Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,191,502 times

Advertisements

If someone calls and the first thing out of their mouth is will you take x amount before they ask one question about the car I simply don't bother. I just say not interested thank you. If you can't take the time to come down look at what you are buying and make a offer go buy some pos. I price my cars at trade in. I have all records and I maintain them in great shape.

The lowballers I simply don't bother. I have never had a problem selling a car.

Test drives I let them test drive it, but has to show valid DL and I go on the drive. If they get stupid I can stop the drive and shut off the car.

I won't buy a used car without a test drive and having the vehicle checked out at my expense. You're right it is YOUR car but its MY money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:55 PM

427 posts, read 941,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
For those that have sold cars privately how do you avoid letting unsavory characters test drive your car? By "unsavory" I mean these types of people:

1 - people who do not know if yours is the make/model they want to buy and are using the test drive (like a dealership) to figure out if the type of car suits them. In my opinion the test drive for a used car should only be to evaluate the condition of the car and not to research the make/model.

2 - people who will make a ridiculously low offer (lowballers), say you're asking $6k which is within 10% of market price and they want it for $3k.

3 - people with questionable driving histories that may potentially wreck your car.

4 - people who have no intention of buying but have nothing better to do than go checking out used cars.
Find another job. That's how.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
I really don't see what the issue is. So many people have a problem with just laying it on the line, it's not offensive, get over it. Lowballers are easy to deal with, just make your price very clear in the ad, if they want to tire kick in person just continue to be firm and use the word "no"... its not hard.

Test drives are a gamble, if you are going to be firm on a price you owe them a test drive. I would expect a test drive thus I will allow them, simple as that. If you are worried, just go with them. Believe it or not I have had a couple people just toss me the keys and walked back into their house, I personally wouldn't be that nonchalant, but they were able to judge my character.

You don't know their motives and you probably won't find out, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe interview them for a minute asking what kind of cars they are looking for and why they were interested in your car.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:05 PM

180 posts, read 375,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
For those that have sold cars privately how do you avoid letting unsavory characters test drive your car? By "unsavory" I mean these types of people:

1 - people who do not know if yours is the make/model they want to buy and are using the test drive (like a dealership) to figure out if the type of car suits them. In my opinion the test drive for a used car should only be to evaluate the condition of the car and not to research the make/model.

2 - people who will make a ridiculously low offer (lowballers), say you're asking $6k which is within 10% of market price and they want it for $3k.

3 - people with questionable driving histories that may potentially wreck your car.

4 - people who have no intention of buying but have nothing better to do than go checking out used cars.

Give all the details and link to a gallery with more pictures of the engine so no useless questions like "what's the engine bay look like?" or "Does it have a clean title?". Nail down price negotiation before they arrive if your worried about people wasting time....tell them you photocopy all Driver licenses or at least hold wallets before test drives.

#4...unless your car is awesome or a collectible....that's the name of the game. They might not buy today but come back a week later.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 PM

725 posts, read 1,888,065 times
I really hate when someone calls after you specifically stated in the ad TEXT ONLY. Sometimes if I'm anxious to sell the car quickly I'll answer the phone when it's convenient.

Another pet peeve and a major clue you are dealing with a low baller is when the first question out of their mouths is "What is the lowest you will take for it?".....which to me indicated that don't have your asking price. I usually tell them my asking price is my lowest price and then they ask if I will take 2-3 hundred less. It's like what I just said to them when in one ear and out the other.

Also dislike too many questions that have already been clearly stated in the ad. Don't ask me for the mileage or if it runs or if I have a title when I already had that information in the ad. I understand that you may be looking at multiple cars and got confused on what car you were calling about but write down some notes so you can keep your cars straight.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I really hate when someone calls after you specifically stated in the ad TEXT ONLY. Sometimes if I'm anxious to sell the car quickly I'll answer the phone when it's convenient.
You do know that land-line phones can't send text messages, right?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
if you get bad vibes from potential buyers,,,,, tell them upfront what your bottom price is,, and stick to it... this will stop the low ballers in their tracks,,they will leave

Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If someone calls and the first thing out of their mouth is will you take x amount before they ask one question about the car I simply don't bother.
I think having someone make a low ball offer first thing when they call would actually eliminate the OP's problem of dealing with non-serious buyers.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,092,385 times
You tell them it will be $20 for a test drive. If they decide to buy it then that money goes towards the purchase. If not you keep it. That will weed out the tire kickers. Sometimes I want to drive different models myself, so I would have no probably paying the seller for the privilege.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
You tell them it will be $20 for a test drive. If they decide to buy it then that money goes towards the purchase. If not you keep it. That will weed out the tire kickers. Sometimes I want to drive different models myself, so I would have no probably paying the seller for the privilege.
That would never work here! I would be stuck with the car. Too many cheap skates and low ballers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive