Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times

Advertisements

GM has hired it's first woman CEO, Mary Barra. My impression is that women in general do not have the same passion for cars as men. IMHO, men understand the legacy of the car, how it relates to the American Dream, and the sense of style that allures buyers. Do you think this is just a stereotype? But, then GM has made very few beautiful cars over the last several years anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,731,303 times
yes its a stereotype, its called being sexist. i dont see any issue with a woman running GM, there are bad CEOs and very good CEOs that demand much from their engineers, we will see if she can walk the walk.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
I think... It could be a good move for GM. As you mention, women do not have the "same" passion for cars as men do. It doesn't mean they don't have passion for cars, I know lots of women that do, but they tend to value some things and look at things differently than men do. As far as style goes, think about how the average man dresses. We're not exactly great at style ourselves.

I think her input could be very valuable to GM... or it could crash and burn tremendously, LOL

Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
I think it's a good move.

If she can influence the company to be more in tune with what women want and need in a vehicle.....that would translate into increased sales.

Women Make 80% of Automotive Purchase Decisions » AutoGuide.com News

Quote:

Who knew that women had so much influence when it comes to buying the
family car? In fact, women have almost 80 percent of the purchase decision power
– that’s a pretty impressive number.

The Heels & Wheels website (the site focuses on real world testing
specifically by women) has some interesting numbers regarding women and their
automotive purchasing influence. In addition to the figure stated above, women
also make 62 percent of new car purchases and have over $5 trillion in
purchasing power. And when the car breaks down, women make 65 to 80 percent of
the service and maintenance decisions.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
She seems like she's got some "gasoline in her blood" with her fondness for Camaros and test driving cars on the track and has proven herself in her 33 years at the company at various positions. We have many women engineers and designers to thank for dramatically improving interiors in nearly all marques in the last couple of decades (I will probably be labeled sexist for that comment but I believe it to be true, and appreciate it- and not that women engineers haven't also contributed in other areas of car design).

Running a car company is very different from designing engines or racing cars so there certainly is no reason why she couldn't succeed at it as well or better than a similarly qualified man. I used to hate all things GM and the last few years Cadillac has made huge strides, all GM interiors are much better and the new SS looks like a mighty fine car as well; she has had a great deal of input in these areas so I wish her "Good Luck and prove yourself even more".

Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
GM has hired it's first woman CEO, Mary Barra. My impression is that women in general do not have the same passion for cars as men. IMHO, men understand the legacy of the car, how it relates to the American Dream, and the sense of style that allures buyers. Do you think this is just a stereotype? But, then GM has made very few beautiful cars over the last several years anyway.

Car companies had to adjust because women can and do make family decisions on the vehicle these days. And they have for quite a while. Since the 90s women have been the ones who really make the purchasing decisions in the household. Personally I don't much care who my leader would be as long as they are a leader. Women can do just as good of a job as men can. Read up on this lady before you dismiss her as just a know nothing woman.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
Her job as very little to do with having a passion for cars.

She operates a huge company. Her job concerns strategy and decision making. She doesn't need to know the spec of every Corvetter. She needs to be an effective leader who makes sound decisions.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
It will be Yahoo's Carol Bartz all over again.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
She wasn't hired. She was promoted from within. Being with the company 33 years suggests she has more than a passing interest in cars.

CEOs often move from one company to another. A business is a business, and they all need to turn a profit. A good CEO will use what they know, recognize what they don't, and properly manage those have the rest of the info. With that in mind, though I believe she is somewhat more a car person than Joe Average, she doesn't need to be an automotive wizard or brilliant visionary to make her new position a success.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
yes its a stereotype, its called being sexist.
Yeah, no kidding! Why would you (OP) think women can't share a passion for cars, or that men have some sort of innate "appreciation" for the history of the automobile? Not many still-living Americans were around when the first car came rolling off the assembly line, so it's not like a man is any more likely to have that strong connection. And people wonder why I say women aren't regarded the same in auto-related businesses/hobbies? Sheesh.

But like a few others have said, her position is more about being a good businessperson - which a woman is perfectly capable of being, regardless of the specific industry. Although, if she weren't at least somewhat passionate about cars, why would she have been in this business for so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive