Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
Reading this forum, reinforces what I already know - that there are ppl with borderline personality disorders who are perhaps true sociopaths who for whatever reason won't follow certain rules unless imposed on them. It's encouraging that it seems to be only a couple arguing their distorted, selfish, and passive-aggressive viewpoints here.
I don't know why you people get so angry when people get in the way when you are trying to speed.

I suggest starting to leave early so you are not in a hurry all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:59 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't know why you people get so angry when people get in the way when you are trying to speed.

If you were walking on a sidewalk, and a group of people were deliberately walking side by side at a snail's pace so that you could not walk past, wouldn't you find it a bit rude and inconsiderate.

The signs here say "keep right except to pass," not "keep left," not "keep middle," but "keep right."

This is the law on the matter in Maine, Massachusetts, and a slew of other states: you are not allowed to drive in any other lane but the far right, unless you are passing someone or about to take a left turn or exit, and they do ticket for it. It doesn't matter if there are two lanes, or twenty, you're not allowed to move out of the right lane except to pass or turn.

I'm no speed demon. If the limit is 65, I'm the one cruising at 63, and lane hogs annoy me too. Why? Because the vast majority of them aren't doing "the speed limit" like you seem to think; they're poking along on a busy Interstate at 45 or 50 miles an hour, often distracted by a cell phone, iPod, make-up, and other such nonsense. Their behavior is not an example of safety, it's an example of stupidity!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

It is incredibly dangerous and inconsiderate to do that.

Cars can go fast easily but slowing down is not as easy. People who change lanes and not going faster than the on-coming traffic causes most of the traffic accidents on the highway.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
I think the real issues lies on whether the folks who insist the left lane is not for cruising are using that lane for speeds higher than the speed limit.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think the real issues lies on whether the folks who insist the left lane is not for cruising are using that lane for speeds higher than the speed limit.
I do not think so.

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/le...6b53444eb1.jpg

Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
The left lane has been the passing lane on all two-lane interstate highways for several decades, and there are signs posted to that effect throughout the country.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Including passing at excess of legal speeds?

Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No, the real issue is that consistent lane discipline improves safety and traffic flow for everyone whether anyone is speeding or not.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
^ if someone feels the need to be a complete douchebag and block the left lane while going 55 mph, it will just **** me and many other people off who use it how it is supposed to be used. I will just pass them on the right while probably going a lot faster than I would be if I was passing in the left

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
An interesting point to expand on is if motorists should be acting in a kind of "unofficial police capacity" to slow down the idiots who feel the need to speed. I used to think not but after lots of thought while driving hundreds of thousands of miles, I feel the answer is yes. There are only so many law enforcement people out on the roads, and usually you see a group of suddenly law abiding folks driving right along with any cop. The smarter racers usually do not speed if they see a cop with radar sitting there watching. But the reckless behavior takes over whenever some types of people feel there is no restrictions on their habits. So I do feel a strong respect for those who drive in the left lane at the speed limit, slowing down the idiots who are tailgating, slavering, and drooling right behind them. The exception being for emergency vehicle of course.

There needs to be a social consciousness on the part of drivers to patrol the highways and try to encourage better driving, to slow down and trip up those who insist on speeding, the same way that people in a neighborhood might watch out for each other and try to deter criminal behavior. Remember that the idiots who drive in excess on the highway and demand that you do what they want, are usually the same ones who never let you over to get around a slower vehicle, and the same types that, when you put your signal on, speed up to keep you from merging.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

First off, speed limits should never be the determining factor as to what speed everyone should follow. In general, people reach a speed which is safe (often called the natural flow of traffic) and which is also often slightly over the arbitrary set limit. Drivers only slow down around police to avoid the obvious (tickets) but this doesn't mean that the speed limit is somehow the perfect standard everyone should adhere to.

Second, it's baffling to hear your line of reasoning. Your words referencing those who drive in the left lane at the limit, "Slowing down the idiots who are tailgating right behind them." You really think you're slowing down the behind people you? If I have the opportunity, I move over to the right lane and pass, which is not ideal and extremely frustrating, but clearly, it doesn't stop me from "speeding". If I can't pass, it often creates a chain of cars tailgating in the left lane WHICH IS EVEN MORE DANGEROUS. I tend to never tailgate, but I hate getting behind someone in the left lane and then being tailgated by people behind me. It's idiotic to stop speeders and tailgaters from passing on the left when your behavior only spurs frustrated drivers making reckless decisions and often SPEEDING FASTER than what they were already going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive