Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Pontiac had many great years, but '65 is my favorite for the full-size line. Do you have any pictures?

I'm embarrassed the shape the body is in at the moment. But that said it was in a junkyard for 20+ years! I built the 421 from a 66 389 block by cutting the mains down to 3" from 3 1/4", and boring the block .060 (.030" over a stock 421 bore). Venolia pistons and lightweight pins, 3mm Gapless Total Seal rings, stock length 3d rods from Crower, I have the Roland Racing CV-1 heads on it, a hyd. roller custom ground to my specs, 400th trans, factory posi with 3.42 gears. Engine made 733hp on just a 800 dp carb and e85, even tho I only have 10 to 1 compression. Right now it's 4 colors, but will be the original Maroon when I can get the body work taken care of. Still looking for some good used body parts for it that won't cost and arm and leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 03:40 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I'm embarrassed the shape the body is in at the moment. But that said it was in a junkyard for 20+ years! I built the 421 from a 66 389 block by cutting the mains down to 3" from 3 1/4", and boring the block .060 (.030" over a stock 421 bore). Venolia pistons and lightweight pins, 3mm Gapless Total Seal rings, stock length 3d rods from Crower, I have the Roland Racing CV-1 heads on it, a hyd. roller custom ground to my specs, 400th trans, factory posi with 3.42 gears. Engine made 733hp on just a 800 dp carb and e85, even tho I only have 10 to 1 compression. Right now it's 4 colors, but will be the original Maroon when I can get the body work taken care of. Still looking for some good used body parts for it that won't cost and arm and leg.
I understand, but we both know how awesome it looked brand new. Good for you for having a plan to get it back that way.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
I'll take my 421 powered 65 2+2 Catalina over ANY vehicle made today! I even embarrassed a new vette with it a couple weeks ago. And he told me that his 427 LS engine made power. Not enough! LOL I give him the mpg thing tho, but he can keep that thing and I'll keep my quicker 2+2. Plus the 2+2 you can have passengers while out running the vette.
I don't blame, you. I, too, would rather own a '65 2+2 421 Catalina over any new car.

Here is a rare article and test of a '66:

Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
A lot of hip and trendy types who have no clue about the excitement of the greatest era

Like it or not the old car hobby has been stagnant and even dying to a degree. The younger generation is not really going to pick up the torch.

When one starts looking at the big picture it’s pretty scary.

1. Wage growth is stagnant and losing to inflation
2. Fuel no longer cost 25 cents a gallon and no matter how many more holes we plug into the ground it never will be cheap again.
3. A number of young people are saddled up to their eyeballs in student loan debt.
4. Young people are not getting licenses like they use to.
5. A number of teenage boys don't grow up to be manly men anymore. They only care about shoes, phones and clothes
6. Baby boomers won’t get out of the way. Please move to Florida and buy one of those stupid golf carts!!

So go ahead and give that young person grief for driving a Civic or a new Mustang at least they’re doing something.

I rather have a traditional hot rod roadster with a proper flathead. Muscle cars don’t do anything for me.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I don't blame, you. I, too, would rather own a '65 2+2 421 Catalina over any new car.

Here is a rare article and test of a '66:

Thanks, Fleet - good stuff.

But the '66 is a 7 to the '65's 10+. Just my humble opinion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1965...2F%3B720%3B540

Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM

More pics of the '65

65 2+2

Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Fleet - good stuff.

But the '66 is a 7 to the '65's 10+. Just my humble opinion.
Glad you liked the article.

I'm not too familiar with that model. I would probably prefer a '65 to a '66. But I probably would enjoy driving a '66, also!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM

269 posts, read 534,741 times
Quote:
I'll take my 421 powered 65 2+2 Catalina over ANY vehicle made today! I even embarrassed a new vette with it a couple weeks ago. And he told me that his 427 LS engine made power. Not enough! LOL I give him the mpg thing tho, but he can keep that thing and I'll keep my quicker 2+2. Plus the 2+2 you can have passengers while out running the vette.
I have to waive the BS flag here. I've had 65 GTO and currently 427 Vette. I like the old Pontiac engines as much as anyone but this is laughable.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Like it or not the old car hobby has been stagnant and even dying to a degree. The younger generation is not really going to pick up the torch.
I see no indications of that. When I stop at the weekly car show, there are plenty of young people admiring the classic cars. My 21-year-old Niece told me she would someday like to own a classic car. And I sold my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP to a person whose young Nephew spent 2 days washing the car and doing some maintenance on. He said his Nephew loves classic cars.

Quote:
When one starts looking at the big picture it’s pretty scary.

1. Wage growth is stagnant and losing to inflation
2. Fuel no longer cost 25 cents a gallon and no matter how many more holes we plug into the ground it never will be cheap again.
3. A number of young people are saddled up to their eyeballs in student loan debt.
4. Young people are not getting licenses like they use to.
5. A number of teenage boys don't grow up to be manly men anymore. They only care about shoes, phones and clothes
That is true. It is harder for young people to buy a classic car these days. But it doesn't mean they are not interested in them.

Quote:
6. Baby boomers won’t get out of the way. Please move to Florida and buy one of those stupid golf carts!!
I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I am a baby boomer and have driven my '95 Lincoln Town Car (a supposedly "old-man's car") at 90 mph. And my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood at 100 mph.

Quote:
I rather have a traditional hot rod roadster with a proper flathead. Muscle cars don’t do anything for me.
Interesting. Because a muscle car has the advantages of a traditional hot rod (power, for example) yet it easier to live with, since most had available A/C, along with power steering/brakes/windows/seats and, if you wanted it, a comfy bench seat and sizable trunk space.

BTW, in general, an OHV engine produces more horsepower than a flathead.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I see no indications of that. When I stop at the weekly car show, there are plenty of young people admiring the classic cars. My 21-year-old Niece told me she would someday like to own a classic car. And I sold my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP to a person whose young Nephew spent 2 days washing the car and doing some maintenance on. He said his Nephew loves classic cars.

That is true. It is harder for young people to buy a classic car these days. But it doesn't mean they are not interested in them.

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. I am a baby boomer and have driven my '95 Lincoln Town Car (a supposedly "old-man's car") at 90 mph. And my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood at 100 mph.

Interesting. Because a muscle car has the advantages of a traditional hot rod (power, for example) yet it easier to live with, since most had available A/C, along with power steering/brakes/windows/seats and, if you wanted it, a comfy bench seat and sizable trunk space.

BTW, in general, an OHV engine produces more horsepower than a flathead.
He isn't either, Fleet. He's just trying his best to get on 10 more ignore lists by midnight tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive