Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Depends...

I do 12,000 miles or 1 yr using Synthetic in my Diesels. They get a fresh Qt and HIGH quality COMMERCIAL Filter every 5k.

Most of my farm trucks and tractors and motorhome get the annual "fall season" change.

If anything tows heavy, or gets hot, or is used to fight a range fire or in heavy dust... it gets a change.

I have 3 million fleet miles without an oil / wear related engine failure.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
We follow our vehicle manuals reccomendations so we change the oil once a year which is every 5000 miles.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would also go no more than 6 months on an oil change.
We do less than 4k per year on the Sonata and I've been doing the 6 month thing mostly because the manual mentions it as a minimum and I don't want to void the vehicle warranty with something so trivial.

But for another vehicle using synthetic and also low mileage, which typically is once a year change with regular mileage, would you say 1.5-2 years is ok? Even the owner of a reputable shop says 2 years is likely ok for today's synthetics. With low mileage (don't even move it often) though, I may do 1.5 years... ?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
The owners manual for my Ford states every 500 miles...

I admit to pushing it sometimes and will go 700 to 750 miles between changes.

Part of the reason is cars from 1930 have no oil filter.

2002 BMW is once a year or 15,000 miles.

I still do every 2500 miles on my 1985 Chevrolet Van... it works very hard up and down San Francisco Hills and timewise this works out to about once a year... also grease the chassis while I'm under there.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
There are as many opinions on changing oil as there are people who drive. One thing that can't be disputed is that oil is the cheapest part you will ever put into your motor, and changing it frequently is never going to be a bad thing.

In my daily driver I usually change at 3000 or even less because I only drive it around town. In my hot rods I change it every 1,000 miles or less because they don't get driven much at all, are over carbed, and I run them hard. Oil can have acids from the cast iron contaminate it, even if you never started the car.

I used to run Mobil 1, but have recently changed to Quicksilver 25-40 synthetic blend and can see a difference in the performance, oil pressure, and temperature.

One thing I will never do is run a Fram filter........too many horror stories of them failing, so I run Bosch or Purolator most times.

Don

Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
"3 months or 3,000 miles" was a beautiful bit of ad copy, and it continues to sell oil to this day, but its probably overkill for most of us. With synthetic or semisynthetic oil, don't worry about the oil breaking down within a year. If your really interested, test the pH of the oil to see when you need to change it.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:14 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
When I started driving in the 80's, I was always changing oil every 3K miles. As cars have gotten better engineered, I follow the manufacturers recommendations for oil changes, whatever they may be. and have never had problems.

I have a car that I rarely drive (4-5K miles a year) and change the oil once per year (Mobile 1 or Pennzoil Synthetic) and never had any problems. My daily commuter car gets a change every 10K miles (Mobile 1).

Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM

793 posts, read 1,418,930 times
I do once every 2 years on one car... that's how long it takes me to get to 8500 miles.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
If you really want to push the limits of your oil change, send a sample to Blackstone Labs and have them analyze the oil in your engine.

Blackstone Labs

They can give you feedback on how your engine is wearing, and if you can stretch your oil change interval longer, or need to bring it in to compensate for wear. This sort of direct measurement is really the only way to tailour your individual oil change routine to your engine.

As for anything else, we can only generalize. 3000/3month is a generalization, but the lenght between oil changes depends on the miles driven and the type of fluid.

It's somewhat normal to go 10-12K miles or 1 year on synthetic oil, especially if equipped with a high volume oil pan (my mercedes specs 1 year and has a 9 qt pan), while conventional fluids might require shorter intervals. I have a car that sits and as a personal rule, i don't let oil sit for more than 6 months even though it sees 100 miles/year. Old oils tend to contain acids and other byproducts formed by combustion, so i don't want that to sit in my engine for a long period of time.

My other concern would be oil consumption. Some engines do consume some oil during normal life. The nissan 3.5L was a notorious oil burner, and many high-mileage motors do have issues with valvetrain rattle/knock due to oil levels falling slightly. Most people never pull their dipsticks, so suggesting they get an oil change ever 3K might save them expensive repairs down the road if they are running on only 1-2 quarts by the time they hit 5K miles or so.

I hate to suggest cutting corners like that, but most people view their cars as an appliance and probably have never popped the hood and done simple repairs....especially if they complain about simple stuff like putting air in the tires.

BUT, oil changes are cheap (with converntional fluid for most cars), and it doesn't hurt to change sooner than later, so why risk it?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,233 times
It really depends on your use. With light use a synthetic oil can go 10k or 15k without changing it. I only put about 5k a year on my truck, but at a bare minimum I change it once a year (around September).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive