U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What 2014 vehicle would you buy in 2-3 years used?
Audi A4/5 8 17.78%
Lexus IS 350 13 28.89%
BMW 328i 12 26.67%
Infiniti G37 12 26.67%
Acura TL 6 13.33%
Mercedes C Class 3 6.67%
Hyundai Genesis 1 2.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,665,259 times

Advertisements

In two to three years I will likely need a new car.
I drive a loaded 1998 6 cyl Toyota Camry, 140k miles, and altho it's the least sporty car I've ever owned, it is zippy and reliable and has done a yeoman's job of transporting me in comfort, safety, and reliability for almost 13 years. (I bought it off-lease in 2000 for $13.8k w 22k Odo miles).

Now I am retired but looking ahead to my next, and possibly last great purchase, so i want it to be a good one.
I will spend around $40k on an entry level, compact sport sedan or coupe and want a car that is a serious step up from my Toyo so it has to be quick, good handling and beautiful, with as many bells and whistles as possible. If I had the money to burn I'd get an Audi S5 yesterday, but that is out of my price range now.

So, what 2014 vehicle would you buy used in a few years?

Sorry, but I don't want an American car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,232,873 times
What about a used certified S5?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,844,077 times
I was going to suggest the Mustang, you can load one of those up pretty good for 40k, and Ford makes the most reliable cars of any American car company today. And a lot of idiots say "duh hur rear axle!" without any understanding that that rear axle has 60 years of heritage in it and Ford has made it really good in all except the worst road conditions. Further, All my friends who own post-2005 Fords never had anything go wrong with it except maybe a button on the interior. That's it. Bulletproof. Meanwhile the Toyotas and other Japanese manufacturers have really gone downhill in terms of quality. However ... if you are really dead set against an American car ...

A little supercharged Miata will be really zippy in the bends if you live in an area with curves. Those little things are monsters at the autocross track. A BRZ and a Scion FR-S will do well, get one to your preference (AWD vs. RWD). I would buy new, not used, in both those cases.

I would also consider the Lancer Evo and the Impreza STi.

I rode in a later model Infinity G37 and it was NOISY as heck in the cabin. The road noise was deafening. The Lexus is willowy and let's face it, it still hasn't shaken off the Grandpa's bucket of honey image. The A4 is a nice little car, though it will cost more to maintain. Same with the 328i. Same with the C class. Trust me, I've owned German sports cars before, and while a dream to drive, they're $$$$$$ to maintain. I estimated my old Z4 was running about 250 a MONTH to maintain after the complimentary 5 years maintenance plan ran out.

The Genesis is a good car but more of a commuter car.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,160,085 times
I really had a touch choice out of all of them except for the fwd TL.....Until I saw the Genesis.. The 429hp V8 and 8 speed version is a monster compared to the others though.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,160,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I was going to suggest the Mustang, you can load one of those up pretty good for 40k, and Ford makes the most reliable cars of any American car company today. All my friends who own post-2005 Fords never had anything go wrong with it except maybe a button on the interior. That's it. Bulletproof. Meanwhile the Toyotas and other Japanese manufacturers have really gone downhill in terms of quality. However ... if you are really dead set against an American car ...

A little supercharged Miata will be really zippy in the bends if you live in an area with curves. Those little things are monsters at the autocross track. A BRZ and a Scion FR-S will do well, get one to your preference (AWD vs. RWD). I would buy new, not used, in both those cases.

I would also consider the Lancer Evo and the Impreza STi.

Those all are plenty good cars. But from the list the OP put up it seems they are aware that they desire something with a lil more refinement than those you brought up.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Those all are plenty good cars. But from the list the OP put up it seems they are aware that they desire something with a lil more refinement than those you brought up.
Hah, I thought perhaps too, but why blow more money on an entry level sporty car rather than buy a simpler car that is then tuned up for racing and will be cheaper to maintain? I dunno, it's up tot he OP, I just lent an opinion.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,907,315 times
What about the Cadillac ATS? That's not on your list. Of your list, I really like the looks of the new IS. But from everything I've read in the past year, the ATS is the bee's knees!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:26 AM

6,256 posts, read 15,748,760 times
For that price, you should be able to buy a used Cadillac CTS-V. I know you don't want an American car, but for a sedan, that's one of the better options out there at that price.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:42 AM

327 posts, read 724,010 times
I was going to suggest ATS as well, then I saw no American cars. Next suggestion would be 335.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM

227 posts, read 1,022,119 times
Obviously a 1 year old e class for 40k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive