Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times

Advertisements

low ballers are easy to counter, tell them no. I do that all the time. If they persist tell them you are not their wholesaler, and if they want a car to flip go find one elsewhere.

Test drives? Of course you ask to see a drivers license and you go with them. And feel free to say no if you aren't comfortable. You are selling a car, not creating a magical wonderful buying experience.

Tire kickers? It's so much easier to stroll through the dealer's lots than set an appointment with a private buyer. I've been known to go kick a tire or 2, as long as I don't waste the saleman's time to an abusive degree I don't see a problem, and it has been that I've gone back and bought later.

And if they ask me to take payments, I know they are not serious and we can conclude the process right now.

Last edited by GnomadAK; 12-27-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
And if they ask me to take payments, I know they are serious and we can conclude the process right now.

That one always cracks me up when I'm selling a cheap car. Take payments? I'm not a bank. And if you can't afford a $1000 car without making payments on it, you might not be in a position to be buying a car.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
To avoid low offers:

1. List the vehicle at a reasonable price to begin with. Do not use dealer asking prices to set your price. Use actual sales prices (not asking prices) from your area and then try to price a little bit below the typical price.
2. Make sure you list the price for the vehicle a "firm"
Great advice. Do your research beforehand, and price accordingly, and be honest with yourself on condition of your car, as prospective buyers will definitely try to chew you down on condition if it's not up to snuff for the price.

Quote:
Perhaps the greater risk are unsavory characters who use the advert to get to you or your residence. For this reason, it is best to meet them in a public place that is not your home and where you are very visible. Perhaps the parknig lot of the local law enforcement agency.
Is this really a problem? I've sold a hundred cars and projects in the last 35+ years on both coasts and have never had this be an issue, regardless of the venue I'm selling at, be it a sign on the car in front of the house to Craigslist to ebay. And I can tell you I'm definitely not going to be hauling a non-running project car or parts car to some other location when the prospective buyer may not buy it. I've simply never had a problem with them coming to my house.

Quote:
One other suggestion I have gleaned from assisting family members and friends with used vehicle purchases: if you have modified the vehicle in any way, reverse the modification prior to listing the vehicle, particularly if the modifications are typical of immature vehicle owners (i.e. items marked as performance enhancement that really do nothing (modified air filtering systems for example), or items commonly referred to as "ricing" (unnecessary air scoops or spoilers for example, oversize wheels and/or very skinny tyres)). Such modifications tell a potential buyer the vehicle was likely abused and/or other modifications may have been done or attempted by a person with a lack of real understanding of what adds value to a a vehicle. When I assist a buyer in making a used vehicle purchase, such things always result in a red X on the listing.
If I'm selling a modified vehicle, I always tell people that are looking at it, "if you wanted a stock one, go look at a stock one." If they are looking at a modified car, it's because they want those modifications, themselves. Anyone trying to lowball me due to modifications gets sent packing. I've never had a problem selling a modified vehicle, and usually at a premium vs a stock one (though usually less than the cost of the car + mods). Why? Because I made sure to limit my dealings to people that were going to do those mods anyways, or really liked the car with the mods. Is it going to be a smaller pool of potential customers? Sometimes, yes (though trying to sell a common car in stock form can be hard due to there being too much competition for buyer dollars out there, and a tastefully modded car may sell quicker due to less competition). But sometimes it's simply a different pool of customers. And since you only need to sell to one person, it's not that big a deal in reality, so long as you advertise properly.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM

306 posts, read 657,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
low ballers are easy to counter, tell them no. I do that all the time. If they persist tell them you are not their wholesaler, and if they want a car to flip go find one elsewhere.
That is easy to deal with however how do you spot a lowballer BEFORE you offer them a test drive? Someone may say they are interested in your vehicle, drive it and then offer half the asking price for no apparent reason...

Old 12-27-2013, 12:29 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Very simple answer: Don't sell to the general public. Sell wholesale to a dealership that buys cars.

If you want to get close to retail, you might have to put up with some PITA "buyers." Goes with the territory.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I've bought a couple that way. I know how cars drive in general, I ask specific questions, and ask for specific pictures, so that when I get there, there is little else for me to do but do the paperwork. I bought my BMW 740iL off of ebay sight unseen other than pictures, and sent the deposit that day. The first time I drove it was to bring it home from Connecticut to Baltimore. Had that car for 5 years and loved it. I bought the last Range Rover for my wife from Long Island, NY off of Craigslist the same way.

I don't want to drive 5-6 states away and then play games. If I'm driving that far to get a car, then I've done my research, determined what might be wrong with a car at those miles, determined if the price is worth dealing with any unforseen problems (or known problem areas), and made up my mind that unless something is catastrophically wrong with it within the first couple minutes of seeing it, then I'm taking that car. I've had great luck doing so. In 38 years of buying cars I've never gotten burned, and I've bought a LOT of cars.

The only time I take test drives is if I didn't yet know if I want to drive that KIND of car, and I only take those test drives at delaerships, not private parties.

Ok but you're not the typical car buyer and it's certainly not because the seller didn't allow you to test drive the car. I'd look at a seller with jaundiced eyes if he didn't let be test drive a used car.

Buying a used car w/o a test drive is akin to buying a used car at auction. It's not something I'd recommend to a typical used car buyer. We're not talking about the corner cases of a used or nearly new exotic/high-performance car.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
That is easy to deal with however how do you spot a lowballer BEFORE you offer them a test drive? Someone may say they are interested in your vehicle, drive it and then offer half the asking price for no apparent reason...

Can you read minds? If not, then you can't predict what offer will come out of a person's mouth.
This is the "hassle" of selling a car on your own instead of trading in. You'll just have to determine whether the hassle is worth the reward.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
For those that have sold cars privately how do you avoid letting unsavory characters test drive your car? By "unsavory" I mean these types of people:

1 - people who do not know if yours is the make/model they want to buy and are using the test drive (like a dealership) to figure out if the type of car suits them. In my opinion the test drive for a used car should only be to evaluate the condition of the car and not to research the make/model.

2 - people who will make a ridiculously low offer (lowballers), say you're asking $6k which is within 10% of market price and they want it for $3k.

3 - people with questionable driving histories that may potentially wreck your car.

4 - people who have no intention of buying but have nothing better to do than go checking out used cars.
i get its a headache selling a car but i dont find i get tire kickcers looking to test drive random cars. if ive never owned a civic before you want me to go test drive one at a delaer before test driving yours? gimme a break.

maybe i test drie your car and im like oh camrys feel alot more solid sory for wasting your time. i cant know that without driving your car.

many people search for cars based on price not necessarily im looking for such and such car. whatever is the best car and best deal ill buy so maybe i come to chekout your car and realize hey i dont care for this car.

i totally get where your comming from but are you really going to interview every person who calls about your car. this is part of the headache that comes with selling a car, if its too mcuh for you go trade it into a dealer and take a couple grand less but this just comes with the terrirotry.

i gurantee you people have better things to do than come test drive your 91 camry. now if you have a delorian or something really unique or interesting okay maybe you'll get those but if you have a run of the mill used car its as much a headache to buyers shopping as it is for you selling. just because every person who comes and looks at it does't buy doesnt mean they arent' serious

Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Great advice. Do your research beforehand, and price accordingly, and be honest with yourself on condition of your car, as prospective buyers will definitely try to chew you down on condition if it's not up to snuff for the price.

Is this really a problem? I've sold a hundred cars and projects in the last 35+ years on both coasts and have never had this be an issue, regardless of the venue I'm selling at, be it a sign on the car in front of the house to Craigslist to ebay. And I can tell you I'm definitely not going to be hauling a non-running project car or parts car to some other location when the prospective buyer may not buy it. I've simply never had a problem with them coming to my house.

If I'm selling a modified vehicle, I always tell people that are looking at it, "if you wanted a stock one, go look at a stock one." If they are looking at a modified car, it's because they want those modifications, themselves. Anyone trying to lowball me due to modifications gets sent packing. I've never had a problem selling a modified vehicle, and usually at a premium vs a stock one (though usually less than the cost of the car + mods). Why? Because I made sure to limit my dealings to people that were going to do those mods anyways, or really liked the car with the mods. Is it going to be a smaller pool of potential customers? Sometimes, yes (though trying to sell a common car in stock form can be hard due to there being too much competition for buyer dollars out there, and a tastefully modded car may sell quicker due to less competition). But sometimes it's simply a different pool of customers. And since you only need to sell to one person, it's not that big a deal in reality, so long as you advertise properly.
unless you wait around for the perfect buyer ill many times look for cars with upgrades but wont pay anymore than i woudl for a stock car. maybe a small premium but you do upgrades understanding youll never recoup that money back

Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
That one always cracks me up when I'm selling a cheap car. Take payments? I'm not a bank. And if you can't afford a $1000 car without making payments on it, you might not be in a position to be buying a car.
my fav is people who expect a gem for $800. i was selling a geo tracker with 87k. was asking $600. pretty much anything rolling and running you can generally get $800 to $1000 for in my area.

i had guys comming out saying to cut out the rust is gonna cost me such and such. im like hey this is a beater for a college kid or something. it is what it is. you dont try to turn this into a show car. if you can get a year out of the car for $600 which you should your getting a pretty good deal but dont tell me how much body work you have to do on a car that is more rust than solid lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive