Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

4 seconds on a busy highway is kind of ridiculous. People are just going to change into your lane all the time and you'd just have to drop yourself back some more. Not the way it works out. We have 3 main highways running west <--> east across the island here (population 7.5 million) and only 1 of them would you probably follow a 2-4 second spacing and never during rush hour.

Some people complain about "being cut off" or "tailgaiting". Around here, unless someone actually makes you hit your brakes hard, they're not cutting you off. Unless you can't see the person's headlights behind you, it's not tailgaiting either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I'm at least 6-7 seconds. You never know. I believe in defensive driving.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
This will tend to get those pesky tailgaters off you back ! I want one.

Don

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Does anybody still use the two second following distance rule anymore? Is this really enough space to avoid a high speed collision?
What's that? I do FOUR.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
4 seconds on a busy highway is kind of ridiculous. People are just going to change into your lane all the time and you'd just have to drop yourself back some more. Not the way it works out. We have 3 main highways running west <--> east across the island here (population 7.5 million) and only 1 of them would you probably follow a 2-4 second spacing and never during rush hour.

Some people complain about "being cut off" or "tailgaiting". Around here, unless someone actually makes you hit your brakes hard, they're not cutting you off. Unless you can't see the person's headlights behind you, it's not tailgaiting either.
You may WISH you weren't tailgaiting, but you can still see someone's headlights behind you and they can be tailgaiting you, depending on the speed the vehicles are traveling.

And if you end up in the car ahead of you's trunk because you are following too closely and they have to suddenly stop or slow down, you'll learn that question very quickly.

That's not just "around here", that's anywhere. The Laws of Physics don't vary from state to state.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
... The Laws of Physics don't vary from state to state.
but... the 'courtesy' rules of tailgating are QUITE different in TX

That 'shoulder driving' expectation @ 70 mph in the dark is still new to me

I used to change my flat tires on the shoulder.... Not in Texas!!! (splat)

Strange thing... the TX drivers do not get over on the shoulder when I follow them in my VW Diesel, Only when in my Cummins 4x4 dually with cow catcher bumper. It doesn't often get up to 80 mph... it is a 1st Gen so has the "Death Wobble"

4 seconds for me... BUT... After 40+ accident free miles, I have had 4 cars totaled in multi vehicle rear-end collisions since cell phone use began. It is raining (285 days / yr) - you are stopped in a line of traffic (turn lane or light). You hear this distant Squal of SUV tires locked up in the rain slicked road. You hear the progressive bang bang bang of cars being impacted like pool table balls... whiplash... you are the next in line, crunch you hit the guy in front (unless you ALSO use a 2-3 vehicle following rule at stoplight... (I have never bent the front ... that is where my precious 50mpg grease burner lives). AND NEVER EVER turn your wheels into traffic while waiting to turn... an errant driver might give you a BUMP into oncoming traffic... Splat..

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-19-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
The only 2 second rule that see people using is when they glance down to look at their tweets andthen back up.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:17 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, but I live the country. Down on the busy highways, if you leave a gap big enough for a car, a car WILL change lanes to occupy that space. Then you have to slow down to regain your 2 sec gap. When you slow down the driver behind you will get annoyed and pull out to pass you and then pull right back in front of you (right into the 2 sec gap). So then you have to slow down again... well you can tell where this is going.
So what?
How else are people supposed to safely change lanes?

This asinine tailgating makes it impossible.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The only 2 second rule that see people using is when they glance down to look at their tweets andthen back up.
Up for 2 and down for 4

Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

More people driving with their penis than their brains, apparently.

Who cares if they get in your lane? At no time will you actually be moving backwards.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive