Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 AM

689 posts, read 706,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How exactly am I supposed to know what you do before you post it? However, you can be blocking others who want to pass you faster than you are going. I disagree that it is impossible to set your cruise in the right lane. I do it often. You just have to pass other people sometimes, and then get back over.

I'm not sure what your second paragraph is supposed top prove, but if all that makes you feel good, have at it.

I guess I don't understand your point of reference here? If I'm traveling in the left lane at a steady speed, and that steady speed is FASTER than anyone in the right lane; then I can't be "blocking" traffic because spaces would open up on the right side of me as I pass the line of cars.

Usually when someone crawls up my bumper while I'm cruising in the left lane I will move over to let them by then resume my position, as I'm a FIRM BELIEVER in speeding.

However, if you drive up my butt and I move over for you to pass, then YOU'D BETTER PASS! Conversely, if I'm barreling down the left lane passing everyone in sight, you'd better NOT pull in front of me from the right lane and SLOW DOWN!

The picture I got in my mind when I first read this thread, was someone cruising along in the left lane that is PACING the slower traffic on his right and blocking all passing opportunities. Drivers who do this invite me to TAILGATE them, and when I tailgate I move up close enough that I am unable to see their rear tail lights out my windshield, and they no longer can see my front grill or headlights in their rear-view mirror; what they do see is my "crazed facial expression" and cute "hand gesture!"

If that doesn't work after a few miles, then I take advantage of the shoulder lane and we won't discuss what happens when I get in front of them after that except that I am pretty good at removing them from the left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,468,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
I guess I don't understand your point of reference here? If I'm traveling in the left lane at a steady speed, and that steady speed is FASTER than anyone in the right lane; then I can't be "blocking" traffic because spaces would open up on the right side of me as I pass the line of cars.

Usually when someone crawls up my bumper while I'm cruising in the left lane I will move over to let them by then resume my position, as I'm a FIRM BELIEVER in speeding.

However, if you drive up my butt and I move over for you to pass, then YOU'D BETTER PASS! Conversely, if I'm barreling down the left lane passing everyone in sight, you'd better NOT pull in front of me from the right lane and SLOW DOWN!

The picture I got in my mind when I first read this thread, was someone cruising along in the left lane that is PACING the slower traffic on his right and blocking all passing opportunities. Drivers who do this invite me to TAILGATE them, and when I tailgate I move up close enough that I am unable to see their rear tail lights out my windshield, and they no longer can see my front grill or headlights in their rear-view mirror; what they do see is my "crazed facial expression" and cute "hand gesture!"

If that doesn't work after a few miles, then I take advantage of the shoulder lane and we won't discuss what happens when I get in front of them after that except that I am pretty good at removing them from the left lane.
I bet you REALLY show them when youre on your period.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,730,225 times
Quote:
Exactly how can I be "blocking others" while cruising in the left lane if I'm traveling 10-15 MPH ABOVE the posted speed limit? It is impossible to set my Cruise Control at 75 MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit zone and cruise in the right lane or middle lanes. Only the left lane offers this opportunity most of the time.

You're talking to a guy who passes up ambulances and firetrucks with their lights and sirens going on the freeway, drives through the wake of snow plows during snow storms, and doesn't slow down for curves, no matter how sharp, anywhere on the freeway system. I've mastered all the curves without slowing down while holding my lane.

People don't usually like riding with me though, something about being tossed around against the door, etc.
Quote:
Yes I really do drive that way and have since 1978. I've had no chargeable accidents even though I also drive professionally for a living. I also find it sad that our emergency vehicles can't exceed the speed limits more on the freeways. The cops sure do. I've been cruising along at close to 80 MPH in a 65 Zone when a cop has passed me by at what seems to be well over 90+ MPH. I can't understand why our other emergency vehicles can't do that?

I don't consider myself a "race car driver" even though I always buy vehicles with V8 engines, sport suspensions, and put police rated or low profile "Z-rated" tires on them. I also drive my 1-ton quad-cab long box 4x4 the same way and I have to say it handles the sharp curves as well as my car does. This ability comes in handy as I am also a Storm Chaser, and I have no problems flirting with 120+ MPH to escape a tornado bearing down on me.

The reason I drive this way is not to go fast, but because I'm always on a time limit and I procrastinate to the very last minute. I've got everything worked out to a "T". Even back when I was in High School, I lived two miles from the school and classes started at 8:20 am. I had my alarm clock set for 8:00 am and I always made it into the class room at the very second the bell was ringing.

To accomplish this I would spring out of bed, skip breakfast, throw on my clothes, race down to my car, drive 50 MPH through the city streets, whip into the parking lot and run full bore through the school hallways into class. These days I can't figure out where all that energy came from.

My goal is not driving fast, but rather spending the least amount of time possible in getting to my destination. There was a time when I was younger when I considered getting my pilot's license so I could fly everywhere instead, but gave it up as I felt flying was too dangerous. I might crash.
Quote:

Shaddap

Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 AM

16,549 posts, read 17,317,336 times
Has anyone ever been overtaken by a police car doing around 140 mph?

I have.

One reason why we are taught to keep out of the left hand lane (actually it's the right hand lane here ) unless overtaking.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 AM

414 posts, read 924,444 times
Exclamation Reckless driving isn't cool

Quote:

Very interesting. I actually encountered a "firm believer in speeding" type person yesterday morning driving behind my sportscar.

She was truly a "B" on 4 wheels...I'd guess she has some major emotional / psychological issues...Maybe she's recently divorced...Who knows? Now this female was driving one of those older Toyota Camry Solara's ...is it a wee bit more sporty looking than your garden variety boring Camry's? I guess...

This crazy woman seemed to have an odd fixation with following behind me, even after I switched lanes...guess she thought "Hmm...he's driving a sportscar, he'll drive like a bat out of hell, just like me!"

In interest of NOT getting into an accident and getting away from this lunatic, I maneuvered in front of other traffic, causing her to get temporarily boxed in. This was a short reprieve though, as she went "Mad Max" on all cars who opposed her!! Within a couple of minutes, she was behind me again.

This time she really punched it...I accelerated, signaled and jumped into another lane. Then, a magic moment happened! She was doing about 90+ mph when she saw a State Trooper and tried to brake and slow down.

Opps! Too late, crazy lady! The trooper caught her and I LMAO all the rest of the way to work.

Doctor Z, I'll guess you're driving a Nissan Z, BMW Z3 or Z4, maybe a Corvette ZR-1. Driving a sportscar does NOT give you a license to drive like an a-hole, just because you are faster and more maneuverable than other cars....Just sayin'.

With the way you tailgate, you'll find yourself facing a frontal collision with all airbags deployed...or maybe you'll end up as another highway casualty. You might even take the life of someone else besides yourself.

You REALLY need to re-evaluate your driving habits and work on your time management, if you have to speed like this ALL of the time.

I used to drive a Nissan 350Z, but I never ended up like this:

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 04-22-2014 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,248,233 times
Quote:

And what do you do when they suddenly decide to hammer their brakes? Some of those folks would be more than happy for you to rear end them.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM

9,123 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Quote:

I was with you right up until the egregious tailgating part. Back when I was 18-21, maybe I would do something like that. Now, I realize just how dangerous that is to me also. Though when conditions warrant, I will move to the right lane, but if I am continually passing people, that is definitely not cruising. If I am going 78 or 80 in a 70 and someone wants to go 90, I will happily move over as soon as can for them.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,941,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Wow, I'm definitely against slow left lane drivers but wow that's not cool. Following way too close, then using the lights just to force the guy over but not actually doing anything about it. If that's from a state with a weak left lane law, at least pull the dude over and tell him why you are doing it (impeding traffic or whatever). Kind of a Dbag move all around.
That was a NJ State Trooper in that video. NJ definitely has a "keep right, pass left" law. I knew people who got those tickets. I lived in NJ for many years. Although I never saw a trooper do what the one in the video did, I frequently would see them intimidate drivers in the left lane to move over by riding their bumpers. I less frequently would see them flip their lights on and off to clear slowpokes out of the left lane.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,387,903 times
Quote:

What makes you think they are not going to follow you and get back at you?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:45 PM

67 posts, read 84,106 times
If no cars or police are around, I'll go in the 2 left lanes because pavement is much better than the other ones. So I can see the point that the troll makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive