Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times

Advertisements

No four-door passenger sedan available in the USA will do you any good, since very few 4-door sedans can seat three in front and three in back once the Toyota Avalon with a column shift was discontinued recently, in 2010 or 2011, IIRC.

An SUV with three rows of seats or a minivan are your only options, sad to say; they're all made for huge families such as yours which is some 50% larger than the current average family size of just under 4 members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Chevy Suburban. Hands down.

Not only will you be hauling your four kids around, you'll be hauling their friends, dogs, groceries, sports gear, duffle bags, you name it and a Suburban has room for it all.

Plus, it's one of the safer vehicles around, always a plus.

We had one while our kids were growing up. Great car.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Remember that because of air bags, you can't have a child sit in the front seat of your vehicle.

A child safety seat, properly installed, takes up more room than an adult in the seats.

You will need either a mini-van or SUV type vehicle.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
It's been said a few times, but I'll say it again. Ford Flex!

We have two in our family that are carbon copies of one another. They're 2010 Ford Flex Limiteds w/ Ecoboost that are equipped with just about all the toys Ford offered (heated seats, nav, DVD players in the headrests, fridge in the back, etc) . One is my Dad's which he's had since brand new (bought in 2011 as a leftover) and the other is my family vehicle that we bought used last Memorial Day. His has 75K problem-free miles, which says something because my Dad is notoriously rough on vehicles. Ours is barely broken in at just over 32K.

Why do we like them? Well, for starters, they're just about the only multi-passenger vehicle that isn't a 'soccer mom' minivan or a SUV. Yes, Ford and everyone else calls it a SUV (crossover), but that's because 'wagon' has become such a taboo word in the US. As has been mentioned, it's really just an elongated Taurus with a different skin, so it drives and handles like a car (as opposed to the new Explorer, which is built on the same chassis but sits unnecessarily high). That was a big selling point for my wife because she isn't comfortable driving large/tall vehicles.

Second, while my Dad had a Suburban when we were growing up (great car, btw), he and I have both come to the same conclusion that you can can haul as many people in just as much comfort in the Flex. And I'm not talking tiny people. My dad is 6'6", I'm 6'7", and I can sit behind him with my wife (5'7") in the 3rd behind me and no one has their knees in anyone else's seat or is driving with the wheel in their lap. That's saying something. The Flex's trick is having middle seats that can slide back and forth (much like the front seats), which allows a lot more adjustability to give everyone the room they need. It should be noted, though, that Flexes equipped with a bench seat in the 2nd row don't have the same adjustability. So, with the seating configurations our Flexes have, we can COMFORTABLY fit 6 full-size adults. I'd say anyone under 6' should fit the 3rd row just fine. Where you lose out vs a full-size SUV (like the Suburban) is cargo space behind the 3rd row. It'll fit the stroller and the diaper bag, but not much else.

But that's why the Flex is a practical family car. Still not better than a minivan in that regard. Why do I LOVE the Flex? Because it's actually a really fun car to drive, which is something that cannot be said for any minivan I've encountered. For starters, the Ecoboost model is putting out about 350HP/365tq. Needless to say, it catches a lot of folks off-guard. But it also handles very well, in large part thanks to the AWD (optional, but standard in Ecoboost models) and some pretty decent suspension and steering. I'm not saying I'm going to take it around a road circuit anytime soon, but it has a very engaged feeling when you drive it. People think I'm crazy for saying this, but it honestly reminds me of my 04 GTO when I drive it. It has about the same power, the same 'I'm a big vehicle but I can still handle myself' feel when you drive it, and is a great Grand Touring vehicle overall.

I'm not sure what price range you're looking for, but the Flex ranges quite a bit. Brand new, I think they start in the mid-20s but can go as high as the low 50s. FWIW, ours stickered at $48,500, but when we bought it used last year with 29K on the odometer, we only paid $26,500. Granted, it took a few months of searching to find one spec'd EXACTLY how I wanted it with that good of a price, but the point is they're very reasonably priced. Base models are into the mid to upper teens at this point.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 12-11-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
I have a large four door sedan, my son has a large SUV, and two others in the family have minivans. Sorry, but hands down the most practical vehicles for a large family are the minivans. More space, flexibility, features, ease of use.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,638 times
I didn't realize people still vilified minivans. I find it easier the SUV's that "image-conscious" people buy for their brood, when a comparable minivan would be cheaper, more fuel efficient, and more practical in almost every way (and you're so totally not going off-road anyway). I think the OP should consider how much image matters, as a mom/dad of soon-to-be four kids, and compare that to the safety and practical transportation needs of said brood.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,279 times
We got a Chevy Traverse AWD (same as the Acadia and the Enclave). The thing is huge, and it plows through snow like its not even there. Easily hauls 7, and could haul 8 if you didn't get the buckets in the second row like we have. Drives like a car.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
I think what's at work here is the problem of a person thinking the car they own has some bearing on their image and the degree of coolness they want to project.

In this case it's the perceived negative image of a type of car, while in other threads around here we see people affixing positive associations to "cool" cars or asking whether certain models are "girl" cars.

A car is something most of us have to have, but pay too much attention to how it looks, how it makes you look, or whether it's "fun" and you are sure to either spend more than you have to or forgo options that are better suited to your actual needs.

And for the OP, there is no vehicle that will meet your needs better than a minivan.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Minivan is not that bad? No, it is GREAT!!! Let me count the ways:

1-Minivan is designed with safety as #1 goal to protect you and the kids.
2-Insurance is cheapest for minivan. It is typically not target by thieves.
3-Police tend to overlook speeding minivans
4-Roomiest cabin and very comfortable in 2nd/3rd row for extended trips.
5-Fold down the third row and you have a cavernous trunk so you can buy furniture, 70" TV's, etc
6-Sliding doors. You will love them getting kids in and out and in tight spaces.

I love mine and will replace it with another in another 5 years.
Since he said he didn't want a mini-van, I didn't suggest it; however, I will comment on your post.

If you are hauling around a family, mini-vans are the bomb.

People who refuse to consider a mini-van are the same ones who refuse to use a fork for their fried rice at an Asian restaurant. Sure, eating the fried rice with a fork is easier and generally more pleasant, but you certainly don't want to lose your "cool factor" by putting down the chop sticks.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 287,974 times
Toyota innova would be a great option!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive