Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
anyone who would buy something less superior for patriotism in my opinion is an idiot. when american car companies can make a car equally good in quality, gas mileage and price ill buy one very patriotically. i will not spend more than necessariy for an inferior product simply because its made here.
The problem is, people like you won't accept that the cars ARE of equal quality. You guys bring up crap you had in the far past and then say that the current products are just as bad. But you'll ignore the past products of foreign companies (like the crap '80s to late '90s Hyundais) and champion their current products as so much better.

I've had over a hundred cars in the last 35+ years, from most major manufacturers worldwide (American, European, Japanese, and Korean). Modern American cars are as good quality wise as anything out there. My 2013 Volt has been great, is built very well, is solid, economical and reliable. But you'd have to be open minded enough to actually drive one to see that. Or cars like the new Caddy ATS and new CTS.

As a taxpayer, it behooves me to see our investment in companies like this succeed, and do NOT wish them to fail, especially not, as with GM and Chrysler and almost Ford (who "mortgaged the house" just before the banks failed in order to secure credit to keep operating), because of the banking failure that caused credit to dry up for the manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
I only have two vehicles that were made in the US and only one of them is an American brand. That car is considered a classic. Shows how much I look at American cars. They don't make anything that deserves my money.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I only have two vehicles that were made in the US and only one of them is an American brand. That car is considered a classic. Shows how much I look at American cars. They don't make anything that deserves my money.
Almost nobody makes something that deserves your money.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:54 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If two products were equal, one "American" and one "not American" I'd buy the American one. But that never happens.
This is a great answer, and it just so happens that what I drive meets this criteria. You never catch me driving a Toyota Camry type car, but I would consider a Ford Fusion though. American manufacturers make some of the best. Cadillac Escalade is very popular amongst those that like to show off, and Fords Excursion. For people to say all American cars are junk is pure BS. My Ford trucks have been very dependable, and I laugh when I see some moron in Toyota, and Datsun's attempt at the real truck market. John Deere, Catapillar, and Boeing are other great example of why we can be proud to be American. To buy foreign blindly based on a perception of being better is just nuts!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
I work in the car rental industry. A customer of mine refused to rent a Toyota Camry because it was not an American car. I explained to him that it was built in Kentucky with a domestic content of 70%. I ended up renting him a Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was built in Saltillo Mexico with virtually no US domestic content. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
But read the fine print gang: 66% of the PT(on my window sticker) is made in the USA--its assembled in Mexico but engine-trans & whatever makes 66% is USA!! not bad because my brother just bought a Dodge Caliber made in Bellevidere,ILL (USA) same USA66%- content--- what the difference-just #'s!

Did you know that the PT Cruiser is a foreign car? - PT Cruiser Forum
Quote:
This is a great answer, and it just so happens that what I drive meets this criteria. You never catch me driving a Toyota Camry type car, but I would consider a Ford Fusion though. American manufacturers make some of the best. Cadillac Escalade is very popular amongst those that like to show off, and Fords Excursion. For people to say all American cars are junk is pure BS.
Some pretty funny stuff. A Camry is actually closer to 90% U.S. content, and yes, built in either Kentucky or Indiana. The Fusion, most built in Mexico, a few recently built in Michigan, is closer to about 20% U.S. content.

I used to have a cranky neighbor who liked to thank people he knew with Fords for in his words, "providing plenty of jobs for Mexicans in their homeland and helping to keep them out of HIS neighborhood."

Not not my sentiment at all, but not an untrue statement either.

And I dont know what year PT Cruiser you have, but the bulk of them produced actually have a 27% "domestic" content.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Some pretty funny stuff. A Camry is actually closer to 90% U.S. content, and yes, built in either Kentucky or Indiana. The Fusion, most built in Mexico, a few recently built in Michigan, is closer to about 20% U.S. content.

I used to have a cranky neighbor who liked to thank people he knew with Fords for in his words, "providing plenty of jobs for Mexicans in their homeland and helping to keep them out of HIS neighborhood."

Not not my sentiment at all, but not an untrue statement either.

And I dont know what year PT Cruiser you have, but the bulk of them produced actually have a 27% "domestic" content.
Great story, but I'll repeat, the Fusion is made in America (North America), and I would rather have it than a Camry. These percentages can be skewed this way or that, but I'd rather have the Ford Europe 4 cylinder myself. Fusion is made in Hermosillo just South of Arizona.

My F150 is number 1, and my Corvette is up there too being made in the US. My 55 CJ5 has Koyo bearings in the T-case? My point is more that there are better American designs than driving one of those foreign cars that all look the same. Both Ford and GM have been in Canada for years.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Great story, but I'll repeat, the Fusion is made in America (North America), and I would rather have it than a Camry. These percentages can be skewed this way or that, but I'd rather have the Ford Europe 4 cylinder myself. Fusion is made in Hermosillo just South of Arizona.

My F150 is number 1, and my Corvette is up there too being made in the US. My 55 CJ5 has Koyo bearings in the T-case? My point is more that there are better American designs than driving one of those foreign cars that all look the same. Both Ford and GM have been in Canada for years.
I'd rather have the Ford Fusion too, even though it's an import from a foreign country whereas the Camry is Made in the USA. But that's because I think the Ford Fusion is just a better product and don't much care that it's not "Made in America." Sure, it's made in the Mexico, which is in North America. Doesn't bother me one way or another. If they made in China and it didn't suck I wouldn't care either.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd rather have the Ford Fusion too, even though it's an import from a foreign country whereas the Camry is Made in the USA. But that's because I think the Ford Fusion is just a better product and don't much care that it's not "Made in America." Sure, it's made in the Mexico, which is in North America. Doesn't bother me one way or another. If they made in China and it didn't suck I wouldn't care either.
I'm still leery of Chinese made products, and will always pay more for the best product whether USA, Swiss, or whatever. The Camry is still a Foreign though no matter what you claim, because it is designed, and owned by a foreign corporation. The Fusion is American, because Ford is in Detroit even if stuff is made in Windsor, or Hermosillo.

While I've had good luck with my Chinese made I-Phone, I haven't had the same luck with Chinese aftermarket automotive products. My Carhartt shirts were fine at first when they went overseas, and then they changed cotton quality. I will always buy an American company before a foreign if it is as good.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Almost nobody makes something that deserves your money.
Almost is the keyword here.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Quote:

No biggie.. but you are then a proud American who is doing a fine job of keeping many of Mexico's workers employed. Nothing wrong with that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive