Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM

19,034 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With an epidemic of obesity nationwide its not so easy to just lose 150lbs.
Not true. Losing is; making decision and sticking to it is NOT. Esp in environment where everything is geared towards fattening a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
I have a good, large male friend who owned a little hyundai econo-box.
When i followed him on the road he took up the entire front seat - or appeared to.
I almost wet my pants laughing.
I shared that with him - gently - and he had a laugh, too!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
From my childhood days, I can recall that there was a man who used to drive around town in his '57 Plymouth, while sitting sideways in the seat (with his back to the door). Apparently his belly was so large that he couldn't actually fit behind the steering wheel when facing front.

Even though this situation was a clear hazard (he couldn't look all the way to the left, and he had a very hard time pressing the brake pedal), for some reason or other, the local cops never saw fit to crack down on him. Most likely, there is/was no statute stating that you have to sit in a particular way when driving.

In addition to the safety problems noted above, his car did have a definite lean toward the driver's side, as a result of his incredible weight. But...in any event...there have always been obese people driving cars, and even with a large car like a '57 Plymouth, sometimes a car is not really large enough for an obese person.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From my childhood days, I can recall that there was a man who used to drive around town in his '57 Plymouth, while sitting sideways in the seat (with his back to the door). Apparently his belly was so large that he couldn't actually fit behind the steering wheel when facing front.

Even though this situation was a clear hazard (he couldn't look all the way to the left, and he had a very hard time pressing the brake pedal), for some reason or other, the local cops never saw fit to crack down on him. Most likely, there is/was no statute stating that you have to sit in a particular way when driving.

In addition to the safety problems noted above, his car did have a definite lean toward the driver's side, as a result of his incredible weight. But...in any event...there have always been obese people driving cars, and even with a large car like a '57 Plymouth, sometimes a car is not really large enough for an obese person.

Maybe he used his cane to poke at the pedals? Probably safer to be that morbidly obese back then driving in cars without airbags and an entire dashboard affixed with unforgiving steel objects.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Another I need to feel good about myself thread.

I want to know what's up with all the fat people driving SUVs.

I guess between that family size bag of Ruffles and getting home to watch crap television aka Duck Dynasty they could be living an active lifestyle.
X 1 million
Repped

Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I see a lot of obese people in tiny cars like Geo Metros, Hyundai Accents, etc. When they sit in it, it looks like the shocks and tires are about to burst.

I asked an obese guy why he has a subcompact that he can barely fit in, and he said it was because of its fuel economy. SMH ... Really?? Wouldn't it be better to just lose 150 lbs than sit in a sardine can with 4 tires? That spare tire he's carrying is probably why he was getting bad fuel economy in the first place
tell you what, you gain 150lbs, and then lose it and let us know the results of how easy it was. i can tell you that some people can lose it fairly easily, and others have a very hard time losing it. i have lost 140lbs since april, but i had to go on dialysis to do it.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
C'mon, boys, it's the future of the world
Hey...this is not supposed to be a political thread!
Why are you posting images of NJ Governor Chris Christie?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Another I need to feel good about myself thread.

I want to know what's up with all the fat people driving SUVs.

I guess between that family size bag of Ruffles and getting home to watch crap television aka Duck Dynasty they could be living an active lifestyle.
Well, the older guys at the Duck Dynasty seem to be in pretty good shape.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, the older guys at the Duck Dynasty seem to be in pretty good shape.
The people wearing their Wal*Mart Duck Dynasty wife beater hopping into Adesa auto auctions blown out refugee Chevy Suburban with a family size bag of Ruffles and an IV drip bottle of about 30 litre of Sams Best Root beer not so much. I've seen more super sized fat people driving fullsize SUV's and they're not carrying canoes or camping equipment. It seems the good looking people have that stuff tied to the top of their Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive