Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Where the brands looked different. Now, they all pretty much look the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ain't that the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is one of the best posts in this thread!
So misguided and factually wrong. As has been proven on th is forum time and time again.

Cars have ALWAYS looked like other cars of their era. ALWAYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Miss: Vent windows,
I miss the function, but not the wind whistling around them when the seals would start to shrink. Raise your hand if you've ever stuck a gum wrapper under the handle to quiet them down.

One think I really do miss is the vents in the kick panels. You could open those things up and crack the back window about an inch to get a really good breeze in the cabin out on the highway without too much road noise.

Quote:
bumper jacks (instead of the flimsy ones you get now),
I usually carry a small hydraulic floor jack, but I generally prefer a scissor jack to a bumper jack.

Quote:
Don't Miss: .....dimmer switch on floor sometimes rots/sticks
The upside to those switches were that it was a quick, easy, and cheap repair when they went out, compared to the multi-purpose switches on the steering column. Plus I hate having so much crap on the steering column; I drove my mom's car over the weekend, it has four levers on there, none of which shift the transmission.

Everything else you posted I agree with.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The upside to those switches were that it was a quick, easy, and cheap repair when they went out
Not so much when your foot went through the floorboard, though ...

Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not so much when your foot went through the floorboard, though ...
When that happens your problems extend a little beyond the dimmer switch.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So misguided and factually wrong. As has been proven on th is forum time and time again.

Cars have ALWAYS looked like other cars of their era. ALWAYS.
You post drawings of a model year that is irrelevant to posters speaking in 2014 of their own experience and you think you've proven something?

Those of us whose parents drove brand new '59 Bonnevilles or '64 Thunderbirds know exactly what those posters were talking about and they were spot on.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You post drawings of a model year that is irrelevant to posters speaking in 2014 of their own experience and you think you've proven something?

Those of us whose parents drove brand new '59 Bonnevilles or '64 Thunderbirds know exactly what those posters were talking about and they were spot on.

I post drawings because it's easy to see the similaroties in the cars of the era. You can do that with '50s and '60s cars and know exactly what era the cars are from even if you dont' know cars.

One car stands out in that picture (not a drawing) because it points the way to the NEXT era.

You may not know what car this is, but you can tell what ERA it's from and possibly even what YEAR it's from just by the shared styling cues of the era.

I grew up restoring cars from the '30s, '40s. and '50s, and driving cars of the '50s, '60s, and '70s. it was my JOB to know the differences between cars at a glance and know what year and model they were in order to restore them properly. And I can tell you that to people that know modern cars, ALL CARS OF THE '50S LOOK ALIKE, and same for all cars of the '60s. They'll know it's an old car they are looking at, but not what model, due to the similarities. Just like for you guys that are stuck in the past, all modern cars look alike. The fact is, cars of each era have ALWAYS shared styling cues and were only told apart by their DETAILS, which are relatively minor. Even more important, modern cars trucks and SUVs/CUVs have more differences than cars have ever had.

My new Volt looks nothing like my MINI, which looks nothing like a new Accord, which looks nothing like a new Fusion, which looks nothing like a new Charger, which looks nothing like a new Camry, which looks nothing like a new Range Rover, which looks nothing like a new BRZ, which looks nothing like a new Caddy ATS, which looks nothing like a BMW 3 series, which looks... well, you get the picture.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Love that B&W photo, Merc. Very cool.

Each era had its trend and styling cues, I do have to agree.

Maybe because I'm older the new models just seem to have no soul. Everything looks foreign. JMHO. They all have those cat eye headlights. I guess it's the era. I hate the new Yukon, it's ugly to me.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Exactly right. The late-'50s to late-'70s American cars were easy to identify. My mom and a few of her sisters knew a '58 Chevy from a '58 Ford or a '58 Plymouth, even from 50 feet away!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Love that B&W photo, Merc. Very cool.

Each era had its trend and styling cues, I do have to agree.

Maybe because I'm older the new models just seem to have no soul. Everything looks foreign. JMHO. They all have those cat eye headlights. I guess it's the era. I hate the new Yukon, it's ugly to me.
You are correct. When a late-model Buick looks like a late-model Toyota, something is wrong!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I miss that they could be repaired at reasonable cost by any capable mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive