Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Wisconsin is NOT a no-fault state like Michigan. I am sure that most of the people will file their claims with their own insurers and let the insurance carriers fight it out in court.

My the way, the Wisconsin State Patrol called for people to slow down last night as the area was again to be blanketed by 4-6 inches of snow. (again, reported by WTMJ-AM)

In my old age, it is much easier to turn on the computer and watch/listen to games rather than deal with the snow and ice.
Good point re: the no-fault issue. Michigan does it different.

In my part of Michigan we don't get the snow that the west side and you folks in Wisconsin get. However we have about five inches predicted by midnight, and I am seeing that many stretches of freeway are now being closed because of multiple accidents in the county.

I have no problem driving in nasty conditions if I have to - like for work - but if I don't have to, I'll stay home, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Good point re: the no-fault issue. Michigan does it different.

In my part of Michigan we don't get the snow that the west side and you folks in Wisconsin get. However we have about five inches predicted by midnight, and I am seeing that many stretches of freeway are now being closed because of multiple accidents in the county.

I have no problem driving in nasty conditions if I have to - like for work - but if I don't have to, I'll stay home, thanks.

Remember that Milwaukee generally gets the same type of snow falls that Detroit Metro. There is not much "lake effect" snow like you would get in SW Michigan.

The forecast for last Sunday as I remember was that the accumulation would be 1-2" and that it would be done by "noon-ish". However, the snow did NOT stop.

If I were in my own car, I might have taken the detour around another fatality accident in my area. However, since I was in my wife's new car with ABS brakes, I had ZERO confidence in keeping the vehicle under control so I turned around. Considering that the weather continued to deteriorate further, I do NOT regret the decision.

================================

As for Michigan law, there is some good aspects to the no-fault laws in quick resolutions of accident claims. However, it is more costly and you better hope that all the insurance companies understand Michigan law.

When i rolled my Chevette near Monroe, MI many years ago, my health insurer (in Maryland) refused to pay my medical claims. Fortunately, a five minutes "training session" from the auto insurer in Michigan cleared the confusion quickly.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
You'd swear they never drove in winter conditions before in their lives. Mark Belling, a local AM radio talk show host, had quite a bit to say about these drivers on his show.

It's just a matter of people driving way too aggressively like they like to do in the Milwaukee and Chicago area. Plus a good set of tires really makes a difference. I'm not even using winter tires but the Good Year Eagle GT tires are a huge improvement from what I had before.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I had the good fortune to drive through snow storms 3 times in the last two weekends. Some of the driving behavior I witnessed was thoroughly atrocious. It seems a sheer stroke of luck that the worst I saw was a bunch of spinouts, but even those didn't deter some people from blazing across 3" of snow at 70mph.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Senseless. I guess they had snow tires on and figured they were invincible.

Edit: Can there possibly be this many stupid people on the roads? My God!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
You might be surprised at how few people in the Snow Belt actually use winter tires. I would bet no more than 7 or 8 of the cars involved in this moron festival had dedicated snow tires.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 AM

458 posts, read 644,646 times
Not sure if someone mentioned this yet in the thread, but the Wal-Mart truck was the real hero in this situation.
The other 3 trucks seen earlier in the footage seemed like they were in a hurry, and didn't even bother to stay in place at the scene of an accident.
The size of all four trucks including the Wal-Mart truck was large enough to act as a warning sign to drivers several miles behind about traffic on the road up ahead coming to a halt.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post

Edit: Can there possibly be this many stupid people on the roads? My God!
Snow tires vs. All-Season tires - there is a lot to know and learn about tires, the vehicle, and so on. It is not necessary to have snow tires, but people need to do their own research and buy the right tires. Even when people are buying brand new cars they should pay attention to the tires that come with the car because they may need to be upgraded to a better all-season tire that can handle whatever you'll be up against. (I am thinking of a friend who bought a new Camry a few years back and when winter came she couldn't get up some hills so she bought better tires (not snows) and that solved the problem. You'd think new cars would come with the right tires, them knowing where the car will be sold - in this case Minnesota. )

I have driven mid-sized cars for years and have always bought all-seasons. I never had a problem with performance in snow or rain. I took the time to learn which tires were best for my vehicles. I adjust my driving for the conditions. On dry, clear days I drive the speed limit, a concept foreign to many people. Imagine how fast those people in the video go when there's NOT a snowstorm.

Also, it is not just what tires a person has on their vehicle that can make them think they are invincible, but the vehicle itself. Such a large amount of people think just because they drive an SUV type vehicle or the magic traction type vehicle that they, too, are invincible. Yeah, right.

Finally, you asked can there possibly be this many stupid people on the roads? YES, and they are in ALL FIFTY STATES!! I am sure everyone knows that though.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:07 PM

^^ As someone said in one of the numerous "winter vs. all-season tires" threads, "I've yet to meet anyone who has tried a modern snow tire that would be willing to live another Winter without them." Count me among the converted. I will never settle for all-season tires again for as long as I live in the Snow Belt. Even the "best" all-seasons are no contest for a solid set of dedicated winter tires. And what makes one set of all-seasons "better" than other all-seasons in winter often compromises their capabilities in warm weather. All-seasons are a "master of nothing" compromise I'm not willing to make.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Dedicated winter tires (but not all of them are as good as they say) can make a difference in adverse winter driving conditions, but they are no substitute for winter driving experience coupled with some common sense--the latter very obviously severely lacking in the Wisconsin mess. I agree with a whole lot of other people when they say that the big problem in the United States is that it is way too easy to get a driver's license without proper training and way too easy to keep it when it is blatantly obvious that a driver is unwilling or unable to drive prudently. Getting bad drivers off the road, permanently when necessary, would solve much of the problems. Somehow, people got the hare-brained idea that driving is a right and not a privilege in this country. We should get over that crap--and treat driving as a privilege that can be easily revoked from people who can't or won't drive safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive