Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Adjust speed 54 63.53%
Stay at current speed 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times

Advertisements

Remember when entering a limited access highway, there was a 'yield' sign? Since those signs were removed, I've noticed that almost all drivers enter the highway as if there were no one else. The don't look for approaching traffic, slow down or speed up, they just enter the highway at whatever speed they are driving on the approach road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
I speed up.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. That's why we have rules of traffic, because most of us are really really bad at driving via telepathy. That's also why those on the highway should maintain their speed, so that the traffic merging doesn't have to guess whether the driver already on the highway is going to speed up, slow down, or maintain speed, and the merging driver only has ONE scenario to deal with, not three possible ones.
This is true.

But I can think of several short and typically very busy on-ramps in my county where it is pretty much impossible to reach merging speed when entering the freeway and where in the know drivers switch to the middle lane.

Sometimes traffic engineers **** up.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is fine to say that it's the responsibility of the merging driver to adjust, but a large pct. of merging drivers are not aware of such a rule. Therefore I think the person in the right lane needs to be prepared to adjust speed if necessary to avoid a collision.
Their ignorance is not my problem or responsibility. If they are supposed to match speeds and merge, then I shouldn't be changing mine.

All drivers need to be prepared at all times to stay out of trouble.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
1. If possible, I move over a lane.
2. If thats not possible, I accelerate ahead the vehicle entering the freeway.
3. If thats not possible, I give a slight tap on the brake, and the let other vehicle merge in front of me.

I don't understand people who won't let others merge in front of them. Usually a five mph speed adjustment is all it takes to let the other vehicle in. If everybody would just cooperate with each other, everybody gets where they are going quicker.

Plus what happens if the other driver is zoned out and doesn't see you? He hits your car, forcing you into the next lane hitting another car, and you end up with a chain reaction accident. You and a half dozen other drivers end up with ambulance rides to the hospital. Then 10,000 more people get stuck for an hour in the traffic jam, while emergency responders clean up the mess, caused because couldn't give a slight tap your brake and let another vehicle merge in front of you.

I just don't get it.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Not this again, it should be obvious.

If you are hanging out in the right-lane....expect to occasionally have to adjust your speed to avoid an accident.

Yeah, I know, merging vehicle is responsible...........so go ahead and get into an avoidable accident!!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I always adjust my speed to accommodate the new driver. I will typically either slow down or change lanes. It isn't just rude to block them, it's also dangerous. I once almost got into a horrific accident because a man in a truck would not make room for me. That remains with me. He ran me nearly off the road and could have killed me.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pretend traffic is too heavy to switch lanes.

Adjust speed or just stay at your current speed?

I personally avoid adjusting my speed because i used to get into many situations where i would speed up so he can filter behind me but at the same time he is trying to speed up to filter in front of me which creates an awkward situation.
Most of the time you do nothing. It is the merging driver's job to merge into the lane by matching his speed to traffic. If traffic is light, you can move over to the left lane for them to move in - especially if there's a lot of cars that want to merge into the traffic.

But you don't speed up or slow down on the highway. Why would you? It necessitates everyone else behind you having to do the same. Let the incoming car do the adjusting.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
you're doing it wrong... you don't speed up, you slow down. People coming on the ramp are speeding up to get into traffic, you speeding up just makes the situation worse.

Just slow down and let them in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I always adjust my speed to accommodate the new driver. I will typically either slow down or change lanes. It isn't just rude to block them, it's also dangerous. I once almost got into a horrific accident because a man in a truck would not make room for me. That remains with me. He ran me nearly off the road and could have killed me.
Stories like this person's are also why you slow down. Be nice let the people in.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 PM

28 posts, read 60,234 times
The guys that have the overpowered so called muscle cars say that is why they have them. They have the power to suddenly jump from 60 to 100mph in a split second so they can safely speed up and away from danger.... Ask any of them this and they will tell you the same thing. Superfast performance cars are made that way to help the driver be safe. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive