Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM

358 posts, read 886,756 times

Advertisements

My brother in law is purchasing a used (2010 or 2009) pick up truck. For some reason family members always turn to me to assist with selection of vehicles they want to purchase. He wants a 4 door 4x4 pick up truck. He lives in a cold climate (Illinois), and frequently travels long distances with 4 adults in his vehicle both on main roads and on dirt tracks that are nearly impassible to normal vehicles. He wants a truck in part because he is getting involved in riding off road motor cycles and ATVs, participates in camping, kayaking and canoeing activities, and in part because they do a lot of building, gardening and landscaping on their property, so he wants to be able to haul lumber, dirt, rocks, manure, trees and plants. He is adamant that he must have lockable storage for tools without losing space in the bed area so he has narrowed his choices down to a Chevy Avalanche LTZ or a Dodge Ram Laramie with rambox cargo management. He is quite large, both tall and fat. So he needs a roomy vehicle that still has back seat space with the front seat pushed all the way back. Comfortable seats are important.

After some online research and a visit to a dealership to drive an example of each vehicle, I am somewhat inclined to recommend the Dodge Ram Laramie to him over the Avalanche LTZ, but I have little knowledge of pick up trucks and have never owned one. Surely there are persons in this forum with more experience and knowlege of these vehicles than I and if you would share your experiences and knowlege I would be grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
pretty much have him test drive a Ford F150, Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500 and Ram 1500 and go from there when it comes to half-ton working as well as daily driving pick-up trucks...

There is one thing the big 3 are still the best at and the full-size truck is only category that you will get loyal diehard opinions on what brand of truck to get and I am a Ford guy so I would recommend the F-series but that is just IMO.

Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the Big-3 full size trucks made in the 3-5 years since in the end they all pretty much even out in terms of Capability/Reliability/Durability.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Definitely no Truck Expert here, Brendan . . .

However, there must be a reason behind the fact that Rams have never held their value compared to Chevrolet / GMC and Ford Trucks.

As an example . . . back in 2005 I sold my 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4 after 18 years and about 130k miles of near perfect service for $12k which was only about $4k less than what I paid for it when new.

Even though your BIL is buying and not selling . . . something to keep in mind.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Brendan, simply ask your relative to spend some time in Dodge and GM truck forums. About 2 days, as there will be PLETHORA of reading to do. Also, I owned Silverado.
NONE of those is a true offroad truck, and that's what your relative sounds like. NONE of those is known as golden standard of reliability.
Unfortunately, there is not really much choice in Japanese makes trucks wise. There is Tundra and Frontier, but they are both made in IN and TN, and I'd rather not recommend those, though community here here buys Tundras and I have not heard any bad words on them yet. Frontier appears to be a most reliable one, but it is likely to be too small for your man.
Another option is to get a decades proven go anywhere vehicle - Landcruiser, and simply tow a utility trailer. Japan made Landcruiser is one heck of a vehicle.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Get a 8 foot bed. Any short bed or 5 foot bed is worthless for real hauling. If he is really looking for towing off road and handyman stuff get a 3/4 ton. I don't even bother with 1/2 ton trucks

Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Brendan, simply ask your relative to spend some time in Dodge and GM truck forums. About 2 days, as there will be PLETHORA of reading to do. Also, I owned Silverado.
NONE of those is a true offroad truck, and that's what your relative sounds like. NONE of those is known as golden standard of reliability.
Unfortunately, there is not really much choice in Japanese makes trucks wise. There is Tundra and Frontier, but they are both made in IN and TN, and I'd rather not recommend those, though community here here buys Tundras and I have not heard any bad words on them yet. Frontier appears to be a most reliable one, but it is likely to be too small for your man.
Another option is to get a decades proven go anywhere vehicle - Landcruiser, and simply tow a utility trailer. Japan made Landcruiser is one heck of a vehicle.
Tundras are built in Texas and have been for quite a few years.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
Default Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Get a 8 foot bed. Any short bed or 5 foot bed is worthless for real hauling. If he is really looking for towing off road and handyman stuff get a 3/4 ton. I don't even bother with 1/2 ton trucks
Both of the trucks are decent vehicles, as well as the Fords, Toyotas, and Nissan.
If you kin will be using the truck as you describe, the longer beds are very helpful.
Even with the Ram's 6.5 foot bed, your full size dirt bike will hang out requiring the tail gate to remain open.
Not ever truck comes in the largest cab and a longest box.
I think the best advice is for your kin to go drive a few and decide.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
Both of the trucks are decent vehicles, as well as the Fords, Toyotas, and Nissan.
If you kin will be using the truck as you describe, the longer beds are very helpful.
Even with the Ram's 6.5 foot bed, your full size dirt bike will hang out requiring the tail gate to remain open.
If you need a family truck that gets a bag of mulch on the weekends and takes Mickey and Minnie to baseball practice and ballet class a 1/2 ton will work fine.
If you need a truck to do real work like carry sheets of pkywood, drywall, 2 pallets of tile a 1/2 ton will seriously be owerworked. The difference wpbetween a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is so small might as well get heavier duty parts and a better truck

Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
If you need a family truck that gets a bag of mulch on the weekends and takes Mickey and Minnie to baseball practice and ballet class a 1/2 ton will work fine.
If you need a truck to do real work like carry sheets of pkywood, drywall, 2 pallets of tile a 1/2 ton will seriously be owerworked. The difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is so small price wisemight as well get heavier duty parts and a better overall truck with better resale value

Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 12,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you need a truck to do real work like carry sheets of pkywood, drywall, 2 pallets of tile a 1/2 ton will seriously be owerworked. The difference wpbetween a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is so small might as well get heavier duty parts and a better truck
That used to be the case 10 years ago. Today I disagree w/ your conclusion. Half tons w/ heavy load packages are more capable than 3500 gassers of 10 years ago.

The difference between a half ton and 3/4 is massive, most notably in the price. Not the sticker price, the actual paid price. Dealers knock 20-25% off all Big 3 1500 series trucks w/ consistency around the US. HD trucks youre lucky to knock off half that.

Per bed length, measure what you want to load. That's it.

Based on what you tell me, the Avalanche is the winner. The Avalanche is easier to drive in the elements due to less overall length, suspension and AWD capability. It tows slightly less vigorously than a Ram for obvious suspension reasons, but less than 5k pounds regularly is absolutely w/in the Avalanche comfort zone.

Dodge also has some of the worst safety ratings in the auto industry, the lowest resale value a well-earned reputation for bad reliability.

Hurry though, they are discontinuing the Avalanche soon.

I would also consider a Honda Ridgeline if you can get past the awful looks. They are much better value than the aforementioned, a more comfortable ride, better than both in the snow and tow 3000lbs very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive