Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Dedicated winter tires (but not all of them are as good as they say) can make a difference in adverse winter driving conditions, but they are no substitute for winter driving experience coupled with some common sense--the latter very obviously severely lacking in the Wisconsin mess. I agree with a whole lot of other people when they say that the big problem in the United States is that it is way too easy to get a driver's license without proper training and way too easy to keep it when it is blatantly obvious that a driver is unwilling or unable to drive prudently. Getting bad drivers off the road, permanently when necessary, would solve much of the problems. Somehow, people got the hare-brained idea that driving is a right and not a privilege in this country. We should get over that crap--and treat driving as a privilege that can be easily revoked from people who can't or won't drive safely.

You can make it as difficult as you want to get a driver's licensing and it will NOT make a significant difference. Some of the "best and brightest" drivers operate a motor vehicle while talking in a cell phone or partaking in other distractions. The court system does NOT take people off the road much unless there are a few deaths involved. For example, WTMJ reported that you can have ten DUI convictions and your license will NOT be revoked permanently.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...wi-penchrt.pdf

The last two fatality accidents that I came across locally in N. Illinois have involved drivers who are operating vehicles without an operator's license and of course, no insurance. The first guy actually was involved is a fatality crash ten years ago but jumped bail and returned to Mexico. He returned in 2007 and within a few months crossed left of center and killed a 65 year old motorcyclist.

Judges talk tough - especially at election time - but rarely will revoke licenses permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Dedicated winter tires (but not all of them are as good as they say) can make a difference in adverse winter driving conditions, but they are no substitute for winter driving experience coupled with some common sense--the latter very obviously severely lacking in the Wisconsin mess. I agree with a whole lot of other people when they say that the big problem in the United States is that it is way too easy to get a driver's license without proper training and way too easy to keep it when it is blatantly obvious that a driver is unwilling or unable to drive prudently. Getting bad drivers off the road, permanently when necessary, would solve much of the problems. Somehow, people got the hare-brained idea that driving is a right and not a privilege in this country. We should get over that crap--and treat driving as a privilege that can be easily revoked from people who can't or won't drive safely.
Winter tires aren't supposed to be a substitute for common sense. I have never heard anyone seriously claim that one is supposed to be a substitute for the other -- as if you can't use both common sense and dedicated winter tires. One might argue that "common sense" would include using readily available equipment as is appropriate for the season.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:10 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Winter tires aren't supposed to be a substitute for common sense. I have never heard anyone seriously claim that one is supposed to be a substitute for the other -- as if you can't use both common sense and dedicated winter tires. One might argue that "common sense" would include using readily available equipment as is appropriate for the season.
At the risk of being redundant again , common sense is required in all driving situations, notably more so in inclement weather, especially certain snow/ice conditions. Sadly, as so many agree, too many people think this applies to 'the other guy' and they know better and are better drivers.

No one (that I have seen) who advocates using winter tires suggests they replace common sense. As Drover implies, I agree that using them when appropriate demonstrates the presence thereof. As I have said on this topic before, it is (like texting, DUI, speeding, etc) unfortunate that many who are careful can be injured or worse because 'the other guy' thinks they are 'better'.

Never assume the other guy is in control or sees you...

Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
The two main factors in this accident are people driving TOO fast for the conditions and NOT paying attention to the road ahead of them.

The Wal-Mart driver was the best, STOP, not that he could have made it through at that point.

From what I could see two cars went off the right side of the road, what is there?

It is amazing the other side of the highway seemed un-effected by the accident, the rubberneckers usually cause a problem on that side too.

I can't slow down or I'll be late but I can sit on the side of the road for hours while the mess is cleaned up.

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 12-15-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 04:31 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Not sure if someone mentioned this yet in the thread, but the Wal-Mart truck was the real hero in this situation.
The other 3 trucks seen earlier in the footage seemed like they were in a hurry, and didn't even bother to stay in place at the scene of an accident.
The size of all four trucks including the Wal-Mart truck was large enough to act as a warning sign to drivers several miles behind about traffic on the road up ahead coming to a halt.
I was waiting for cars to crash into the Wal-Mart truck. If they couldn't react to the crash in front of them, what makes them better able to react to a truck being there?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I was waiting for cars to crash into the Wal-Mart truck. If they couldn't react to the crash in front of them, what makes them better able to react to a truck being there?
My guess would be the height of the truck -- people saw it was stopped sooner than any of the other cars, so they were able to slow before hitting it. Also, all of the traffic may have been slowing by then as a residual effect of the pileup in front, so they had more reaction time. But we don't know for sure that cars didn't hit the walmart truck too… because the footage ends right after he comes to a stop. Very probably because that was the end of the accident, but I can't say that for sure without seeing the rest of the footage.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I don't blame the other trucks for moving on if they weren't actually involved. Best to notify authorities and move on rather than have even more vehicles in the way of emergency vehicles trying to get to those who need assistance. No point in sticking around if you're not involved, because if you do stick around during an on-going pile-up, chances are you will become involved.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
My guess would be the height of the truck -- people saw it was stopped sooner than any of the other cars, so they were able to slow before hitting it.
Yes, he had the sense not only to stop, but turn on his emergency flashers. Flashing red lights 12 feet above the road are visible from a very long way off. People saw those flashers a mile away, and had plenty of time to react and adjust. That driver may very well have saved lives by the way he handled that situation.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yes, he had the sense not only to stop, but turn on his emergency flashers. Flashing red lights 12 feet above the road are visible from a very long way off. People saw those flashers a mile away, and had plenty of time to react and adjust. That driver may very well have saved lives by the way he handled that situation.
I've never seen trucks with emergency flashers 12 feet above the road. I didn't see any on the W-M truck either. The emergency lights tend to be the same lights as the turn signals.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:37 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
all them idiots should have lost there licence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive