Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,245,805 times

Advertisements

I just replaced a 2004 subaru forester with a 2014 mazda 6; the forester was a family car and my sibling needed it.

Things I miss:
- AWD. In 10 years of AWD never skidded or burned rubber when accelerating. Just got my first taste of that within the second day of the new car ownership.

- Manual transmission. Fun to drive, and felt totally, completely, in control of the car. Also less prone to daydreaming and not paying attention to the road. The automatic in the new car is nice and less pain in the butt in traffic, but I still miss shifting manually and the sport shift doesn't simulate the manual hardly.

- Wagon height. Easy to get in and out of. New car have to squat down, and more compact dimensions means being very careful not to hit head on doorjamb. Also not used to sitting so low to the ground in a sedan.

- Simplified controls. Don't have to refer to owners' manual to figure out complicated controls on dashboard.

- Compact size. the steering wasn't that responsive but the compact dimensions compared to the new car, helped with perceived maneuverability and on narrow roads I didn't feel like I was going to brush the sides of passing cars.

Things I don't miss:
- Pronounced road noise. I suppose the rubber insulating the doors breaks down after a while. at highway speeds I can barely hear the radio and having a conversation with a person would be difficult. New car is much more insulated.

- AWD. One year, I had two instances of a flat tire, which required replacing all four tires. I had to do that twice. If i get a flat in the new car I can just replace that tire.

- Glass windows. the glass windows were completely clear with no treatment for UV or heat protection. UV shielding, at least the UVB rays seems standard now. I'll be treating the new car anyways. In the old car you could get a sunburn, though I should have gotten the windows treated and problem solved.

This didn't really bother me so much but shortly after we got the car, we were informed by a family member, who had also bought a forester, that they were perceived as the "gay" car, lol. whatever. I really miss it even though the new car is a nice one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,029,046 times
I usually miss two or three things with previous vehicles, either their styling (for my sports cars) or their utility (SUV's) or the "fun" factor (sports cars/convertibles.)

Really miss my old Stealth turbo. Looked amazing, even after all this time. The reality of it is though, that driving it was a pain, and it didn't perform nearly as well as newer sports cars, nor feel as good on the road, even though it was extensively modded.

Also miss my Jeep Liberty. It was a cheap SUV with cloth seats that was the perfect beater car for towing/hauling things, taking my dog in, driving on the beach, etc. Lots of utility with that thing, more so than my current Jeep GC IMO.

Also miss my previous convertibles, because hey, they were convertibles.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,279,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
What do you miss about your old cars?
I miss wondering how the scan feature in my Town & Country radio worked in my 1956 Ford Fairlane. The dial needle was actually driven across the face of the radio I suppose by ropes and pulleys with electric motors that you could hear running. How the radio "knew" when it came across a strong station was the mystery.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,597,926 times
my 92 Tercel and my 88 tercel didn't have anything to miss compared to my new Yaris, but i miss my 71 Plymouth Duster sold in 1985. I felt a ton of pride driving a 70's Plymouth around amidst faceless 80's cars and having people ask me about it. tho it rode harshly, my hands often got numb from road vibration transmitted thru the steering wheel, and it didn't hold the road well in snow and ice(sensitive to crosswinds too)it still had a "substantial" feel that was hard to describe.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:25 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,748,896 times
The feeling of a large, older car is like nothing else. Real power steering, floaty suspensions, a big and solid feel, that if you hit something it would just go right through the object and keep on going without a scratch, the style that is gone for years now, because everything looks and feels the same. My 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo looks nice but feels like a Toyota Camry. And the seats are too hard nowadays.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM

17,513 posts, read 17,442,836 times
I miss manual Windows and ease of DIY repairs.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,298 posts, read 80,559,021 times
What I miss the most is from the 1972 El Camino that I had from 2002-2007 when I had to sell it due to financial situation and gas prices at $4.

The sound of the cowl induction hood sucking air when I jumped on it
The sound of the oversize dual exhaust
The smell of unburned gas fumes
The power

Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,842,456 times
The pavement ripping torque and sounds of the old gas guzzling 396 (1970 Chevy Chevelle SS) and 455 (1973 Pontiac Grand Ville) V8s!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,476,632 times
I miss having something nice to lean on - the new car armrests are junky or not in the right place for a leaner.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,637,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The feeling of a large, older car is like nothing else. Real power steering, floaty suspensions, a big and solid feel, that if you hit something it would just go right through the object and keep on going without a scratch, the style that is gone for years now, because everything looks and feels the same. My 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo looks nice but feels like a Toyota Camry. And the seats are too hard nowadays.
Yep; the room ;less road noise from being not so low to roadway and the ride of a heavier car can't be duplicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive