Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

For chrissakes. She doesn't want to keep the Accord. Can't you people read??????

Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
You're trying to tell me that people will actually buy your 250k+ trucks?
You would be surprised what people are willing to pay for a well maintained utility truck.Why not? I maintain them, usually rebuild the motor and transmission, go through the suspension and do brakes rotors bushings, ball joints calipers shocks etc. The interiors are not beat to crap and the exterior in some cases I repaint. I usually throw air bags on the back for the heavier loads also. A brand new utility truck runs about 40k. I sell mine for about 3k.
My personal truck is a 1999 superduty diesel has 154k and looks brand new. Inside and out. I have people offering me 10-12 k if I ever want to sell it. I have every maintenance record since new. I would drive that truck cross county tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
For chrissakes. She doesn't want to keep the Accord. Can't you people read??????

Then she should go buy a new car or a used certified car. Be a debt slave forever.. Sounded to me like she was asking for advice but she can do as she pleases. If some fool is willing to offer her $5800 for a 8 year old car with a blown clutch and what over else she needs to jump on that deal.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,306 times
OP - Glad you were able to sell so quickly! I actually did the same thing a few months ago. I had a 2001 Audi A4 that needed some work done: a timing belt, control arms, and a few odds and ends to pass emissions. I ended up selling it for $2k on Craigslist. I had 20 e-mails within 30 minutes of listing it. I probably should have pulled it down and relisted it at a higher price bus decided against that. It was kind of like your situation where I didn't want to stick any more money into it just to turn around and sell it. It was an extra car for me anyways. It was a nice car to sell at that price, but I didn't want whoever bought it to feel like I screwed them once they started adding all of the repairs up and paying for them. On that car, the timing belt job is at least $1000, control arms would have been about $500 just for the parts, and the emissions parts would have been about $300 - so $1800 minimum doing most of the work yourself. Like you, I just wanted it gone with minimal headaches. It sounds like you got what you wanted out of the deal and that's really all that matters. Enjoy your new ride, whatever you end up getting!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I know, right?! I'll second your and raise you a .

And for the person who suggested putting it on "your credit card," guess what? I'm one of those rare Americans who has NO credit cards, outside of one in my mother's name with about $400 for emergencies. Maybe that's why most folks can throw money into fixing cars, because they live in debt? I prefer to live within my means, and for the last friggin' time, my means only allow for monthly payments - NOT a bunch of cash up-front to fix an 8yo car.

That being said, I have not actually sold the Honda quite yet... I'm gonna re-list it probably tomorrow, when I'm at work (in the neighborhood where it's stranded) and can use a colleague to back me up. I'm not a sucker or a pushover, either, so don't worry about me getting screwed. I am a 37 year-old woman who's never been married, and has lived on my own since age 17; so I know how to handle myself.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right?! I'll second your and raise you a .

And for the person who suggested putting it on "your credit card," guess what? I'm one of those rare Americans who has NO credit cards, outside of one in my mother's name with about $400 for emergencies. Maybe that's why most folks can throw money into fixing cars, because they live in debt? I prefer to live within my means, and for the last friggin' time, my means only allow for monthly payments - NOT a bunch of cash up-front to fix an 8yo car.

That being said, I have not actually sold the Honda quite yet... I'm gonna re-list it probably tomorrow, when I'm at work (in the neighborhood where it's stranded) and can use a colleague to back me up. I'm not a sucker or a pushover, either, so don't worry about me getting screwed. I am a 37 year-old woman who's never been married, and has lived on my own since age 17; so I know how to handle myself.
So then... You're fixing it and keeping it, right?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
So then... You're fixing it and keeping it, right?
LOL. Not unless you guys wanna take up a collection, and send me that $2000-3000 I need!

Honestly, I've had this car longer than I have EVER kept a car, so had been planning to sell it for about a year now. I simply made the dumb mistake of waiting until it "died," which lost me a bit of resale value. But since I'd already mentally "divorced" the Honda, this blown clutch was the final push I needed to sell. I'm not thrilled about taking on car payments, but that's easier for me than coming up with thousands of dollars today... and I just got a raise at work, so starting next month the salary difference will more than cover the payments. It was fate, I guess!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right?! I prefer to live within my means, and for the last friggin' time, my means only allow for monthly payments - NOT a bunch of cash up-front to fix an 8yo car.
If you can only buy a car by taking a loan and making payments, then you're not living within your means......

and it seems a bit hypocritical to make that statement after you say that other people "live in debt."

You will be living in debt once you take out a car loan.

Am I missing something?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
If you can only buy a car by taking a loan and making payments, then you're not living within your means......

and it seems a bit hypocritical to make that statement after you say that other people "live in debt."

You will be living in debt once you take out a car loan.

Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing the fact that I can afford an extra $200 (or so) in my monthly budget, while coming up with $2000+ asap would require begging, borrowing, and stealing - okay, so maybe not stealing, but you get my drift.

And I don't see making payments on a car as "living in debt," because I'm paying into something that I will own - kind of like paying a mortgage vs paying rent. It's also not living outside of my means, because again, that extra $200ish is currently within my means. There are more pieces to this puzzle, too, which I've been trying desperately to avoid explaining... but you all just can't drop it, can you?

I think it's time to ask the mods to close this thread, since only a few people actually gave me the advice I was seeking; and now that I know what to do, there is no point in continuing this discussion.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you buy only new or CPO you are paying too much. Do you have a friend who actually knows cars? You can find some good rigs out there for $5K or less *if* you know what you are looking at.

One place to start is the Consumer Reports recommended and "to avoid" used car lists.
Oh yeah, and this is the other option I have considered - using the cash from my Honda's sale to buy something OUTRIGHT that's in better condition. I do have some car-savvy friends, including a certified mechanic and someone in the auto dealership business. So I might hold off until speaking with them, and asking if they can assist me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive