Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Are there any new cars that are not CARB certified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
If it is a new car, it most likely going to meet Ca. (not Cali) smog requirements. Registering a car in Ca. is not difficult at all! We did a total of 5 when we got here and have done so, with at least 3 others, since living here. Yes, you will have to have the car smogged and given a once over by DMV (AAA is the fastest and easiest) If it is a truck, it must be weighed before registering it. Since registration goes by weight, the lighter the better ( hint, hint).
Buying a new car out of State, can be done, but you won't be saving anything, since Ca. is bound and determined to ding you on tax. Headache free would be to just buy when you get here.

PS....If you plan on registering it in another State, be very careful. Ca is cracking down on out of State plates, living in our State. They even have a telephone # and web address to visit if you think your neighbor is not paying his fair share to the State of Ca., to turn that person in! Fines are hefty.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Very unlikely a brand new car will cause any of this to happen.
Both of mine were brand new...Only bought 2 months before I moved...

Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 PM

425 posts, read 647,471 times
If it's used I don't see why you would have a problem so long as it met smog. I bought a used car from a dealer in MN for a car that was physically in Phoenix and was shipped to Los Angeles. I even bought it with a credit union check. When I got the car, it came with the Phoenix title which I promptly turned into the CA DMV who then did electronic title to the credit union. It did take a little time but not unreasonably so. I paid the sales tax at the CA DMV as California does not require out of state dealer to collect the tax at point of sale.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Really ???????? People in Ca are turning in their neighbors for having out of State plates ?? Wow, half the people in Fl would be fined if that were done here, every other car is from somewhere else. Now I remember why we left Ca years ago.

Don

Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
My suggestion prepare your bowels and your wallet when you do register a car in CA.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
It's not really worth the hassle. It's possible as long as you meet the SMOG requirements but it's a waste of time.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Really ???????? People in Ca are turning in their neighbors for having out of State plates ?? Wow, half the people in Fl would be fined if that were done here, every other car is from somewhere else. Now I remember why we left Ca years ago.

Don
What I love is when someone gets pissed and turns in someone who is in the Military for out of state plates..

Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
They are trying to nail down those living permanently in the State and not paying registration.. While the rest of us foot the bill for area roads and highways, and they feel they don't need to help pay their fair share. Military, are of course, exempt.
We had the chance to transfer to Fla.....problem was: we'd have to live in Fl.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
actually many dealers in NV and AZ can handle out-of-state sales for California residents. My boss's wife fell in love with this ugly dessert brown color paint that's pretty rare for SoCal but widespread on BMW's in the Southwest. They contacted a dealer in Phoenix and he handled all the appropriate paperwork and taxes on the lease. He could've even had the car shipped to LA for $350 but they just flew Southwest and drove it back the same day.
This is exactly what I'm finding! I happen to like that desert brown color with brown leather interior and I'm finding it super rare here in SoCal but have found many with great discounts at dealers in Vegas and Phoenix.

From what I've researched, the dealers there calculate the tax you would pay in your home county. LA County is nearly 10%. They charge you that, pay the 7-8% in AZ or NV and the difference goes to California.

This is why even in SoCal we can't go and buy a car in Ventura county which has cheaper tax rates because they base it on the "use" tax of wherever your home address is. We can't save 3% tax by going to Ventura, otherwise Ventura County would have HUGE car dealers offering massive savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive