Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moanalua View Post
No, it AIN'T silly. I'm loyal to PONTIAC, NOT Cadillac, Chevy, OR Buick. I'm a musclecar guy, and Chevy and Buick--those two in particular--were RIVALS to Pontiac. Chevy had the Chevelle SS and the Camaro Z28, among other models. Buick had the GS. I don't care HOW "good" those brands are today; I will NEVER purchase a new GM vehicle unless Pontiac returns.
I can get down with that too. But that also must mean you haven't been in Pontiac dealer since the 70s. After the Super Duty went away even Pontiac cool cars were just Chevy under different skin. A hard core Pontiac fan thinks the brand died in 1981 when they stopped building them with 400s and 455s.

Unless of course you would consider buying a Camaro and spend a grip on one of those Trans Am conversions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
The 1982 Pontiac 6000 was a sensational automobile which finished second in MTs COTY contest, right behind a Camaro with a 5-speed and right in front of a Firebird with an AT, only for them to blow whatever momentum they had in the marketplace with the woebegone Fiero, which instantaneously earned the kiss of death by being condemned as a girls car opposite terrific imports such as the Civic CRX and the Toyota MR2.

GM had to do away with both Pontiac & Oldsmobile; they had no choice, since the respective images which both makes had in the marketplace were never overcome.

Although the Malibu is doing fairly well, the Verano andLlaCrosse are not, since dealer lots are overflowing with both of them according to Kelley Blue Book.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Oh boy, here come the little foreign crap is better gang, because I listened to disco in my angel flight pants.
The Fiero has a huge following of guys swapping in V6's, and V8's. Just like Datsun 280's, and Jaguars swap in the small block Chevy. All you have to do is look back 20 + years and see what's become a collectors item. Do you see guys polishing their Honda's and Toyota's, or their Ford's, Pontiac's, and Chevy's? Not to mention Corvette's, and or the AC Cobra. What engine did the Sunbeam tiger have?

I had one of those Buicks, it was a 67 GS 400 that was pretty cool for a stock car.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Well as someone whose very first car was a 1970 Skylark, and as someone who had many friends who had all sorts of personally souped-up muscle cars such as a Cutlass 442, a Malibu 396 and a slew of others, the Detroit Three essentially invented muscle cars, and even some very stylish cars such as a 77 Cutlass Supreme with a T-top, which was anything but sterile as well.

GM and Detroit somehow lost their way, with plenty of 'help' courtesy of Congress and the first round of CAFE standards, which didn't make any more sense back then than they do today.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 7,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree it is real. But it IS silly. A car is a machine. And the brand changes over time. The car you love deteriorated into a plastic coated generic GM car. They made awful minivans.

Very different than a sports team, which engages its fans directly.
Disagree with you again. If ONE kind of brand loyalty is silly, ALL kinds are silly. You can't have it both ways. You think pro-football teams don't change over time? And, while some Pontiacs were re-badges, even THOSE were STILL OFFICIALLY PONTIACS. And, if Pontiac minivans were "awful," then ALL GM minivans were awful: Chevy's, Buick's, Olds' AND Saturn's. They were all basically badge-engineered. By the way, HOW were the Pontiac/GM minivans awful?

Pro-football teams "engage its fans directly"? I have NEVER engaged directly with the Pats, whereas I engage directly with my Pontiac--and all the other Pontiacs I've owned previously--each time I drive/drove it/them.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I can get down with that too. But that also must mean you haven't been in Pontiac dealer since the 70s. After the Super Duty went away even Pontiac cool cars were just Chevy under different skin. A hard core Pontiac fan thinks the brand died in 1981 when they stopped building them with 400s and 455s.

Unless of course you would consider buying a Camaro and spend a grip on one of those Trans Am conversions.
Yes, it certainly WAS unfortunate that Pontiac stopped building V8 engines in '81. However, that did not diminish my loyalty to Pontiac. As far as I'm concerned, A PONTIAC IS A PONTIAC, no matter WHICH division built the engine it came with. My '84 Trans Am came from the factory with a Chevy engine, as did all '84 Trans Ams. The car is STILL a Pontiac. Despite its engine, it's STILL a PONTIAC Trans Am, NOT a CHEVY Trans Am. Likewise, some Chevys (not Z28s) came from the factory with PONTIAC engines. Are THOSE cars Pontiacs? Of COURSE not. Let's not label a car by the engine it happened to come with.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Well as someone whose very first car was a 1970 Skylark, and as someone who had many friends who had all sorts of personally souped-up muscle cars such as a Cutlass 442, a Malibu 396 and a slew of others, the Detroit Three essentially invented muscle cars, and even some very stylish cars such as a 77 Cutlass Supreme with a T-top, which was anything but sterile as well.

GM and Detroit somehow lost their way, with plenty of 'help' courtesy of Congress and the first round of CAFE standards, which didn't make any more sense back then than they do today.
Specifically, PONTIAC invented the musclecar, with the '64 GTO.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moanalua View Post
Specifically, PONTIAC invented the musclecar, with the '64 GTO.
The GTO was a very cool car, and I had a friend with a 66 that was very nice. However, it cannot claim the original muscle car.

Muscle car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The GTO was a very cool car, and I had a friend with a 66 that was very nice. However, it cannot claim the original muscle car.

Muscle car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh yes, it can. A musclecar is defined as a mid-size model with a V8 engine featuring 4V carburetion or greater. The GTO was indeed the first musclecar by virtue of it being based on the mid-size Tempest, with a 4V-V8 (389) as standard equipment (6V "Tri-Power" carburetion was available as an option). That was a first for any American brand, thereby indeed making the GTO the first (original) musclecar.

Last edited by Moanalua; 12-25-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 06:09 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's one way to look at it.

Do you really think that GM would actually shut down?

What we should have done is made a contract with GM to buy back ar a fixed price, ensuring we would not lose money. Ah hell, it's just ten billion dollars.
How much money dose the us spend in Iraq and and other countries. But I dont here people bitching about that. No just when the govt. saved millions of jobs then the people *****. What is wrong with this country. It's ok to give billions to other countries but not to save jobs I don't get it. O you relly think we will ever get what we spent fighting 2 wars back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive