Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Wait till right lane is clear 49 57.65%
Wait till the whole road is clear 36 42.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

What if oncoming traffic has a green arrow and it is not a dual turn lane.
They are supposed to turn into the left lane and you could turn into the right lane but do you trust them to not turn into your lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,207 times
For me, it depends on the circumstance. If I need to get into the left lane, then yes I wait until the whole road is clear. However, if I am not - then just the right lane.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
??
People who absolutely hate getting stuck behind people who won't turn unless the entire road is clear exhibit an attitude that speaks of impatience which often causes hasty and ill-advised behaviour.
I was once honked for NOT turning on red at a dangerous intersection where the approaching traffic was often shielded from view by vehicles in the stopped lane. This happens when a truck is blocking the view or the intersection is not a right angle and it is imprudent to even poke into the intersection.
I got out of my car and asked the driver politely if there was something wrong. He got the message.
Remember, right on red is an OPTION, not a requirement!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
I don't go until I ascertain that it is safe to do so. You have to stop, and then yield the right of way to all other traffic. Maybe they're not supposed to change lanes, but that doesn't matter; you have a red light; it's your duty to stay out of their way.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i also determine depending on traffic. in heavy traffic i will wait a bit until there is a larger opening than just the one lane. in light traffic though i will generally go when the right lane is clear.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 PM

151 posts, read 193,780 times
Here's my theory...you never know what the oncoming traffic is going to do regardless if they use a turn signal or not.

If its two lanes going in the same direction, than I would absolutely wait. Who cares about the traffic behind you. Now if its three lanes going in the same direction and oncoming traffic is in the far left lane, only then would I turn in the inner most lane.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if oncoming traffic has the green light and hits you while you're turning, you'll most likely be ticketed for failing to yield. This could all be avoided if ppl wouldn't change lanes in the middle of an intersection but as stated, its your duty to stop and yield.

Last edited by Mr.Garcia; 12-02-2013 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Ugh, I absolutely hate getting stuck behind people who won't turn unless the entire road is clear. Even on a three lane road, they are unable to figure out how to safely turn into the first two lanes.

It's just bad driving, plain and simple.
It's called defensive driving. Unless you're turning at a green light, the vehicles on the main road have the right of way. If you turn into the rightmost lane just as someone decides to merge into it, you're at fault. If you want to optimize for speed by raising the risk of causing an accident that's your prerogative, though as a betting man I wouldn't take the risk for that reward.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What if oncoming traffic has a green arrow and it is not a dual turn lane.
They are supposed to turn into the left lane and you could turn into the right lane but do you trust them to not turn into your lane?
If the single left turn is onto a two lane road, no I do not trust oncoming traffic to turn only into the left lane and I will wait. If it's a dual-left turn onto a three lane road, again I don't trust that the person in the inside lane will turn into the middle lane and I'll wait. However,, if the single left turn is onto a three lane road, most people are going to turn into either the left or middle lane so I will turn right in that situation.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This. I'm not ever in such a rush that I can't wait to make sure I won't get hit by a lane changer.
Exactly. I wait until the whole road is clear before I turn right into the flow. I'm also one of those people who don't go out into the middle of the intersection to make a left turn across oncoming traffic. I value my life more than the extra few seconds.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Cuz many times drivers will change lanes from the left to the right just in front of you. Happens too frequently.
Yep, this as well. I rarely turn right with just the right lane clear because all too often I see people switch lanes in the middle of the intersection and I just don't trust other drivers enough. The exception is if it's easy to turn right onto the road (in other words, not a really sharp turn) and if the closest car in the next lane is far enough back to easily see me turning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive