Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,741 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchasing my first car. The car I am looking at is a bmw 328i. I looked at the bluebook value, and it said it was priced at 24,817, and the dealer listed it at 24,900.

I am looking to negotiate an out the door price because I just want to know the final price I will be paying. I was wondering how much I could negotiate? I was going to try and get 23,000 out the door. Any advice? Would this price be too low?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
What year is it?

If being sold at a major dealership, don't expect them to come down all that much, especially if this is a BMW dealership. I have been surprised now and then but for the most part, the major dealers tend to not budge much on used cars, especially if only a few years old. You don't have as much bargaining power as with new cars and your interest rate might actually be a tad higher than with a new car.

Keep in mind dealerships usually tack on fees like prep charges and stuff as well that could be $250 or so in value. Do you also pay taxes on the purchase as well? You didn't mention state so unsure what that amount would be of if you even need to pay it. Assuming 5% that's over $1k you'll need to add to purchase price.

Offering $23k out the door on a used car prob won't fly. Reality is the dealer would probably need to knock off $3-3.5k off the price of the car, the add in the taxes, title, and other fees to get you at $23k OTD. Realistically, expect to pay full price plus TTL.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 AM

4 posts, read 13,741 times
The year is 2011. The dealership is just a local dealership, not a major dealership.

I live in California.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What year is it?

If being sold at a major dealership, don't expect them to come down all that much, especially if this is a BMW dealership. I have been surprised now and then but for the most part, the major dealers tend to not budge much on used cars, especially if only a few years old. You don't have as much bargaining power as with new cars and your interest rate might actually be a tad higher than with a new car.

Keep in mind dealerships usually tack on fees like prep charges and stuff as well that could be $250 or so in value. Do you also pay taxes on the purchase as well? You didn't mention state so unsure what that amount would be of if you even need to pay it. Assuming 5% that's over $1k you'll need to add to purchase price.

Offering $23k out the door on a used car prob won't fly. Reality is the dealer would probably need to knock off $3-3.5k off the price of the car, the add in the taxes, title, and other fees to get you at $23k OTD. Realistically, expect to pay full price plus TTL.

^^^^^ Sounds like a car dealer's advice.
There are no guidelines on used car pricing. Make an offer you can live with and let the dealer decide whether there's enough profit in it for them. Know that 328's are dime-a-dozen.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
I am not sure I would negotiate an "out the door" price myself. I think it complicates the negotiation from the buyer's perspective since the dealer is well trained in getting what they want out of numbers.

First, the car is already at a fair price. So the dealer will want an OTD price well in excess of blue book. Especially if you will owe a significant sales tax on it.

Also, you may get into games of agreeing on an "OTD" price, and then have the dealer still try to add taxes or fees. It could just complicate the negotiations, make for hard feelings, or leave you without the car.

If you have an OTD price in mind for it, figure out how much the car should cost to you minus the taxes and fees. Offer that. It should get you what you want. If they tack on excessive fees, negotiate on them instead.

IMO, I doubt this dealer will move much anyway. They are already pricing it at blue book value. Also, dealers typically do not have problems moving BMW's. So I doubt they are eager to dump it for minimal profit just to move it, unless it has sat on their lot a long time.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Bring your own financing. Don't let them run credit. I would start the offer at wholesale because they probably took it on trade well below that. Bring a calculator. I would take 25% off their asking price. 3 series are a dime a dozen. You can get your own financing and buy used from a private party. Just have the car checked before you purchase by a BMW mechanic. I wouldn't offer more than wholesale
Cars are a dime a dozen. If they won't play ball walk away.

Just look at all the charges and add them up. If they try to sell you some accessories or services say no. Ndont fall in love with the car and know if the deal isn't going walk. Don't sit there for hours. If it's not a go in 20-30 minutes theire gonna wear you down and you'll end up paying full pop.
When you walk with your own financing and no trade in you can just get up and walk out

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-02-2014 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
A 3-year old, $25k BMW is your first car? To each his own, but I'd be inclined to point you toward a $5,000 Accord.

That said, when you're trying to buy a car from any dealership, you have to know what you're willing to pay. And you have to be willing to walk away. According to the "book value" I'm seeing, that's a $20k-$22k car.

If they won't meet you on the price, walk away. Don't him-haw around. Walk away.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyho08 View Post
I am looking to purchasing my first car. The car I am looking at is a bmw 328i. I looked at the bluebook value, and it said it was priced at 24,817, and the dealer listed it at 24,900.

I am looking to negotiate an out the door price because I just want to know the final price I will be paying. I was wondering how much I could negotiate? I was going to try and get 23,000 out the door. Any advice? Would this price be too low?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You are not providing enough information. How many miles on it? Is it still under warranty? Did the previous owner do any modifications? Is is a coupe or sedan ?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
^^^^^ Sounds like a car dealer's advice.
I'm not a dealer. Just someone who tends to look at 10-15 cars of a certain model before getting one. I've been frustrated by plenty of dealers.

Small user car dealer, like the OP said, would probably be easier to deal with

Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Bring your own financing. Don't let them run credit. I would start the offer at wholesale because they probably took it on trade well below that. Bring a calculator. I would take 25% off their asking price. 3 series are a dime a dozen. You can get your own financing and buy used from a private party. Just have the car checked before you purchase by a BMW mechanic. I wouldn't offer more than wholesale
Cars are a dime a dozen. If they won't play ball walk away.
3 series ARE a dime a dozen makes the guides that much more accurate. The fact thatThere is nothing wrong with your advice, but there are advantages to going to a dealer, especially a reputable one. Namely, you can go back if there turn out to be issues, and sometimes get them to work with you. He can offer wholesale value (kbb trade in, more or less) but they aren't likely to come down to that. The store has money tied up in the car and has to make money on it. It depends where OP is located, but figure 10% on top of the price, all said and done, to be sage. If you can get them at 23k, you've done alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive