Officers from pulling people over, and causing another hazard on the Interstates. Would that NOT be an improvement?
No. I haven't seen those. I live in Texas where individual privacy is still respected and big brother is at a minimum.

You would want a machine replacing tens of thousands of well paying jobs across the nation? What will that do for our economy?

These cameras would be much more hazardous and dangerous than a police officer stopping a motorist on the side of the road, from which you can see their lights from nearly a mile away. What do drivers do when they see an officer running radar on the of the highway? Brake abruptly. These officers are few and far between.

Now you would want cameras that would probably be placed at random every three to five miles away from one another. So speeders would be braking more abruptly, more often, which, by the way, is a major cause for accidents on highways.

Slow drivers are more hazardous and dangerous than speeders. Slow drivers hold back traffic, interrupting the flow of traffic, and react slowly to hazards on the roadway. Don't get a speeder confused with an aggressive drive either, because I know that is your next defense.

So how is this better?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,479 times
Nobody has mentioned one BIG difference between the interstate and the autobahn: trucking.

A majority of the goods transported across America are trucked along our interstate system. The weight of these vehicles is what does a majority of the damage to the system. To counter this increased wear, American interstates are constructed of harder asphalt. It's rougher to drive on, but holds up a little better to the abuse.

While Germany still has trucks, most of them aren't carrying as heavy loads, and they carry much more goods by rail. Because of this, they are able to use a higher quality, softer asphalt. This type of pavement is much more exensive (but, as mentioned earlier, their system is less than 1/5 the size of ours -- making it cheaper to maintain) and must be replaced more often. However, it's much more grippier (I'm making that a word), making high speed travel safer.

As mentioned earlier as well, the TÃœV (the car inspection department) holds cars to a much higher standard. Seeing some of the rusted, broken cars driving down our roads, I really don't want an autobahn in America.

So to recap: the German autobahn is able to exist because of Germany's increased use of rail, their better driver's education, and the quality of the road and the cars along it. The system could not be dropped directly into America, mostly due to cost, and our reliance on heavy trucking.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
When all vehicles are self-driving, the speed limits can be 100 MPH.

I hit 100mph driving to work today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive