Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 PM

41 posts, read 75,731 times

Advertisements

I have lived 16 years without XM radio and the way I see it I deserve to have it in the next car. 90% of the EXL is all this stuff I do not want like LED lights and power drivers seat and backup camera and heated seats. But the only way to get an Accord with satellite radio is to get an EXL. And the EXL comes with the more comfortable leather (leather seats are always more comfortable, not necessarily cleaner or more durable) which I do like but it is not really a requirement.

Basically the only way to get an Accord with satellite radio is to get one loaded. (Meanwhile every basic Hyundai, even the cheapo models, has satellite radio!)

I refuse to get aftermarket radio b/c I tried that in my old Accord and it never worked very well.

And before you recommend going the Hyundai route don't even go there, my husband refuses. As he likes to say, "Nothing in life is certain but death, taxes and a Honda Accord with 300,000 miles."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,061,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhinga3 View Post
I have lived 16 years without XM radio and the way I see it I deserve to have it in the next car. 90% of the EXL is all this stuff I do not want like LED lights and power drivers seat and backup camera and heated seats. But the only way to get an Accord with satellite radio is to get an EXL. And the EXL comes with the more comfortable leather (leather seats are always more comfortable, not necessarily cleaner or more durable) which I do like but it is not really a requirement.

Basically the only way to get an Accord with satellite radio is to get one loaded. (Meanwhile every basic Hyundai, even the cheapo models, has satellite radio!)

I refuse to get aftermarket radio b/c I tried that in my old Accord and it never worked very well.
There are great aftermarket options out there that'll perform better than the OEM stereo system. But, I guess the more logical choice is to pay a lot of money for stuff you don't want just to get satellite radio.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,309,828 times
Our 2014 Escape SE has Sirius free for 6 months but after that we won't pay for it. We use it only on long trips where we are in the boonies and can't get a decent signal to use the phone connected to internet radio, and that's maybe once or twice a year. We have had leather before and didn't like it as much as cloth.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 PM

I tried to put aftermarket radio (with Sirius/XM) in my 1998 LX and the Sirius/XM signal was always going out, the sound was horrible. I tried 4 different radios (Sony, Kenwood, Infinity, Pioneer). A nightmare I will not go through again.

In all the cars I have driven with OEM satellite radio I have never experienced any signal problems, sound problems etc.

And no, Pandora/my iPod are not replacements for the genius of satellite radio. Satellite radio music selection is incomparable and has sports/talk content that Pandora can't beat. And by the way, satellite radio is EXTREMELY CHEAP for the content you get.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,831,109 times
Get a new husband who can buy you a new Mercedes-Benz. lol. I keed.

Get the EX-L.......you only live ONCE. Don't be cheap.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM

693 posts, read 1,133,176 times
You plan on taking your money with you? Enjoy life! Get it as well equipped as your auto budget will allow.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,064,155 times
Quote:
After 16 years we are getting rid of our Honda Accord LX (base model of Accord). Time to buy a new car that we will keep for another 16 years.

My husband wants to buy the baseline cheapest Accord (in other words, another LX). I want to buy the loaded one because it has more comfortable seats and better audio/satellite radio.

He says XM/Sirius radio will be out of business soon and there's no point paying the extra 5 grand to get the loaded Accord. I say the loaded Accord will be more comfortable to drive as we age and keep its resale value better than the LX.

Invoice on an Accord LX is 21k.
Invoice on an Accord EXL is 26k

What makes more financial sense, buying the baseline model of a car, or buying the "loaded" model?
Depends, my mom got an EXL-v6. Lots of fancy safety features (crash detection, lane departure, camears to the side and rear), leather seats, auto dimming mirror, premium sound, keyless entry/start, etc. My parents typically keep cars for well over 10 years, so I think spending a few grand on the extras is probably worth it in that situation, since it will increase your enjoyment of the car and the long term cost will be pretty low.

The new accord is very nice, and I recommend the V6, that thing moves for being an accord...

However, I agree with your husband, satellite radio is meh - just stream Pandora (which the accord EX has an app for!).

Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,070,142 times
Take a look at the Sport. It has 10-way adjustable power seats with lumbar support, upgraded audio, but costs less than the EX.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Pandora is not a substitute for satellite radio. Pandora is subpar.

The sport does not have satellite radio.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,064,155 times
Quote:
Pandora is not a substitute for satellite radio. Pandora is subpar.

The sport does not have satellite radio.
You have a smartphone - you can stream Rhapsody, you can stream whatever you want (including internet radio stations). I don't think satellite radio is worth the monthly fee, but... if that's what you want, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive