Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 07:14 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times

Advertisements

some people are renting tires and wheels these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 12:01 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Depends how used they are. many people, especially who get trucks/suvs or performance cars, switch the tires almost while they are brand new to something they like better.

Other people like to change them out when the tread get down too low for them for what ever reason (my dad is like this, he drives a lot to go out of town on business), but the tires are otherwise good for thousands of miles more.
I'm one of those people who replace the tires on most of my new cars almost immediately. OEM tires are usually a compromise in order to keep costs down. Tires can make an amazing difference in how a car rides/handles, so it's worth the money for me.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:56 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Nope...........I'd rather source brand new for a good price.

Just got a set of Bridgestone Alenza (275 xx 22's) at Costco for $1261 installed. They ride amazing and they will last me probably 3-4 years (45-60K miles). So for $315 ($26 a month) a year I'm done.

I used to buy new takeoffs at the dealer. When big rims were the rage the dealers would order base model rims/tires and pull them off and replace with aftermarket 20-22-24 inch rims/tires. So a brand new set of GM wheels with brand new zero mile tires were sitting in the parts department. I usually bought 4 rims/tires/center caps/lugnuts all in for $300. Take them home and bolt them on the truck. Only glitch on one set was the tire sensors didn't work but $60 and I swapped them out. You could usually sell the old rims/tires for $60-80 (steel wheels/thin tires) so it was a great deal while it lasted but once manufacturers starting making big wheels standard then this trend died.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:59 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
some people are renting tires and wheels these days.
yes I have a buddy that has made crazy money in that business for over 20 years.

His tag line for deadbeat "clients"= "Keep your stocks because we got blocks" meaning they will repossess the wheels for non-payment. (Stocks means stock rims, blocks means you will find your car up on blocks when they take the wheels back).

It tends to cater to people who probably shouldn't be renting rims/tires.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:58 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm one of those people who replace the tires on most of my new cars almost immediately. OEM tires are usually a compromise in order to keep costs down. Tires can make an amazing difference in how a car rides/handles, so it's worth the money for me.
In general, I've found the tires the factory put on the car last longer and are quieter than the ones I replace them with. I can't speak to traction because that's rarely an issue with me.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:59 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
yes I have a buddy that has made crazy money in that business for over 20 years.

His tag line for deadbeat "clients"= "Keep your stocks because we got blocks" meaning they will repossess the wheels for non-payment. (Stocks means stock rims, blocks means you will find your car up on blocks when they take the wheels back).

It tends to cater to people who probably shouldn't be renting rims/tires.

Well, the whole concept of renting rims and tires right off the bat tells you who you're dealing with.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:18 AM

3,507 posts, read 763,567 times
i never bought a new tire until i could not get them from my local junkyard .. the junkyard started selling every decent tire to used tire places ..

Old 01-04-2024, 07:45 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Kinda different but we have a place locally that has almost new "take offs". They customizes trucks and sell the tires they take off, sometimes the rims as well. They document and show you they only have 15 or 20 miles on them. My Yukon is sporting new Michelins that cost half of what most places were selling them for.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:31 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
In general, I've found the tires the factory put on the car last longer and are quieter than the ones I replace them with. I can't speak to traction because that's rarely an issue with me.
In general, I agree. I'm primarily concerned with safety (traction, braking, feedback), with comfort being secondary, and service life being of almost no importance to me. But, I understand that most people have different priorities. That being said, I've had OEM tires that were sub-par at everything.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:40 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I won't do used tires.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for when it comes to tires, and prefer to spend the money for high-quality top brand tires. With all the high tech safety and stability systems that come on cars, in addition to faster ABS and T/C systems, why cheap out when it comes to the one part of the car that actually touches the road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive