Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times

Advertisements

I hate it when some people act as you've committed some sin if you floor your car on a regular basis.

It won't do any damage, in fact it has some benefits. The only thing to make sure is that oil & coolant are fresh and at good levels. And most importantly that your car has reached operating temp.

Cars were designed to be running at their limit.

I'd imagine some granny cars will run like crap if they have not seen the other side of 4000rpm in their entire lifetime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I hate it when some people act as you've committed some sin if you floor your car on a regular basis.

It won't do any damage, in fact it has some benefits. The only thing to make sure is that oil & coolant are fresh and at good levels. And most importantly that your car has reached operating temp.

I'd imagine some granny cars will run like crap if they have not seen the other side of 4000rpm in their entire lifetime
Are you saying that cars are designed to run at their limit 100% of the time?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:

cars are engineered to deal with the pressures put on the parts including the engine, however, flooring it all the time will mean keeping it up to maintenance and putting faith in the parts and engineering of the car.

it will put more wear and tear on the parts of the vehicle, however the engineering design was built to with stand those pressures.

if you mod the car in any way it will drastically put more pressure on the engine and all the stock parts, forced induction engines are known to have a shorter life span.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:

Remind me to never buy a used car from you.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

bad advice here my friend. while automobiles are designed to handle extremes in its performance envelope, from the production line they are NOT designed to handle those extremes all the time. a properly driven and maintained vehicle will last a long time, but one driven like your favorite race car driver is behind the wheel doing his regular job, even with proper maintenance, it not going to last as long as it should.

bearing wear is accelerated, and not just engine bearings either, but those in the transmission, differential, wheels. also note that while engines today make more power than similar engines did 20 years ago, drive train components are generally built lighter than they were 20 years ago for improved fuel economy, and thus cant take the pounding they could 20 years ago. if you want to launch from a stop like john force in his company car, thats your business, but dont go around telling people that it is good for the car to do it all the time because in point of fact it isnt.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
My Buick LeSabre operates at 1700 rpm at 70 mph most of the time. Every once in a while I will use full power entering the expressway just to heat up the combustion to clear off any carbon deposits. I'll do the same with my Subie Wagon just because spinning all four wheels coming out of a snow covered corner on a back road is so much fun.

I had a Buick Station Wagon that would launch like a catapult. I used to regularly shut down rice rockets at stop lights with the old beast. A friend was in the passenger seat watching the guy next to me really trying and said, "You've been shut down by Santa Clause."

Old 12-15-2013, 07:02 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
.....if you floor your car on a regular basis.

It won't do any damage, in fact it has some benefits.

And visit your mechanic on regular basis right?

If you mean flooring by just quickly adjust to speed then I understand but if you really mean "floor" your gas pedal bad advice. And let me understand - what can you gain by doing so? You said something about "benefits" Let us know what they are.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
bad advice here my friend. while automobiles are designed to handle extremes in its performance envelope, from the production line they are NOT designed to handle those extremes all the time. a properly driven and maintained vehicle will last a long time, but one driven like your favorite race car driver is behind the wheel doing his regular job, even with proper maintenance, it not going to last as long as it should.

bearing wear is accelerated, and not just engine bearings either, but those in the transmission, differential, wheels. also note that while engines today make more power than similar engines did 20 years ago, drive train components are generally built lighter than they were 20 years ago for improved fuel economy, and thus cant take the pounding they could 20 years ago. if you want to launch from a stop like john force in his company car, thats your business, but dont go around telling people that it is good for the car to do it all the time because in point of fact it isnt.
i doubt the op meant constant non-stop acceleration. yes in that regard if you were to drive it "hard" all the time 24/7, which is impossible on public roads to being with, then it would put those parts in greater performance pressures.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Regularly reaching 8000 RPM in my NSX is most certainly good for my mental health. I know the engine is designed for it. Since I maintain the car, I know it is in top mechanical condition. And since the engine has a reputation for long term reliability I am not worried one bit by hitting redline.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
1. you can NOT floor car all the time due to traffic, roads, turns etc. Police included. You can do short bursts only.
2. Any more or less modern vehicle will cut engine off to more or less reasonable RPMs anyway.
3. To OP's point. NEW cars should be driven with fast accelerations and in aggressive manner, to simply set piston rings into cylinder walls. If this is not done and new car owner keeps driving like Grandma Moses, engine will end up having rings blow by burn out.
4. Carbon deposits. They have to be BURNT out, and you do not get that by driving lame. Same piston rings, exhaust and, likely most important, cat.
So truly, rip her once in a while on regular basis, more or less, as conditions permit. CL's "grandmother's car" are caution to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive