Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:56 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with either of these vendors? I find myself in need of a car and wonder if these options are better than going to a dealer. Was hoping to get something used, under 20k. (sedan, 6 cyl, under 70k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
If you know what to buy Carmax is fine, Autonation is just a traditional dealer responding to Carmax success.

On some cars you'll pay a lot more than you would at a traditional dealer, on some you can get a fair deal.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I don't know how you define a dealer, but both of these are dealers. You still go to a dealership, deal with salesmen and F&I, etc. If you think of the local "John Smith Family Dealerships" its like that times 20. Carmax has approximately 110 stores nationwide, AutoNation 250 or so.

CarMax has lots of customers happy with their hassle free business model. You may pay more money for the vehicle, and they won't come down on their prices. As always, shop around and know what the vehicle you want is selling for; there are good deals to be had with them.

Autonation isn't any different than Joe's Toyota. It is a traditional dealership owned by large corporation. In my hometown, the Autonation store was called "Pleasantville Toyota" until this year. You wouldn't know at first glance that it was an Autonation store. Its kind of like SCI does with the funeral homes...

Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Anyone have experience with either of these vendors? I find myself in need of a car and wonder if these options are better than going to a dealer. Was hoping to get something used, under 20k. (sedan, 6 cyl, under 70k)
I have owned a car repair shop for over 30 years.

When I tell somebody their car has a problem that will eventually be terminal, such as they ran it low on oil and it has a little engine knock which will eventually turn into a BIG problem, they often say, "Ok, I will sell it to CarMax." Several have reported they did just that.

CarMax offers warranties on their used cars but they don't seem to be worth much. Had a customer buy a late model high dollar Honda Pilot from them. They refused to fix the leaking rack & pinion steering gear because they said it "isn't leaking that much."

I have had several of my customers ask me about late model Hondas they were thinking about buying from CarMax. I try to send them to a trustworthy salesman at a local Honda dealership. Typically the Honda dealership has a similar car, maybe a year newer, less miles, certified, full service records, one owner trade-in, LESS $$$.

This is what little I know about market conditions in Austin, Texas. i own a repair shop, do NOT have a used car dealer's license and am NOT an expert regards used car wheeling and dealing. Your area might have very different market conditions from what I have observed here.

Don in Austin

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I've bought 3 cars from Carmax. While all 3 were in great shape on the last one I bought (a year ago), it turned out that the tires were dry rotted. Within a few days of getting the car home, I had a flat in my driveway, when I changed the tire I realized that I could squeeze the tire with my hand it was that soft. I called Carmax and they had me bring it in and they gave my a new set of tires + a free oil change. I would still deal with them and find that they stand behind their product. I don't think that they sell junk. Just my opinion.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Actually, Autonation was just like Carmax initially. Then they accepted defeat as a used only dealer and started buying up new car dealerships. Must have had a TON of financial backing.

Trust no one in used cars. They are equals in that respect. Use Carfax, and autocheck as prequal type tools, not as the ultimate benchmark. Those reports can take a car off your list, but they alone should not make you confident in buying one.

A pre purchase inspection by a reputable mechanic is the greatest value in the process of buying a used car.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I bought my last 2 vehicles from Carmax.

The first was a Ford F150 lightning and it was an awesome truck. I got the Carmax warranty and needed to use it once for a rear end issue that was probably my fault for it going out but they covered it.

My 2nd Vehicle from them is my current X5M, it had 2 issues that were both covered by the carmax warranty and the cost was more than I had to pay for the warranty to begin with, so they have stood behind the warranty and I would not hesitate to buy another car from them if they had one I was looking for.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Actually, Autonation was just like Carmax initially. Then they accepted defeat as a used only dealer and started buying up new car dealerships. Must have had a TON of financial backing.
Yes. They Had Wayne Huizenga as one of their initial investors.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:45 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I bought from Autonation when they were exactly like CarMax. I've bought one car from CarMax. Both cars were great, and that warranty was actually worth it for one of the cars. It paid more than I paid for the warranty.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:47 PM

84 posts, read 200,293 times
I sold my 2010 honda civic with 23k to Carmax. After I bought my Acura TL, I needed to sell the Civic. Carmax gave me thousands more than any Honda dealer did. Whoever bought my car got a meticulously maintained car in great shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive