Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 Hyundai Accent, bought in 2008. It's a great car and I have had no problems with it until now.

This summer I noticed a very small leak under the car, so I took it in and they told me it was an anti-freeze leak. So, we did a flush and fill, replaced the hose, no problem, right? Nope. Leak got worse, this time with multiple leaks, so I took the car back in. I have only taken it to the Hyundai service center. The next time they said a clamp had come loose, so they took care of that. I have now taken the car in at least 5 times as the leak became multiple leaks and bigger.

The service center has replaced all hoses twice, and replaced the radiator. Last time I took it in - about 2 weeks ago - they double sealed all the entry/exit points and ran it under a pressure test for 20 minutes. They said they saw no more leaks and it should be good.

Started leaking again, in at least 4 spots and making drips of multiple sizes under the car.

They have not charged me for the last few visits because, clearly, they are missing something. I'm going to call to bring it in again.

ANY idea of what could be going on that the leaks begin again as soon as I leave the shop?

And please don't suggest I take it somewhere else, because it is their job to fix it after all the money I paid (before they finally stopped charging me!).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Keep all records of the dealers attempts to fix the problem because if the engine runs out of coolant and damages the engine a court case may ensue..
Try to discover where exactly the fluid is leaking from by noticing where it leaks on the floor in relation to the engine.
After replacing all hoses and the radiator i start looking at things like water pump gasket,Heater hoses, overflow reservoir leaking, head gasket leak.
Odd that a dealer cant source the problem,its not that hard to figure out where the water is coming from..
I Dont have time to read through these web site but there might be something in here or you might want to address the issue to the Hyundai forum.
https://www.google.ca/#q=2007+Hyunda...ak&safe=active

Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Anything we can offer - over the internet - is nothing but a guess. I'm inclined to wonder about the water pump. But that is, of course, just a guess.

And yes, keep taking it to the dealership if they're going to work for free until they fix it correctly. But this really is an example of how you do NOT have "the best and brightest" working as techs at dealerships.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
Can you pin point where the leak is? I guess you did that already but this can give better idea of what might be going on.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
I have owned a repair shop for over 30 years.

Sometime we have had to leave a car under the pressure tester overnight to find a coolant leak. 20 minutes is nowhere near enough time for some leaks.

Water pumps are very bad about leaking intermittently. Perhaps only with the car running, perhaps only with the car off, perhaps with the car off but it depends where it came to rest.

You need to tell the dealer you are prepared to be without your car however long it takes to find this, they need to use that time.

There is dye that can be added to the coolant to trace leaks. You look for a trail with UV light -- kind of like CSI or Forsenic Files and luminol.

Don in Austin

Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i would start taking a close look at freeze plugs, anywhere there is a gasket, and any pipes that carry coolant. i had a coolant leak in my taurus that turned out to be a freeze plug that had deteriorated and a heater pipe that had cracked.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Thanks for all the replies! I know diagnosing auto problems over the internet is not really the best way, but I didn't know if maybe there were some things being overlooked. I really, really appreciate the responses.

I am thinking I will call/email the service department manager and explain the situation to him, and tell him the next time I bring my car in I expect to be the last time I bring my car in for this issue.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Its a shame you either cant trust mechanics, or they really cant find the problem. With ALL the right tools and equipment, and training on top of that, still nothing.

I feel bad for those who shell out thousands and get ripped off, and sometimes its so blatant that anyone that actually worked on cars would know what the deal is.

Its crazy how one can have everything they need to fix and diagnose, yet someone on here with "backyard" experience would be able to seek out the problem in a few minutes.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Well, find a large piece of cardboard, slide it onto the floor where vehicle parks, and let it sit overnight. Morning, mark where wheels are on the board, mark F - ront with arrow, and then drive off it. Circle stains, and take cardboard to dealer.
That's under the circumstance, that they AFTER ALL THIS WORK AT THEIR COST did not have enough wisdom to run dye test on it. Must NOT be in Hyundai repair manuals.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Wife's SUV had a leak. Took me about 30 minutes to figure it out. Coolant overflow/fill bottle had a crack. It would seal up when cold but as soon as internal pressure of the cooling system started to rise it opened the crack. Called picked up a new overflow bottle and $55 later car was good as new
I'm not a regular mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive