Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,111,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
VW Golf diesel all the way...
Agree, best value small hatchback that fits tall and short while having impressive MPG with nice European drivability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,608,756 times
Honestly the Impreza's got the best visibility of any hatch out there right now. Which Mazda3 did you find had bad visibility, the 2013 or the new 2014? I'm finding the 2014 is fine except out the back, but that's what back-up cameras are for, and the blind spot monitoring works great also (on i Touring trims and above). The A-pillers are a little thick, but they're also more vertical than a lot of cars these days, which helps reduce the obstruction they cause. The 2013 was pretty bad visbility-wise, but most cars are going downhill in this area due to evolving safety requirements. The first-generation Mazda3 was even worse, trust me.

The Elantra GT's A-pillars are on the thick side, but the visibility is still decent. But it gets a 2.0L DI engine early next year, and I'd wait for that, the 1.8L it has now is pretty gutless.

Kia's supposedly got a 2014 Forte hatch coming, but it was supposed to be here by now and so far is completely MIA, no word from Kia on the delay. Too bad, it was supposed to get a 1.6L turbo and 200 HP. It might show up in Q1 2014.

There isn't much else out there for hatches. Don't go near Scion, they're all outdated.

There's always the VW Golf, checked that out yet? Assuming you can deal with the legendary (or mythical depending on who you ask) VW reliability.

Speaking of reliability, how about the Fiat 500? Hahaha, just kidding.

Thick pillars are just a fact of life these days though, blame crash testing and all that. No one makes go-carts with collapsing roofs anymore. C pillars are thicker wherever you go and B pillars are reasonably hefty too. D-pillars are actually disappearing as manufacturers shrink and then eliminate the rear-quarter window, or integrate it into the rear door as Mazda and Kia have done. A pillars vary, as I mentioned Subaru got them down pretty slim, Hyundai's are thick, and some manufacturers are in the middle but use various methods to reduce the visual cross-section at least. On the upside, these days you can get most compact cars with a selection of aids to compensate, including back-up cameras, blind spot monitoring systems, rear radar sensors for parking, etc.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,204,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I agree, hatchbacks are great.
I carried one of these:

of course taken apart, in one of these:

Even taken apart, the piece is long and heavy.

Are you looking for a 2 door hatchback or a 4 door hatchback.

I like the older Scion xA.
I also like the Honda Fit. That'd be my choice.

Runner up for me would be a Yaris. The Hyundai Accent would be okay, but I'm not familiar with them to comment.
No offense to Mazda, Ford or Chevy, I'm just not a fan.
If the Fit had a height adjustable drivers seat and a cloth interior option besdies black, she'd be all over it. The Mazda 3 we sat in was 2014. The Mazda 5 is about the same size as the Forester and the Forester fit better and is easier to see out of. I may go try the Golf again and see if the 2015's are in yet. It was difficult to see out of. Surprisingly the A3 hatchback wasn't; but it's over-priced. She was hoping to rent a Focus hatchback this weekend on her trip to visit Mom, so we'll see............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive