Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The KY law.

It does not instruct drivers to pull over to the right.

Move Over Laws - Protect Those Who Protect You
They probably assumed it wasn't necessary, although why anyone who knows anything about Kentucky drivers would ever make such an assumption is a mystery to me. I've never seen worse drivers, or just plain dumber drivers, anywhere in my life. Twisty, hilly roads, where the visibility is never more than a couple of hundred yards and the speed is generously posted at 35 MPH, you get rear-ended or run off the road if you're going less than 45 or 50. They rocket along as though they're on the interstate.

We sold a car recently, and I knocked $700 off the price just to get rid of it so I wouldn't have to take any more test drives with these Kentucky drivers. One woman was driving along, 10 miles below the speed of other traffic, one foot on the gas and one foot constantly on the brake, and suddenly stopped in the left lane at an intersection. Cars swerved around us on the right side, horns blaring, and I asked her, "Um, what are we doing here?" She said, "I'm making a left turn." I said, "Well, you might want to turn your signal on so people know that."

At that moment, there was a break in the oncoming traffic, and she made her turn. She said, with an exasperated sigh, "I don't know why that happens every time I make a turn. If I'm just stopping at an intersection, then obviously it's because I'm turning. Why else would I be stopping?"

That, plus the test drivers who didn't bother using their turn signal or even looking in the mirror when making lane changes on the freeway, was enough to make me drop the price of the car just to get rid of it before someone totaled it. I've never seen dumber drivers in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
What bugs me is that after everyone pulls over and the EV passes, the jerk in the back gasses it and attempts to cut ahead of the guy in front of him who is trying to merge back in the lane. Everyone should file back into the column in the same order we started in!
You can't do that, though, or every single car who pulled over would have to stay on the side of the road until the emergency vehicle got to wherever it was going.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Where is this a state law, pulling to the right for an emergency vehicle? I thought this was a courtesy, not an enforceable law. This could be why these drivers don't know what the heck they're doing. Whether it's a law or not I believe the drivers who interfere with the course of an emergency vehicle deserve to get fined.
I sure hope you don't drive a car, because if you do, you're exactly the kind of driver that everyone else in this thread is pulling their hair out over and making fun of. You live in Indiana? Here is the law in Indiana -

If you drive a car in Indiana, there is no excuse at all for you not knowing that.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:20 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
And then there are those that appear to abuse the pull over rule. Was driving on a road that had a bike lane on both sides of road~ four lanes of traffic in each direction and a center turn lane. I was driving in left lane next to occupied bike lane when an emergency vehicle was in way right hand lane going other way. Person in lane two going opposite way decided that emergency vehicle needed more room so slammed on brakes ~ swerved in front of me and HIT two bikers in bike lane while coming to complete stop~ then proceeded to go after EV~ 8 traffic lanes over~ went past. Meanwhile 2 injured bikers laying alongside road. Think a little common sense should prevail, like maybe slowing would have been enough.

And yes~ I stopped to help bikers~2 broken arms and bikes mangled. Another EV on the road.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
It frightens me to see how some of you are even debating whether it is the law or not.
2 things I would always do, call it courtesy, call it being cautious, call it common sense:

1) Pull over to the far right side and stop, unless the EV is traveling in the opposite direction and there is no indication & feasible way that it would be coming to my side of the road.
That said, it frustrates me when I see people on the freeways who come to a crawling speed and even stop momentarily, just to spectate the accident that occurred on the opposite side when there is absolutely no need to do so other than to satisfy their stupid curiosity.

2) Provide a lane of cushion by moving over 1 lane to the left if there is a EV pulled over to the side of the road and appears to be on duty. Worst case scenario, I drop my speed to <25mph as I pass by it.

I'd do this in any state, regardless.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The KY law.

It does not instruct drivers to pull over to the right.

Good catch. But I'm still not sure that that allows drivers to cross over a double yellow line, and stop on the wrong side of the road. If you got a ticket for it, I suppose you could argue in court that you had to cross the yellow line in order to comply with 189.930. But honestly I don't read the law that way, and I kind of doubt a judge would either.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I was in a left turn lane, at a red light (arrow), while the other two lanes also had cars stopped at the red light. There was no where to go, so I stayed. The fire truck came up behind the guy in the lane next to me. He pulled out and in front of the car to the right of him. The fire truck rolled through. If the truck wanted though where I was then I would have done the same thing the other car did. Was I wrong? There was a grass median with a curb to the left of me.

Another time, I was in the right lane of the Beltway (495) in Virginia. There was a fire truck coming behind me. At first I went for the shoulder, but I quickly realized that the fire truck wanted to use the shoulder (the road was jammed with cars). So, I got back into the right lane and let him have the shoulder. He took it and was gone. Was I wrong?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
never seen this... wth?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
You can't do that, though, or every single car who pulled over would have to stay on the side of the road until the emergency vehicle got to wherever it was going.
Yes you can. You pull back in after the EV passes you, and be courteous and allow the next guy in front of you to get back in front of you. Its not that hard.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It frightens me to see how some of you are even debating whether it is the law or not.
2 things I would always do, call it courtesy, call it being cautious, call it common sense:

1) Pull over to the far right side and stop, unless the EV is traveling in the opposite direction and there is no indication & feasible way that it would be coming to my side of the road.
That said, it frustrates me when I see people on the freeways who come to a crawling speed and even stop momentarily, just to spectate the accident that occurred on the opposite side when there is absolutely no need to do so other than to satisfy their stupid curiosity.

2) Provide a lane of cushion by moving over 1 lane to the left if there is a EV pulled over to the side of the road and appears to be on duty. Worst case scenario, I drop my speed to <25mph as I pass by it.

I'd do this in any state, regardless.
It is astounding that some people are even debating whether it is the law. What were these folks doing during driver's ed class. Driver's education class is not that difficult or hard if you are paying attention and take it seriously. SMH at calling it a courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive