Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:32 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

I wonder if the majority of those that clean off there cars do it because they feel its a safety concern or if because they dont want to get a ticket?

Can you please rest your case? Now you seem to have your doubts about why people actually spend time to clean off before they drive simply because you don't?? We know your views on this and I think that is enough.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Sure thing. Not trying to beat a dead horse, was just trying to approach it a little differently. Everyone has there pet peeves as mine are lack of blinker usage and for others it is those that dont remove snow from there car.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i'd imagine the majority of people dont have garages or if they do the garage is so full of junk that you couldnt get a car in it anyway..

Not cleaning your car of snow will get you a $150 fine up here if a cop wants to push the issue.
Snow coming off a car can be dangerous, snow coming off a semi trailer in one massive sheet is something to behold..
I always think that it is funny that people will keep items that they never use or are even broke in a garage, maybe they have a $1,000 in stuff stored in the garage of mostly worthless items while on the average a $20,000 car is rotting outside.

I have seed old refrigerators, TV's, bags of clothing, old furniture, other well used household items taking space in a garage while a very nice car is sitting outside. I would bet that a year or five go by and many of these garages will look the same or even worse.

People, get rid of the junk. I realize you paid good money for that stuff, but its time has come. You got all the value that you will ever get our of it. Time to pass it on to someone else. Garages are for cars.

In another post I was chastised for not reading the ops first post. I did read it and found it funny that the OP was upset that a driver was driving under the speed limit. I will agree that the person driving under the speed limit may need to get the snow off the car. Still, even if it was clear, is it possible that that person thought that 50 was the safe speed for that road?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

In another post I was chastised for not reading the ops first post. I did read it and found it funny that the OP was upset that a driver was driving under the speed limit. I will agree that the person driving under the speed limit may need to get the snow off the car. Still, even if it was clear, is it possible that that person thought that 50 was the safe speed for that road?
Earlier I thought you did not read my post properly so I gave you benefit of doubt now it looks like to me you drive exactly like that lady was driving. Otherwise please explain why play devil's advocate when I explained everything so clearly to you in my previous post? Do you need a picture of that car to be sure? I was not upset because she was driving under the speed limit. I was upset because she had about 1ft of snow on hood. If you have that can you drive 65MPH without getting yourself killed?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Earlier I thought you did not read my post properly so I gave you benefit of doubt now it looks like to me you drive exactly like that lady was driving. Otherwise please explain why play devil's advocate when I explained everything so clearly to you in my previous post? Do you need a picture of that car to be sure? I was not upset because she was driving under the speed limit. I was upset because she had about 1ft of snow on hood. If you have that can you drive 65MPH without getting yourself killed?
I do like to drive safe. When it is wet out I don't drive very fast. We don't have any snow around here and my only experience is with a couple Iowa winters. In Iowa we would also drive slow because of black ice on the road. That was always fun to drive on. I have no idea what her car looked like or how she drives or how you drive. I do know that most people just do not drive as safe as they should. Not saying that a foot of snow on the hood is driving safe. I also don't think that doing the speed limit is safe in snowy conditions just because it is the posted limit. If their is snow on the top of a car isn't it safe to say that it recently snowed? If it recently snowed then I don't think that driving the speedlimit is safe. I wouldn't know what the safe speed would be, That would be up to each individual driver to determine what is a safe speed.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
There definitely should be clear laws about that.

I'm usually the first person to assume that people who do something stupid are either lazy or just complete a**holes, but in this case I think it may be absent-mindedness. When I was first learning how to drive, I made the mistake of not brushing snow off the roof of my car and my dad didn't say anything because he wanted me to learn the hard way. Sure enough, I ended up having to stop a little short before making a right turn out of a commerce center onto a busy main road and ALL the snow from the roof of the car slid down onto the windshield, making it impossible to see. To make matters worse, the snow was too heavy for the wipers to take off in a timely manner, so my dad made me get out of the car and remove the snow myself.

It was super embarrassing. Needless to say, I never made that mistake again!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Bet you feel better you got your 2 cents in dont you?

I consider it part of the snow driving experience.

On semi trucks I definitely see a danger with sheets of ice sliding off the back, but for passenger cars its not a biggie for me. I get more angry at those that spray there windshield washer fluid when they are in front of me after I have just washed my car.
Do you honestly not care if you have snow on top that freezes overnight and the next morning it can fly right into the person behind you and crack their windshield or worse cause an accident as they swerve from it? It's one thing to have never thought about it, but another to say it's ok. You just got through complaining about someone being inconsiderate...

Last edited by ovi8; 12-11-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Do you honestly not care if you have snow on top that freezes overnight and the next morning it can fly right into the person behind you and crack their windshield or worse cause an accident as they swerve from it? It's one thing to have never thought about it, but another to say it's ok. You just got through complaining about someone being inconsiderate...
I've never seen this happen to anyone around where I live. Snow has come off other people's cars onto mine, some ice and slush has come off other people's cars onto mine, and never has my windshield cracked, never have I seen people swerve to avoid some snow falling off a car, etc. I also don't see people driving around with a tiny viewing hole through an otherwise entirely ice covered windshield.

People really seem to be dramatizing what can happen. Someone said that an ice sheet would come off a person's car and slit someone's throat? Seriously?! Please, someone, provide a reference where an ice sheet came off a person's car and slit another person's throat, or how someone was severely blinded by some snow mist coming off another person's car and ran a child over. And then you have a poster in here who is going all nuts about the idea of someone not completely cleaning the snow off their car, but thinks that anyone who drives under the speed limit after a recent snow is a bad driver and endangering others. Yea right - the speed limit is the LIMIT of speed you are supposed to achieve on a road/freeway/highway - it is not the only speed that a person can travel. You can get ticketed for going too far under the speed limit, but going 50 mph on a 65 mph speed limit freeway after a recent snow is not going too slow.

Either there are trolls in here, or there are actually people out there who think some snow on a person's car is going to cause massive accidents along with slitting the throats of pedestrians. Watch out for that car with some snow on it, you don't want to get decapitated!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The OP gave you a reason, but of course, you don't care if he almost got killed. At least you're okay.

That's his problem, I don't clear it either. Get over it.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I've never seen this happen to anyone around where I live. Snow has come off other people's cars onto mine, some ice and slush has come off other people's cars onto mine, and never has my windshield cracked, never have I seen people swerve to avoid some snow falling off a car, etc. I also don't see people driving around with a tiny viewing hole through an otherwise entirely ice covered windshield.

People really seem to be dramatizing what can happen. Someone said that an ice sheet would come off a person's car and slit someone's throat? Seriously?! Please, someone, provide a reference where an ice sheet came off a person's car and slit another person's throat, or how someone was severely blinded by some snow mist coming off another person's car and ran a child over. And then you have a poster in here who is going all nuts about the idea of someone not completely cleaning the snow off their car, but thinks that anyone who drives under the speed limit after a recent snow is a bad driver and endangering others. Yea right - the speed limit is the LIMIT of speed you are supposed to achieve on a road/freeway/highway - it is not the only speed that a person can travel. You can get ticketed for going too far under the speed limit, but going 50 mph on a 65 mph speed limit freeway after a recent snow is not going too slow.

Either there are trolls in here, or there are actually people out there who think some snow on a person's car is going to cause massive accidents along with slitting the throats of pedestrians. Watch out for that car with some snow on it, you don't want to get decapitated!
+1.

I've lived and driven in snow country (Colorado and Michigan) since 1985 and do not ever recall thinking to myself that this was any sort of a problem.A lot more likely to get a cracked windshield from flying gravel used for traction, really. And yes, I do clear snow except for the parts I can't reach on my tall cargo vans. And no, I am not getting out a ladder in sub-freezing temperatures to clear off the very tippy-top of the van. Nor am I going to carry a ladder around with me so I can clean it off in random parking lots during the day when it's snowing heavily and accumulating. If you are driving so close to the rear of a vehicle that you can SEE has snow or ice on the top and this is a concern for you...well you are driving too close.

I have however seen people squinting through a tiny little clear spot in their windshield while they wait for the defroster to do its thing.

I've also, in extreme conditions, driven at less than 50 mph in a 70 mph zone, when the roads are really evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive