Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
Another thing is they can't keep constant speed. They drive 60-65 then tap on the brakes to 50-55. Also, when I pass them they drive up to 80MPH and pass me again then slow down.
Oh, I hate those people!! Recently on a 4-lane highway, I came up behind a LLH going about 70 (in a 65 zone) - gave him a few seconds to move over, a few polite headlight flashes, then gave up and decided to pass on the right. He saw me trying to get around, and suddenly sped up to around NINETY. Dude, if you'd been going 90 in the first place, I wouldn't have tried to pass you.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
If my truck is loaded with 44,000 pounds of groceries, I can easily slow down to 50 mph even on the slightest upgrades. At best, I can only go 65 mph, so the left lane really isn't an option for me (unless it's a left hand exit. or it's two lanes and I can easily pass a slower vehicle in the right lane. But I do agree that "slower traffic keep right" should be more often enforced.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Why? Every day I drive I get stuck behind someone driving in the left lane? I can't even go 70MPH with all the left lane hogs. Then when I speed into the right lane, a semi-truck is driving 50MPH. The limit is 55MPH. The LLHs drive 60-65 and don't even mive over. Why?
Because the left lane is incorrectly referred to as the "fast lane" in everyday speech. There is no "fast lane"; there are only traffic lanes and a passing lane.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Why? Every day I drive I get stuck behind someone driving in the left lane? I can't even go 70MPH with all the left lane hogs. Then when I speed into the right lane, a semi-truck is driving 50MPH. The limit is 55MPH. The LLHs drive 60-65 and don't even mive over. Why?
Usually depends on the circumstance, on undivided highways people in the left lane maybe planning to turn left, or if traffic is heavy the left lane might be moving faster than the right lane, however on an interstate the left lane is considered a passing lane and if you are in it and not passing any one and theres a line of cars behind you move over and let the cars pass,its the courteous thing to do

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because the left lane is incorrectly referred to as the "fast lane" in everyday speech. There is no "fast lane"; there are only traffic lanes and a passing lane.
There is no "fast" lane because people are blocking the left lane.

Actually, you're correct.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:04 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have a friend who's originally from Europe (Russia), and spent his childhood mostly in Canada & NYC - and he is ALWAYS on my case about how Californians call it the "fast lane." Yes, we know it is technically the passing lane, but everyone calls it the passing lane! One time I was driving him on the freeway, and he asked why I was hanging out on the left for so long... um, because I'm passing everyone else on the freeway?

(I was going faster than the middle & right lanes, and will get over if someone faster approaches from behind; isn't that how it's supposed to be used?)

Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I once worked with a guy that said he drove the speed limit in the left lane to help other people not get a speeding ticket.

I don't know why people feel they have to drive in the passing lane when the other lanes are clear. I am lucky in that I RARELY have to drive on the interstate. I had to drive to the airport the other day and there were dozens of people in the left lane with cars passing them on the right. My guess is they are clueless about what they are doing.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
If my truck is loaded with 44,000 pounds of groceries, I can easily slow down to 50 mph even on the slightest upgrades. At best, I can only go 65 mph, so the left lane really isn't an option for me (unless it's a left hand exit. or it's two lanes and I can easily pass a slower vehicle in the right lane. But I do agree that "slower traffic keep right" should be more often enforced.

Now Chief you know these people could care less that you are hauling their groceries to the store that shop at so they can eat.
You and your truck are just in the way all the time and you should park until they are all off the road and have reached their destination.
Just like those who complain that the fuel delivery truck is "in their way" when he is dropping gasoline at the station they happen to be out........well how do you think all that gasoline actually gets to that gas pump? Do you seriously believe it comes down the pipe line directly to the station?

Chief, you be safe out there and thank you for doing a thankless job.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:25 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Some states made the left lane an HOV lane (which is also the hybrid vehicle lane).....so now you have old ladies in Priuses/ Lexus Hybrids cutting off 4-5 lanes of traffic to get to the "holy grail" left lane only to drive 55......I don't get peeved, just pass in the other lanes!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Maybe because they were passing the truck driver who was doing five miles per hour under the speed limit. This may come as a surprise, but you don't own the passing lane. Other drivers are allowed to use it to pass as well. They are not obliged to stay behind a truck going five miles an hour below the limit just so you can pass at 70 instead of 60. Wait your turn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive